Irina Article In Russian | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Irina Article In Russian

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That's just what I exspected

I think that is the thing I like about her. The fact that she "seems" a certain way is only someone's interpretation. She has always been a little "nose up" if you will, at the same time she is very supportive to her "family" and culture. She is a walking contradiction with her love of all things American girls do while not really acknowledging her like for them - maybe just jealousy that drives her to imitate them. And I do say attitude as well. She is not the only person around that is not to fond of America or it's skaters - Johnny?

It seems that there are a number of athletes in it for themselves, and I don't think Irina is any different. That is by far what is so appealing about her to me. Take a look a the hospital that she was was treated in and then listen to the ungrateful comments of American's. That is something to get you fired up.

I want to say that is is fine for some of the comments to be said - and keeping in mind that I like Irina's ATTITUDE :love: - I hear allot of the same comments made about her and other skaters (and by myself as well). We all don't always like each other - generally speaking of the world as a whole on a high percentage - and Skating has some different types of attitudes - snide and loving.

I remember the first video that I remixed of skaters and looked up Irina Slutskaya. On a Russian "conversation" site and there was someone saying that they came across her and she seemed cold and unwelcoming. The responder said, "what do you expect, she is a Slutskaya." Not sure if the name has some heritage or something pretentious about it...for what it is worth.

Anyhoo, that's the fire I like to see with her, different then Michelle's charm. I don't like Ozzy Osbore or Michael Jackson but I love there music.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
As an FYI, the "hamburger" interview was in a newspaper described as a tabloid, known for fabricating so-called interviews with famous people. It isn't clear that she was even contacted for it.

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

kyla2 said:
Thanks for the link. I have no clue as to what the hamburger thing was about. I was too angry about the anti-American comments to care. I didn't find it as bland as you did obviously. Is it my age (53) or what? But I won't pay one dime to see her skate ever again. I just can't believe she was so stupid as to give an interview like that.

Actually, to not pay a dime to see her skate means you have to skip out on COI. Otherwise, she'll get a cut of what you pay for your ticket, whether you like it or not.

antmanb

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Other Russian skaters have toured in COI, most notably Evgeni Plushenko, who always gets a big round of applause. He knows how to please an audience, and he delivers. I also have never read any comments from him putting down the US or the people of the US.

To say I am tired of Irina and her two-faced approach is putting it mildly. When being interviewed by ABC/ESPN she is all smiles, sweetness and light, at least as long as she is winning the gold medals. When she loses, it's another not-so-sweet Irina who cuts off communication with the US press.

I think you're maybe taking it a little too peronally...its not ABC/ESPN, networks from all around the world are lining up to interview the skater after they skate (remember there is a world outside north america!!:laugh: ) and Irina is usually the same - all smiles and happiness when she's won and very short and quicke to get out of there when she's not won. She's usually somewhere between the two extremes after the SP not wanting to jinx anything for the LP.

I haven't read the articles (the server at work doesn't allow me to get onto forums...except GS - thankfully!) but honestly i'm not sure how much the skaters can be criticsed for milking the money you can get from skating in the US - such is the way of capitalism, if you are a "land of opportunity" then anyone is welceomt o come in and exploit that. Politically and socially there are many criticisms of the US that many knowledgeabe people have made but one thing you can do is make money. I agreee that the backlash from the so called "biting the hand that feeds you" is probably more damaging to her but isn't she entitled to her opinions about it? I know i criticse my work place an awful lot, but i stay working there, and its not for the warm fuzzy feeling from doing my job - its for the money!!

Ant

R.D.

Record Breaker
krenseby said:
Actually, to not pay a dime to see her skate means you have to skip out on COI. Otherwise, she'll get a cut of what you pay for your ticket, whether you like it or not.

Well, she did seem to repeat much of her feelings in the other interview....

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

Red Dog said:
Well, she did seem to repeat much of her feelings in the other interview....

I have to say the response to Irina's interviews had me snickering. I mean, did people actually think she was doing COI because she loved performing for the audience? She said in the interviews a lot of that people that asked her for photographs didn't know her names. Most COI fans don't really know the international skaters, so she is just some girl out on the ice, that, if she were replaced by some other girl, no one would know the difference. Invite Julia Soldatova or Viktoria Volchkova in her place, most people wouldn't know the difference. I think ironically most people would agree with her that the COI audience could do without her. The reason they're mad with her is that she doesn't have the good grace to suck it up and keep her thoughts to herself. People found it shocking that Cohen said that she once wished Michelle would retire and let her have the chance to be the top American skater. Of course, the shock came not from the thought itself but from the fact that she had the gall to share it in interview.

krenseby said:
People found it shocking that Cohen said that she once wished Michelle would retire and let her have the chance to be the top American skater. Of course, the shock came not from the thought itself but from the fact that she had the gall to share it in interview.
But I think this was said after the fact, IIRC. Didn't she say something like, "when I was young and immature, sometimes I felt like I wished Michelle would retire; but now I just want to compete against the best" -- something like that?

