Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Denise Biellman

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • other

Votes: 19 7.9%

• Total voters

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
If this is a poll to name the skater who accomplished specific milestones in jumping, then certainly Ito and Harding belong at or near the top. However, Harding did a successful triple axle only once - and Ito never did 7 SUCCESSFUL triples in one program, nor did she ever do two 3-3s in one program.

If you do just an actual COUNT, I believe you will find that Kimmie Meissner has successfully landed more triple jumps AND more triple-triple combinations over the past 2 seasons than any previous skater EVER did over a two-season period.

Even Peggy Fleming has said that Kimmie's triple axle is the most awesome and beautiful she has ever seen. And you KNOW that she saw both Harding and Ito's triple axle.

When all is said and done, the greatest jumper will be the MOST CONSISTENT jumper. If Kimmie does just TWO MORE successful triple axles and keeps doing triple-triples on a regular basis, she will eventually be considered the greatest jumper ever.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Oh, and another thing - Tara Lipinski should not be dismissed for doing "small" jumps - she was a small girl and her jumps were just as difficult for her as the bigger jumps were for others.

A triple is a triple. A triple-triple is a triple-triple. Nit-picking as to size and height of jumps is not allowed in polls - because I SAY it's not.:laugh: :biggrin: :laugh:

gio

Medalist
jsteam4501s said:
However, Harding did a successful triple axle only once

No, I remember that she did it at least four times, all in 1991. At Worlds, at Skate America (both in the SP and LP) and at Nationals.

Does Kimmie still have the triple Axel in her repertoire? I think it has been more than a year since she has landed one.

If it's consistencey over a long career that counts most, I think Michelle has done 11 triple-triples and also 11 seven triple programs in major competitions. I don't know how this stacks up against others on the all-time list (?)

evenstar

Final Flight
I guess my question was: What constitutes a great jumper? If "great" jumpers are only the ones who are first to do a jump, then I think Harding and Bonaly should be taken off the list.

Was Sonia Henie the first to do a two-jump sequence? (Two Axels in a row.)

Does Surya get credit for doing the first backflip (one foot landing)/triple Salchow combo?

Who will be the next to do a quad, following Miki Ando?

evenstar

Final Flight
Mathman: I'm not sure about Henie, but I do know Surya did not get credit for her backflip-triple salchow, because she never did it in competition. Rather unfair since she's probably the only person in the world who can do it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
jsteam4501s said:
Even Peggy Fleming has said that Kimmie's triple axle is the most awesome and beautiful she has ever seen. And you KNOW that she saw both Harding and Ito's triple axle.

Peggy likes to hype up the ladies that she thinks are the next big thing. It's human nature for a commentator to do so, so people take her (or Button, Hamilton, Browning, etc) as gospel...

it was an amazing one to watch, when she hit it... not trying to take anything away from Kim(mie) just saying that just because Peggy's "been there, and seen it all" doesn't mean she's not just doing her job to hype the skaters that are skating NOW.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Does Kimmie still have the triple Axel in her repertoire? I think it has been more than a year since she has landed one.

If it's consistencey over a long career that counts most, I think Michelle has done 11 triple-triples and also 11 seven triple programs in major competitions. I don't know how this stacks up against others on the all-time list (?)

Are you not counting the one at the Oly 06, there was a cleaner in practice yet the on in program counted. Seani confused?

Kasey

Medalist
If it's just a matter of triple axels, heck, Nakano should be on here as well.

Kimmie did ONE arguably cheated triple axel and suddenly became the second coming of Axel Paulson himself....SIGH.

Overall quality and consistancy of jumps, Ito....and Harding did have awesome jumps as well when she was "on", without the hideous telegraphing of Bonaly.

floskate

On the Ice
jsteam4501s said:
If this is a poll to name the skater who accomplished specific milestones in jumping, then certainly Ito and Harding belong at or near the top. However, Harding did a successful triple axle only once - and Ito never did 7 SUCCESSFUL triples in one program, nor did she ever do two 3-3s in one program.

If you do just an actual COUNT, I believe you will find that Kimmie Meissner has successfully landed more triple jumps AND more triple-triple combinations over the past 2 seasons than any previous skater EVER did over a two-season period.

When all is said and done, the greatest jumper will be the MOST CONSISTENT jumper. If Kimmie does just TWO MORE successful triple axles and keeps doing triple-triples on a regular basis, she will eventually be considered the greatest jumper ever.

Are you KIDDING?????? Ito never did a 7 triple LP? She was the FIRST to do a 7 triple LP. First in my memory is 1984 Skate Canada. Also 1987 NHK, 1988 Olys, 1988 Nationals, 1989 Worlds, 1989 NHK.....etc etc etc. She's landed more triple axels in competition than any other woman. She was teh first to do it, the first to do a triple triple combo aged 12. She had all the triples through lutz aged 12, she first landed the triple axel aged 14 - there's footage of her landing them in 1984.

And with regards to 2 3-3's in a LP she didn't have to. But she was capable of at least 4 different triple triples - 3l3l, 3lz3t, 3t3t, 3x3t.

And if you believe everything Peggy Fleming says then you really must be gullible. Sorry but that post was soooo :rofl: uninformed it's ridiculous.

Vash01

Medalist
floskate said:
Are you KIDDING?????? Ito never did a 7 triple LP? She was the FIRST to do a 7 triple LP. First in my memory is 1984 Skate Canada. Also 1987 NHK, 1988 Olys, 1988 Nationals, 1989 Worlds, 1989 NHK.....etc etc etc. She's landed more triple axels in competition than any other woman. She was teh first to do it, the first to do a triple triple combo aged 12. She had all the triples through lutz aged 12, she first landed the triple axel aged 14 - there's footage of her landing them in 1984.

And with regards to 2 3-3's in a LP she didn't have to. But she was capable of at least 4 different triple triples - 3l3l, 3lz3t, 3t3t, 3x3t.

And if you believe everything Peggy Fleming says then you really must be gullible. Sorry but that post was soooo :rofl: uninformed it's ridiculous.

In addition to all these jumps, Ito also landed a clean 3axel-double toe combination. She was capable of doing jumps that would have beaten the men of her era.

Sometimes Peggy goes overboard praising a skater she likes at a certain moment; she forgets all about skaters in the past.

Vash

seanibu said:
Are you not counting the one at the Oly 06, there was a cleaner in practice yet the one in program counted. Seani confused?
I don't remember a triple Axel attempt by Kimmie or anyone else at the 2006 Olympics (?) According to the judges protocols, in the short Kimmie did 3Lz+3T, 3F and 2A, and in the long she did 2F+2T, 2A, 3Lz+2T, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3S, 2A+2T.

IIRC, in the practices the ladies were doing so badly on their jumps that Arakawa's team felt it was safe to take out her planned triple-triples.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wasn't the only 3 axel that made news Rena and John? I don't remember a lady doing a 3a at all?

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
floskate said:

Well, now tell me - Can I really be considered "gullible" if I believe the admiration stated by Peggy Fleming, who is after all a WOMAN with years and years of experience in skating and observing skating, over a couple of posters here who are admittedly not admirers of Kimmie Meissner anyway?

In addition - I am not really so "uninformed" as you think - I am 64 and have seen just about EVERY great or lousy female skater since 1956 - and when an authority such as Peggy Fleming has high praise for a particular skater's triple axle I am going to give her the benefit of any doubt BEFORE I take YOUR word for it that she is just "caught up in the moments of a new star".

Do you understand THAT?:biggrin: