Good recipes? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Good recipes?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
seanibu said:
234, yah I couldn't say that this is a more precise recipe, woh!

I guess I didn't understand this comment. I thought you meant you wanted a more detailed recipe.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
seanibu said:
234, yah I couldn't say that this is a more precise recipe, woh!

I guess I didn't understand this comment. I thought you meant you wanted a more detailed recipe.

Maybe it is that I am not flat out admitting that I really have never made candies / confections, and did not know how precise you have to be with this - thanks Piel for the run down. I have also heard now that I am asking, that the type of weather can play a part in it to. Someone said that you should avoid making candy on a cloudy day, best when the sun is out on a clear day. ???? WOW!

Also they asked if anyone would have some thoughts on making "Divinity Fudge." This sound incredibly difficult from their explanation. Sounds easier to split an Atom.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Candymaking is basically resizing and flavoring sugar crystals. You disolve the sugar in a liquid and then remove part of the liquid. When there is more moisture in the air it effects how much water is already in the sugar, how long it must be cooked to remove the correct amout of added water, and how much moisture from he air is reabsorbed after cooking. More room humidity = sticky candy and/or candy that won't set up to the desired firmness.

Divinity is not that difficult to make. There is divinity made from brown sugar and divinity made from white sugar. It is also sometimes called seafoam candy. Divinity is meringue that is cooked by addng hot sugar syrup (AKA italian meringue). The sugar mixture is cooked to the correct stage and then slowly streamed into whipped eggwhites while being beaten by a mixer. The hot syrup cooks the egg whites. It is then flavored. Pecans are sometimes added or the kind made with white sugar can be tinted with food coloring. Divinity is very sensitive to humidity. One of my best friends mother used to make 'seafoam" all of the time. She used white sugar and tinted it very pale blue, green, and aqua.

Italian meringue with softened butter beaten in makes italian meringue buttercream that is wonderful for wedding cakes. Seven minute icing (frosting) is very similar to italian meringue. The differenece is all of the ingrediants including the raw unbeaten eggwhites are mixed together and then slowly heated over a double broiler while continuously beating until peaks form.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
You make it sound so simple, I guess I am not that intimidated anymore. Your clarification is wonderful and it sounds like the rooms humidity is the important thing over what it might be outside - although these things have correlation to each other. As many times as I have watched someone make candies, I 'spose it is time I put my hands in there.

I understood the making of the maringue for have done that a few times, but the way it was being explained to me I did not quite get the gist of how these two things were coming together in making Divinity- that might have been the confusion talk of Hardcrack and the weather all wrapped into a hurried discussion in passing. Also other things on my mind that have to do with Mom, and she is the reason I am asking about the Divinity fudge.

The pralines I guess were the first interest, because that is one I truly enjoy - it always seems to be Chocolate overdose supreme that people make. I am really glad that it went to candies for me, because it has been awhile since Mom has been to excited about being at home more (can't move ore see to well), and the other kids don't do anything with her anymore - even my sister who lives 5 houses away - big twerp even tells her kids (mom's grands) not to go over when mom would love to see them every day. Blaa blaa....sorry for getting off.

Anyway thank you so much and it is helping in more ways then you think. Guess Mom doesn't care about her teeth anymore!:laugh: And we have something to do and we are both interested in.:biggrin:

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
BTW, Grgranny, I will be trying the pralines recipe tomorrow with Mom on "her" day.
Thank you soooo much!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
My mother made really good divinity. And that was before we had electricity and running water. Which means the old egg beater and the whisks, etc. My kids kept wanting me to make some so one year I did and I thought it would be really good to add some anise and make it taste like licorice.
Well, of course, it was gray - dirty looking and they kept teasing me about it so I told them I just wouldn't make it again. I never did. Had intended to but never had time. Some of the few things my mother would let us cook is fudge. And I loved to make it. I never used a recipe. Just put in what I thought and it turned out good. I don't dare make it any more - I would just eat it! :biggrin:

On that praline recipe. You just have to learn when to dish it up. It goes from not ready to ready really fast. Then you have sugary instead of creamy.

I often wonder if you people get tired of my "bygone" days. I guess if you don't like it, either don't read it or tell me to stop. I do have a few happy things among all the crap to remember.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I often wonder if you people get tired of my "bygone" days. I guess if you don't like it, either don't read it or tell me to stop. I do have a few happy things among all the crap to remember.

