2009 Worlds to be held in Los Angeles | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2009 Worlds to be held in Los Angeles

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm quite sad about this. I went to Nationals there in 2002 and it was not a great experience except for of course the skating. The area surrounding the rink is not a particularly good area, particularly for finding something to eat at the times that skatefans are looking for something to eat. And everything was hugely expensive.

I would have preferred Cleveland or Boston.

Lanie

On the Ice
Well, considering 2009 Worlds was going to go to the USA anyway since 2003 Worlds was in the USA, it makes sense they'd pick a city on the West Coast now to host it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Lanie said:
Well, considering 2009 Worlds was going to go to the USA anyway since 2003 Worlds was in the USA

So there's some kind of "alternation" system going on here then?

Lanie

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
So there's some kind of "alternation" system going on here then?

That's usually how it goes. 2001 Worlds in Canada - 2006 Worlds in Canada. Etc. It sort of alternates between countries/areas.

Red Dog said:
uh oh...being reported on FSU that LA officials might be jumping the gun a little bit...?? Apparently the OFFICIAL ISU decision won't be made until June. Am I right?
Yes, if you read the official statements, the only thing that has been decided for sure is that Los Angeles won the contest (the other two entries were Spokane and Cleveland) to be chosen by USFS as the U.S. city to be put forward to the ISU.

Unless there is already some sort of unofficial agreement that Worlds will definitely be awarded to the U.S. in 2009, I think there is still another step in the selection process.

MM

Last edited:
Joesitz said:
Guessing the alternations
There don't seem to be any hard and fast rules, but your list (with a second Europe replacing China) is about right. Since 1990 it has been

Canada
Germany
USA
Czechoslovakia
Japan
Great Britain
Canada
Switzerland
U.S.A.
Finland
France
Canada
Japan
USA
Germany
Russia
Canada
Japan (2007)
Sweden (2008)

Factoid: The first World championship held outside of Europe was in 1930 (New York).

MM :)

Lanie

On the Ice
Mathman, what seems to be the pattern is (at least for the USA) - the USFSA picks a city, sends it to the ISU, and in the case of when it's the USA's turn to host a Worlds, it's pretty much gonna be there. I think it's the same for Canada and Japan. Europe... I have no clue how they go about it.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Damn! And I was really rooting for Nashville! I guess the thought of World's being only six hours away was too much to hope for. :cry: