Off-Season Debate, Question 2: What Will Become Of The Veterans? | Golden Skate

Off-Season Debate, Question 2: What Will Become Of The Veterans?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Time for Question #2. ;)

So in Question 1 we discussed (for the most part ;) ) if Kimmie could establish/get a momentum going after her World Championship win. But at this point, we didn't know where the Veterans stood, whether they would retire or continue competing.

By "Veterans" I'm referring to the following skaters: Slutskaya, Arakawa, Kwan, Cohen, Suguri. (This is by all means not a comprehensive list and I may have left out somebody).

Now, we've got reports that Kwan wants to "keep her options open", that Cohen "loves competing", and Slutskaya isn't "giving up" yet. So, let's assume that they will continue to compete now for the next few years along with the Young Ones.

THIS IS NOT A PREDICTION THREAD, BTW...the 2010 Olympic thread seems to be just that. :)

So, now to the questions:

If The Veterans stay in the game, how will they fit in with the Young Ones?

Can Kwan win her 10th national title?

Can Cohen find that "automatic robot" and put two and two together?

How will the "old" Japanese skaters fare against the "younger" Japanese skaters?

Will some unknown skater or promising European skater suddenly pop up (like Kostner between 02 and 06)? And besides, what will become of her?

And what about the Russians?

Many of these are more hypothetical (sp) than anything, but it's nice to discuss and speculate. Not that this is not the same as predicting RESULTS of competitions.

MY THOUGHTS

The new scoring system gives everyone an equal opportunity to showcase their skills (in other words, they get rewarded for what they can do well). However, I still think the young jumpers have an edge over the seasoned veterans, as the results of Worlds and GPF show. That said, the young ones will have the puberty battle coming up, so maybe the vets will regain the edge provided they stay healthy. However, if any of those young skaters develops any style, watch out...we will have a new champion.

Personally, it's time to change the guard. It's boring to have Kwan, Slutskaya, Suguri, and Cohen hanging out at all the same competitions. JMO, though. I hope we got a taste of that at GPF and Worlds.

I think Kwan CAN win a 10th title...she may just have to show up. However, I think Kimmie can put up a strong fight with a performance similar to the one in Calgary.

I don't think Arakawa is going to compete any more, but will Mao Asada replace Nakano or Suguri as the top Japanese skater? Sounds like another one- Miki Ando- has unfortunately gone kaput.

And as for unknown skaters, there is already many in Europe rising in the ranks, it seems.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think there are too many "young skaters" to do massive comparisons between them and the Veterans as a group. After all, while one or two of the big name up and comers might still be doing well next year, it is highly unlikely that Kimmie, Emily, Yu Na Kim, Mao, Elena, and Joannie will all have their "up years" and their "down years" at the same time. Any one having a down year leaves an opening through which another skater -- up and comer or veteran -- cango through to win.

As far as MK goes -- I think that Michelle can win a tenth US title -- something magical happens to her at Nats, and it is not uncommon for her to have something that is not only her best skate of the season there, but also a skate that is simply excellent (think '98; '02 as examples) Also, she will be going in with "something to prove". How she will do at Worlds is another question -- but I wouldn't underestimate her, either.

I also don't believe that Sasha will ever find that automatic robot, but that is because I think her problems are physical, connected to her extreme flexibility.

Russia is different because I don't even know of any promising up-and-comers from that country. Irina is a different matter -- simply because her health (and that of her mother) are unknowns -- and the stress can't be good for her.

rob43

On the Ice
All Kwan speculation has to start with her healing and having done so in time to go through the qualifying process. (no bye for her for the first time since, what 93?) So she needs about 4 triples by september and 5 at a inimum come January (6 in march). I hope she gets that 10th title but am thinking she may wait til 0'8 to do so.

I think Sasha needs to start standing up or the US judges will feel no obligation to give her the benefit of the doubt. Kimmie and Katie are ready to rock and she (and Kwan for that matter) are no longer imperitive for US successes.

I don't worry about same old/same old in terms of Kwan, Slute, Sasha because over the past few years we've seen Arakawa, Costner and now Kimmie take it to them when they weren't on top of their games. My gripe would be with underperforming fresh talent rather than veterans.

With the body ailments and the aging process coming into play, I think next year's Worlds will not have more than one veteran female skater on the podium. Eventually, I do not see any of today's veterans on the podium after next year.
I believe Cohen and Kwan will be milking their stay as eligibles, and drop out by 2008.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not willing to count Cohen or Kwan out... I think Kwan, should she come back, can at least hit that 10th US title... and Sasha just might get lucky or finally figure out the magic formula to get it all together...

I'm just going to sit and watch and be happy ;)

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't see Arakawa staying in beyond next year's worlds.

Michelle is going to fade away. She just can't keep up with the other girls and her body is giving out on her. She'll hang around and do Cheesefests but she's not going to be a factor at Nationals.

I don't know about Sasha. On one hand, I can see her winning Worlds in LA (a la Irina's win in Moscow), however I don't see her on a third Olympic team. Maybe she'll win worlds and retire on top.

Since Slutskayafan picked her future Olympic picks, I think the 2010 team will be Kimmie, Katy and Christina Zukowski. I see Kimmie going into the 2010 Olympics as a multiple world champion though she won't win the big one.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian fed gave Irina and Elena extra incentive to stay in to Vancouver. There isn't anyone else and these ladies will have good results in the GP. I definitely see Irina staying on the World podium if she chooses to compete next season. I see Sasha falling off the podium next season and then rallying to get back on there.

The Japanese will win the next Olympics, though it won't be Mao. I think Fumie or Miki will pull a Shizuka (hanging in there for years for that golden moment) and win the whole thing.

There's my fortune telling for off season.

soogar said:
I

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian fed gave Irina and Elena extra incentive to stay in to Vancouver. There isn't anyone else and these ladies will have good results in the GP.
There's an Arina Martinova who showed promise in Calgary, but she needs some good coaching to bring her up to the top 10.

My only prediction for the 2010 Olys is there will be no Kwan, Cohen, Slutskaya, Suguri on the podium. It'll be a new ball game by 2009. No podium names yet.

Joe

alicelouise

Rinkside
New faces

I asked this as an aside in another thread. Might the Russians recruit Elena G. to skate for them?:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm resurrecting this thread to respond to a "post" (or should I say accusation) in another thread. I think it's relevant to this discussion and maybe could liven up this thread again.

Does Sasha get hype? The buildup to Olys and worlds? the hollywood parties? the photos? the magazine spreads? the film offer? the apearance on a TV sitcom?

Sorry but stupid question. Even a Cohen fan will tell you OF COURSE SHE DOES.

Am I off base to see you reluctant to say that Sasha does not get hype? I doubt you could get yourself to say anything like that.. Just pick on her competition. Soon your tirades will begin with your other favorite: Pressure!

You go on believing that I'm out to grab everyone but Cohen. If you really think that, maybe you haven't really been reading my posts.

Anyway, enough of that.

All of the "veterans" will get attention. I don't call it "hype" because they've already proven themselves (for the most part). For MK and SC it's more like a re-cap of their careers, because it's very likely they won't be around in skating much longer. More so in the case of MK but looks like SC is veering off to the left as well.

Bottom line: The veterans will have the pressure, the newcomers will get the hype. :p

Let them all retire, and let's bring some brand new talent in.