But that's an interesting question about the knowledge and sophistication of the typical COI audience. I has seemed to me that most of the audience does know and appreciate the international skaters who have been around a long time. I think Irina might be pleasantly surprised at her popularity with U.S. audiences. Plushenko, too.

My experience with attending the COI shows is that the biggest part of the audience is families with young children (many more girls than boys). These kids do have their favorites (mostly Michelle and Sasha), but give enthusiastic support to all the performers.

(Some reports from the first couple of shows this season, however, say that most of the audience was old people.)

MM

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I must really be missing something here. What's wrong with Irina using America for money only? It's not like she's trying to become a US citizen, or even move here for that matter. She comes here as others come - to work. Nothing more, nothing less. Why on earth should she like it then?

But the other side of the coin is, the kind of work she does is entertaining audiences. What determines her success in her job -- and whether she will be invited back or not -- is whether the audience likes her or not.

If she doesn't like the audience, it seems like she would be wise to keep it to herself.

MM

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to agree with MM. A skater doesn't have to enjoy touring in a country that she doesn't think much of, but why go to great lengths to diss the country and its people year after year? This is not the first interview like this Irina has given. She isn't saying anything any different here that she hasn't said over and over again in the past.

Last season, it was 'the only good thing about the US is the shopping'. This interview is more of the same, only now it's getting more personal: it's the PEOPLE she doesn't like.

Little by little, Irina has buried herself in my estimation, with her prima donna comments and attitude. I hope she doesn't return to competitive skating, if only to spare US audiences more Irina fluff. All those sugary interviews, the recap of her illness, the schmaltz, contrast badly with the bitter tone of her Russian interviews. Enough, already!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
But the other side of the coin is, the kind of work she does is entertaining audiences. What determines her success in her job -- and whether she will be invited back or not -- is whether the audience likes her or not.

If she doesn't like the audience, it seems like she would be wise to keep it to herself.

MM

exactly. Well said, ITA.

krenseby

Final Flight
chuckm said:
Little by little, Irina has buried herself in my estimation, with her prima donna comments and attitude. I hope she doesn't return to competitive skating, if only to spare US audiences more Irina fluff. All those sugary interviews, the recap of her illness, the schmaltz, contrast badly with the bitter tone of her Russian interviews. Enough, already!

Well, the fact that she was ill and her mother too, doesn't in any way that she is a sweet and nice person. Suffering doesn't imply a pleasant personality.

Mathman said:
My guess is she thought that Americans wouldn't read Russian interviews. She is mostly right, given the fact that only people on this forum got a wind of her complaints.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
krenseby said:
My guess is she thought that Americans wouldn't read Russian interviews. She is mostly right, given the fact that only people on this forum got a wind of her complaints.
I'd have to agree with that.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
krenseby said:

Well, links to this interview have been posted on other forums -- but not in the newspapers. Do you think reporters (Hersch, Brennan, et. al.) ever read skating forums to find out these things? Do you think skaters even think of skating forums (especially those which are not skater-specific) as a method by which news gets around?

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
krenseby said:
I have to say the response to Irina's interviews had me snickering. I mean, did people actually think she was doing COI because she loved performing for the audience? She said in the interviews a lot of that people that asked her for photographs didn't know her names. Most COI fans don't really know the international skaters, so she is just some girl out on the ice, that, if she were replaced by some other girl, no one would know the difference. Invite Julia Soldatova or Viktoria Volchkova in her place, most people wouldn't know the difference. I think ironically most people would agree with her that the COI audience could do without her. The reason they're mad with her is that she doesn't have the good grace to suck it up and keep her thoughts to herself. People found it shocking that Cohen said that she once wished Michelle would retire and let her have the chance to be the top American skater. Of course, the shock came not from the thought itself but from the fact that she had the gall to share it in interview.

Krensby, Thank you!
I was actually kinda ticked with the reporter in the first part of the interview. I mean, he just wouldn't let it go that she made mistakes in her long. Who doesn't? Plushenko does it, Cohen does, Kwan does, everyone! For pete's sake she's not a freakin' robot! i can understand why she was so unnerved.

As to her responses about American audiences. . . .yeah, they are like that! I've seen some pretty inconsiderate people, and have worked with them too. It's really not cool, and I can see why she doesn't appreciate it. And to be honest, I found the interview rather funny myself.

Crizzy

Rinkside
yeah, they are like that! I've seen some pretty inconsiderate people, and have worked with them too.

