Irina Article In Russian | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Irina Article In Russian

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

I think you've got the right idea. The interviewer started the conversation by refering to Irina's failure. She wouldn't take Irina's word for being happy with having won a medal, but kept pressing her to reveal her disappointment with her failure. I guess Irina was the weakest link in a Russian field of gold medal winners across the other three disciplines. Her home country expected the gold from her; they wanted to sweep al four disciplines.

alicelouise said:
This is coming from a person who is not a fan of IS. This struck me as an "ambush" interview. I just wonder if her frustration was more at the reporter. He/she seemed like a real jerk. Sasha and Michelle's publicists(if they have them) wouldn't have let them near this person.

I can read some Russian. The reporter referred to Irina's 800 ruble cocktail. It was written in such a snide manner. Is the Russian press so down on her because she didn't complete the sweep of Gold medals?

If Russian athletes have to do this, it's understandable if they have a chip on their shoulder.

I could help but compare the article/spread of Michelle Kwan in Style magazine. If the writer had brought up 2005 Worlds or the 2002 Olympics who know what would have happened.:laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Alicelouise, ITA! Overall no, Russian press is NOT down on Irina (Example). If anything, she is still the darling of the press. However, since Russian free (or rather somewhat free) press is rather young, the boudaries between good and tabloid journalists are far more blurred than om the West.

Ptichka - I think if the Russian Federation invests a little in Martinova, they may have someone special. I saw her in Calgary and she looked promising.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Ptichka - I think if the Russian Federation invests a little in Martinova, they may have someone special. I saw her in Calgary and she looked promising.

Joe

ITA. I really liked Martinova. She is just 16, so she has time to get her jumps right. She has lovely positions and spins. I am really interested in watching her develop.

Vash

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

I really liked her programs too - and she landed at least one good triple lutz on the competition ice. I really liked her style and felt that she has more natural musicality than e.g. Sokolova.

Ant