Sasha Not Done Yet: New journal entry | Golden Skate

Sasha Not Done Yet: New journal entry

R.D.

Record Breaker
She's actually starting to sound like she's really serious about going to 2010. We'll see, we'll see. Still not buying it, really. She's known to be inconsistent and somewhat contradictory at times in her statements. However, assuming she'll stay healthy, it just might happen. Isn't Nicks getting up there in age, though?

ETA: Didn't she say in another interview that she wouldn't rush any decisions or something...decide her future during the summer? Talk about flip-flopping!

Last edited:

password

On the Ice
Ya know, I think she does it on purpose. Hate her or love her, she's very...interesting.

Lanie

On the Ice
Sasha says in her journal she's gonna stay til 2010.

I don't know whether to be irritated or happy. She better skate like it. Sasha, get a new coach and actually, you know, work like a workaholic 24/7.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I have absolutely nothing against Sasha Cohen, but I kind of have a feeling that Peggy Fleming may have been right when she said that competition may not be Sasha's forte.
She may be better off (and a star) at an ice show, I could definitely see her in 'Swan Lake' or something like that, or doing those spunky Ukrainian/Russian dances she seems to enjoy.
That's when she looks like she has fun on the ice.....

IMHO, Sasha tries to emulate Michelle.

Michelle has never given a straight answer to any questions about her future plans. Just the ususal (not ruling it out; one day at a time, etc.).

If Sasha skates, you will not know much from her journal anymore. (More about cookies than skating.) She will keep any new programs from public knowledge and not let on about any new elements she is working on. Not unlike Michelle Kwan.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Someone on another board put it into perspective quite well, I thought. Basically she said Sasha was not going to become ineligible ... that by keeping her name in the mix, so to say, would be the smart thing to do. Not necessarily that she will compete much ... just that for endorsements and other things, this made perfect sense.
I had posted that, just as I have been thinking about Michelle staying in till 2010, I will be very surprised if Sasha will be able to sustain another 4 years of the kind of training it would take to stay competitive. I don't think either of their bodies could take it.
My guess is the most they could sustain is maybe one more season, if that.

flying camel

Medalist
I think she just wants a World or Olympic title. She may have a shot at a World title but the Olympics, I don't think so. Maybe she wants to stay in to get her Olympic Bronze.

76olympics

On the Ice
I don't know; she sounds emphatic in that journal entry (as to her intentions). Like some of you though, I think that determination may fade sometime before 2010. I just don't think even these young bodies can take the pounding that training for eligible competition these days brings. I think Sasha could bring a lot to the pro circuit (if there was one, that is).

After my disappointing experience this year in trying to find a COI to attend within reasonable distance (and two cancellations after we got tickets), I am not sanguine about the future of the shows either outside the large population centers. All of this makes me sad. I loved the pro circuit; some of my favorite performances happened there.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that Sasha really likes the lifestyle of being a skater. She might not do as well as she wants to for competitions, but from what I've heard and read about her, she really likes preparing for competitions, watching her diet and working towards a goal. Now maybe if she decides to work on her edges (which is something she doesn't like to do per Robin), she might actually be on track to improve on her silver medal finish and still stay in the mix at Nationals.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I agree this could be a public relations thing, a way to keep her name in the mix while appeasing fans and sponsors alike. She isn't committing to GPS, which would be the 1st step, she's saying she'll remain eligible.

Maybe she'll follow the route Michelle did the last 4 years-skate in cheesefests, Nats. and Worlds while keeping up with her endorsement reposibilities. Or maybe she'll follow the path of Sarah Hughes-let things outside skating draw her away while not formerly retiring, and still say,"Well, the 2010 Olympics are still a possibility!"

I'm sure being on tour right now and being well recieved by the audience, probably also getting a whole bunch of,"Don't retire! We love you!" from her fansl is probably therapy in itself. But when she has to buckle down and get back to training, we'll see what she really does.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I think it's about time that Sasha learned to give the same enigmatic answers as Michelle. I imagine it must be much less stressful to say how much she loves skating than to say she's embarking on a field such as acting where she has minimal previous experience, and is open to much more serious criticism.

mzheng

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
Someone on another board put it into perspective quite well, I thought. Basically she said Sasha was not going to become ineligible ... that by keeping her name in the mix, so to say, would be the smart thing to do. Not necessarily that she will compete much ... just that for endorsements and other things, this made perfect sense.
I had posted that, just as I have been thinking about Michelle staying in till 2010, I will be very surprised if Sasha will be able to sustain another 4 years of the kind of training it would take to stay competitive. I don't think either of their bodies could take it.
My guess is the most they could sustain is maybe one more season, if that.
ITA. They talk like that just to keep their option open. Not becom ineligible......What was that SOI deal talking with Sasha? The only way she would become ineligible is to join the SOI?.....guess SOI diddn't pay her enough to sign the contract. If she could skate in COI to make the same money why giveup the eligible status?......IMO, she has it easy when she says something in this line. If she sit out GPs and chosen perticula ones, fans will understand, she won't get so much of criticises like MK got post 2003 season.......All the good for her if her body can sustain and her mind has the determination like MK's post 2003.

Lonewolf

On the Ice
MKFSfan said:
I agree this could be a public relations thing, a way to keep her name in the mix while appeasing fans and sponsors alike. She isn't committing to GPS, which would be the 1st step, she's saying she'll remain eligible.

Maybe she'll follow the route Michelle did the last 4 years-skate in cheesefests, Nats. and Worlds while keeping up with her endorsement reposibilities. ...

... I'm sure being on tour right now and being well recieved by the audience, probably also getting a whole bunch of,"Don't retire! We love you!" from her fansl is probably therapy in itself. But when she has to buckle down and get back to training, we'll see what she really does.

This is accurately reflects my thoughts as well. She will most likely compete only in Nationals and worlds but not the GPS.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
mzheng58 said:
ITA. They talk like that just to keep their option open. Not becom ineligible......What was that SOI deal talking with Sasha? The only way she would become ineligible is to join the SOI?.....guess SOI diddn't pay her enough to sign the contract. If she could skate in COI to make the same money why giveup the eligible status?......IMO, she has it easy when she says something in this line. If she sit out GPs and chosen perticula ones, fans will understand, she won't get so much of criticises like MK got post 2003 season.......All the good for her if her body can sustain and her mind has the determination like MK's post 2003.

First, an American skater can work with SOI and still remain Oly eligible; it merely takes a little extra paperwork. Sarah Hughes has done so. Also, Sasha has sustained some severe back injuries in the past; that she might want to stick around until 2010 doesn't mean she will be able to do so -- and a plan "B" strikes me as extremely sensible. Also, maybe her inconsistency at Worlds will be a help -- IIRC, the last two Oly bronze medalists not only had earned silver at the previous Olys, but were also the reigning world champs going in!

rjulie510

Rinkside
Sasha announces she's skating until 2010 Vancouver Olympics

http://www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

I have to say I'm very surprised by this. I was very sure she was going to retire and join SOI. Best of wishes to her.

This should make the upcoming season even more interesting as Sasha will face Kimmie with reigning world champ title, Mao, and Yu-Na. I will be very interested to see how Yu-Na scores in PCS especially because more so than Kimmie or Mao, Yu-Na can score big PCS.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I think it is very smart of Sasha endorsement-wise to keep saying things like that in public. However, I don't believe for a minute she will seep competing for the next four years.