Excuse me but that goes for ANY country. You'll meet ALL kinds of people from ALL walks of life. Generalizing all Americans as inconsiderate and fake proves to me how close minded she is. I also find the "Chinese" comment as unnecessary in singling out a culture when America is such a big melting pot.

How hypocrite of her to say that America is superficial when her favorite thing to do is go bargain shopping in outlets and Las Vegas! Vegas! Hah! The most superficial, artificial place on earth. There's more plastic in that place than the Tupperware factory.

I guess that's what Russians think "high art" is, Vegas- a menagerie of boob implants and steroids on stage.:chorus:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Crizzy said:
I guess that's what Russians think "high art" is, Vegas- a menagerie of boob implants and steroids on stage.:chorus:
Did she ever say she considered Vegas "culture"? Ever? No, she said she enjoys it. One can enjoy things that have little to do with culture.

I just don't get how anyone can call her a hyppocrite. I mean, come on! It's not like she makes money here by collecting welfare! She makes money here by working. By working hard. By working very very very hard. Furthermore, I was under a rather silly impression that American audiences paid money for COI tickets not out of charity, or even because they like a skater's character, but because they want to see beautiful skating (weather or not one considers Irina's skating beautiful is beside the point here).

Let me make a parallel. Personally, I hate my boss. I think he is a pretencious incompetent fool. I often discuss that point with family or even like-minded co-workers. Does it make me a hypocrite that I come to work every day, am civil to him, discuss issues in meetings with him, etc.? By the logic of everyone who calls Irina a hypocrite that's exactly what I am, yet I doubt that's how most people would see it.

I also find the "Chinese" comment as unnecessary in singling out a culture when America is such a big melting pot.
I think that was just a comment on the many Asian faces in the audience. Let's face it, there aren't normally too many African American or Hispanic faces at the skating shows (why is a topic of a whole different thread), which leaves Caucasian and Asian.

Last edited:
From my experience at COI one time, Irina is most welcome by the fans of competitive skating. Casual fans are not enthusiastic about her. She doesn't have that Ballanchine body which Americans are accostomed to, and COI is show skating.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Ptichka said:
Let me make a parallel. Personally, I hate my boss. I think he is a pretencious incompetent fool. I often discuss that point with family or even like-minded co-workers. Does it make me a hypocrite that I come to work every day, am civil to him, discuss issues in meetings with him, etc.? By the logic of everyone who calls Irina a hypocrite that's exactly what I am, yet I doubt that's how most people would see it.

That's an interesting point ... but let's look at that closer. You don't like your boss and you discuss it with family members (who I assume are not going to go back and tell him), and like-minded co-workers, who I also assume won't go running back to the boss to tattle-tale.
So basically you are doing this behind your boss's back. I'm guessing you don't want him to know, unless, of course, you wouldn't mind getting fired.
I have no idea what your business is, but let's assume for this discussion, that you work for a major department store. Let's imagine you were interviewed by a local newspaper for something totally unrelated to your job ... and you happened to mention where you worked and commented on how ignorant and low-classed many of your customers were, compared to where you used to work. Do you think those people would feel kindly to shopping at your store from that point on? They probably wouldn't, but they might have no choice if yours was the only place in town for them to go.
So you would still have your job making money off the people you feel are beneath you, and your boss probably wouldn't fire you unless the people actually stopped shopping at his store. It's the same way with COI. I'm sure Tom Collins wouldn't do anything about this because most people are still going to go to see it, because there are many other skaters they don't want to miss. But that doesn't mean they feel very good about what Irina thinks of them.
It may not seem like a big deal to some of you, and even to me it's not going to make or break my enjoyment of the show, but I sure have lost respect for Irina. It goes back to that old saying ... "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

Last edited:
krenseby said:
I have to say the response to Irina's interviews had me snickering. I mean, did people actually think she was doing COI because she loved performing for the audience?
But you have to pretend! This is show business!

Look at Michelle. I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear what the COI skaters say to each other back stage, about the audience, about Tom Collins, about the hotel and team bus, about each other, after 60 shows in 60 days.

Yet every time Michelle takes the ice she's like, "What could possibly compare with the joy I'm feeling right now to be out here skating for YOU -- yes, YOU, the guy eating a hamburger in the fourth seat of the third row!"

Anton Sikharudlize is another one who knows how to play. Every interview he does, it's all about how wonderful the North American audiences are, how supportive, how knowledgable about figure skating, oh joy, oh rapture. (In the mean time, he's starting up a restaurant chain back home in Russia.)

Evan Lysacek (my boy!) squeezed in a little Russian tour after between the Olympics and Worlds. He loved everything about it, especially the wonderful Russian audiences -- they were so nice to him! -- and the opportunity to soak up that wonderful Russian culture.

MM :)

Last edited: