Record number of Oly Silver medalists, Golden 4 years later, could be smashed in 2010 | Golden Skate

Record number of Oly Silver medalists, Golden 4 years later, could be smashed in 2010

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Record number of Oly Silver medalists, Golden 4 years later, could be smashed in 2010

I dont believe there has ever been more than 1 Olympic Silver medalist, return 4 years later to win Gold. That could be smashed in 2010. There is a very good chance of Zhang/Zhang, Lambiel(if his knees get better), and Belbin/Agosto all winning gold in 2010; and even a chance for Cohen if she chooses to continue, since she will only be 25, not too "old" like Kwan and Slutskaya would be by then, and as Arakawa showed this year, and the Asadas and Meissners of this World may have gone through puberty and not be as efficient afterwords. So a very good chance of atleast 2, which would be a first time as far as I know, a reasonable chance of 3, and even a chance of 4 doing it.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It is certainly possible that Oly silvers could win gold. However, at least two of the Oly silvers from 2006 (Lambiel; Cohen) have health issues that could prevent them from skating in Vancouver. Moreover, there is the potential "world champions curse" that could affect either or both of them (both Kwan and Slutskaya were reigning Oly silver medalists and reigning World champs when they got their bronzes)

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I could easily see Zhang/Zhang or Belbin/Agosto winning gold in 2010. Both teams are fairly young compared to the rest of their competitive fields. And both teams are still clearly improving and growing in their skill levels.

It's hard for me to picture Cohen or Lambiel winning in 2010, though. Both Sasha and Stephane have already had many injuries, and both are already older than some of their competitors. Plus, I get the feeling that Sasha and Stephane are pretty mature in their skill levels; I don't know how much further significant improvement can really be expected (whereas I can see room for the Zhangs to improve a LOT in the PCS). Just my two cents, though!

kwanette

Final Flight
slutskayafan21 said:
I dont believe there has ever been more than 1 Olympic Silver medalist, return 4 years later to win Gold. That could be smashed in 2010. There is a very good chance of Zhang/Zhang, Lambiel(if his knees get better), and Belbin/Agosto all winning gold in 2010; and even a chance for Cohen if she chooses to continue, since she will only be 25, not too "old" like Kwan and Slutskaya would be by then, and as Arakawa showed this year, and the Asadas and Meissners of this World may have gone through puberty and not be as efficient afterwords. So a very good chance of atleast 2, which would be a first time as far as I know, a reasonable chance of 3, and even a chance of 4 doing it.

From memory
1. Tenley Albright
2. Carol Heiss
3. B and B
4. Klimova and Pomerenko(sp)
5. B and S

All were silver medalists who went on to win gold in the next Oly..

kwanette said:
From memory
1. Tenley Albright
2. Carol Heiss
3. B and B
5. B and S

Thanks kwanette and your memory serves you well. btw. Welcome to Golden Skate.

I am not predicting (much much too early) but there are possibilities: Zhang and Zhang (although I would prefer Pang and Tong). I'm not at ease considering Sasha or TanBen yet. But I could see Stephane if the knees hold up.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The only male competitor of Lambiel that is two years than him currently is Oda. Takahashi is 1 year younger. Lysacek is the same age, Weir is one year older, Joubert is also one year older, and Buttle is several years older. He is certainly not "old" compared to his competitors, and most of this group will be the main contenders going into 2010. I dont agree he has maxed out his skill level. He currently wastes his spinning ability doing low level spins that dont score as high in value or in GOE. When he does do a level 4 spin, he usually scores all +2s on GOE. He could probably score 8 points higher per competition on spins than he is now. His triple axel could become alot more consistent if he is healthy enough to work on it as well. He still has alot of artistic growth as well. The only one of his competitors that has significantly more improvement than him is Oda IMO. Lysacek and Weir only have the quad to improve upon, pretty much everything else probably stays the same at best . Buttle is already maxed out. So is Joubert. Takahashi will never fulfill his full potential as a skater. On top of that as his reputation builds his scores will probably build too. The judges will realize they are scoring the two-time World Champion and Oly silver medalist, and as his stature builds so will his scores.

Meissner, Kim, and Asada have not gone through puberty yet. Lets see how they jump after puberty. Cohen will be 25 in 2010, Arakawa was 24 in 2006, and Slutskaya was gold medal favorite at 27 in 2006. The judges love Cohen, and even give her inflated scores to hold her up with numerous mistakes. They are just waiting for her to put it all together. I doubt they would have problems keeping her as a contender over the next 4 years, and unless she is far outjumped, giving her a gold medal at a major event if she stays on her feet, something she might eventualy learn to do.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
kwanette said:
From memory
1. Tenley Albright
2. Carol Heiss
3. B and B
5. B and S

Thank you very much. :rock: