Michelle Kwan Lyra Angelica question | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan Lyra Angelica question

doug_log

On the Ice
I've rewatched some videos of MK's Lyra program. At Nationals and the Olympics, she does 7 triples in eight jumping passes.

Aren't skaters only allowed 7 jumping passes? Or did become a rule after the 1998 season? Thanks!

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
doug_log said:
I've rewatched some videos of MK's Lyra program. At Nationals and the Olympics, she does 7 triples in eight jumping passes.

Aren't skaters only allowed 7 jumping passes? Or did become a rule after the 1998 season? Thanks!

I think the 7 jumping passes, including a double axle, went into effect with COP. I'm pretty sure the old 6.0 system allowed for 8 jump passes, which is why Michelle would be able to do 7 triples and one 2axle without a 3./3 (she tended to do 3loop, 3toe/2toe, 3flip, 3lutz/2toe, 3salchow, 3toe, 3lutz and 2axle earlier in her career. She did the same layout while dropping the 2nd 3toe for the 2003/04 seasons. Then she omitted the 3loop in favor of a 2nd 3flip in 2005 when COP went into effect-repeated the flip and lutz, doing 1 salchow and 1 toe fpr 6 triples, while not doing a loop).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
In the old system there was no limitation regarding double and single jumps. The only limitation was with triple (and quad) jumps (Zayak rule = you can repeat just two triple jumps).
Now, you cannot do more then 7 jumping passes (ladies) or 8 passes (men), regardless if they are single, double, triple or quad.

gio said:
In the old system there was no limitation regarding double and single jumps. The only limitation was with triple (and quad) jumps (Zayak rule = you can repeat just two triple jumps).
Now, you cannot do more then 7 jumping passes (ladies) or 8 passes (men), regardless if they are single, double, triple or quad.
It's called free skating. the more rules there are about prohibiting, the more free one is.:scratch:

Joe

sk8m8

Final Flight
...the only thing that remained consistant was the fact that out of the triples you did (if the number was 7, say) two of the trips must be done in combination to avoid the zayak rule.

Changes in jumping passes for combos is three under CoP system, which is why to add difficulty the skaters are tacking on extra 2 jumps on the end of other combinations. Some skaters are opting to do a 2X/2(toe or loop) at the end of the program so that with the bonus it adds up to almost the equivalent of a Flip jump scoring value.