Not this kid, you are appreciated. Mom said that her thoughts on whether you should cook candies on a sunny day come from her mom. She grew up in Keystone (log cabin) and Rapid City South Dakota. My Grandpa was one of the first 3 people hired to work on Mt. Rushmore and lasted 'til the very end - even thought he was fired 7 times. Anyhoo, love the recipes and you nostalgia too.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mom is really excited, haven't seen her all a fluster in a while - Thanks Grgranny and Piel.:biggrin:
She would like to know what is the optimum humidity for making candies?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Wish I knew. I never knew anything about the humidity. That may be why once in a while I have a disaster. I never had many at Christmas time. That's when the house is closed up and the furnace on. Also, in the summer time when I have the air conditioners on. That way, I would think, you kind of had the humidity under control, except then it is probably too dry. I hardly ever make candy anymore. All my kids and I have some kind of diabetes (one is hypoglycemic). Sometimes I make a little for Christmas. And it is one of my favorites to make.

Cuban Black Beans....hmmm

Get a can of Goya Black Beans; follow directions on back of can; ladle some over rice; eat and enjoy; enter Cuban paradise.

Joe

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Sounds awful to me. I can't eat spicy. Allergic to white & black pepper. Do you know the 99% of the frozen & canned, etc. are all too much salt and have pepper in them. It's really too bad as I sure would like to have some of those boxed dinners once in a while. I do get Swanson's Chicken Pie but can only eat a half and warmed up, might as well save my electricity because it's terrible after it's reheated. Sure wish I could eat chili. When we make it, mine gets dished up before they put the chili powder in.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Your pecan recipe went in Moms book tonight, it was really good. Thanks Grgranny.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Just tried divinity, Mom said she had a friend who did it in the microwave, so that is what we tried.

everything went good until the spoon it on, they wouldn't stay peaked and retained the gloss. I thought she should have kept constant with the pour, but she was pouring and then let of, pouring....

Also I thought that we should put the walnuts (I wanted pecans) down and then spoon on the top. But she had me mix them in.

Now they are too sticky and glossy looking. I appreciate all the help so far and don't mean to be a pest, I am sure this is all a part of the trial and error process - but anybody have any Ideas / confirmations on where we went wrong?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
You cooked the syrup in the microwave? Are you sure you got it cooked long enough? I think it would be very difficult to boil it in the microwave long enough without it boiling over. Did the candy hold it's shape when you spooned it into the individual pieces? Sounds like either it needed to cook longer before adding to the egg whites or the humidity was too high and as the andy cooled it reabsorbed too much water from the air=sticky candy. If the candy is firm enough you could roll it into balls and then roll in chopped nuts. You do have to be pretty consistent beating the hot syrup into the egg whites so that they "cook" evenly.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Yep, screwed that one up, jesh. It was in the micro 17 minutes and when we pulled it out it temp.ed and did the cold water test. I think there were a number of issues - like Mom "winging it" to start buy using the micro - but she said her friend in Texas did it..., anyway it think that was doomed from the start. She also beat the meringue to death, it was peaking and she went a little longer before the swich to me beating and her adding. Oh well.
I found out she has recipes and just didn't know where they were (semi good reason there, but rather personal) so I dug them up. Here is two.
The first one I named Ora's Rocket Science Divinity Fudge -
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/orasrocetscidivinityfuge.jpg
Second is Selma's -
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/selmasdivinity.jpg

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
My sister called and wanted a easy salad recipe.

So I thought how about "One for Joesitz." - this came to mind because of the simple recipe that he submitted earlier. I thought it sounds like he would enjoy it more when it is easy - sometimes the eaz makes food better. No denying that.
So Tam and Joe here you go.

1 Btl Italian dressing - Olive Garden recommended but what ever you like.
1 small bag of "spiral pasta"
an onion
a red pepper
a small bag of sliced pepperoni that is laid down / fanned in a line or 2 (Alberto's a brand that makes these)
1 small bunch of FRESH parsley
1 6oz can of sliced mushrooms - smaller, bigger, whatever you like

1.Go to Olive Garden and get a bottle of their Italian dressing
2.Get you biggest clear or transparent colored bowl
3.Boil a small bag of "spiral pasta" Tri colored for fun (directions on bag if necessary:laugh: )
4."Chop up" 1/2 an onion, 1 red bell pepper "chopped" how big you want (don't use the steam and "seed pod")
5.Cut the bag of pepperoni down the center of the pepperoni with clean scissors
6.Chop up the FRESH parsley as good as you can
7.Open a small can or sliced mushrooms (as many or none, as you like) Fresh rinsed would be better, you decide
8. put all of this in the bowl and add dressing (strain pasta, mushroom can and remove all plastic - vegetables should be rinsed / cleaned) stir / mix untill everything is covered with dressing. You can save some dressing if everything is coated and there is a small amount "pooling" on the bottom of the bowl - at that point, stop adding.

Oh yeh, you could add some olives if you want.

You now have "Joe's Italliano pasta viva Torino!":rofl:

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Seanibu the first recipe that calls for jello seems like it would turn out more like a marshmallow. I assume by jello they mean unflavored gelatin? That recipe doesn't make sense to me. Gelatin needs to be disolved in liguid before addng it to recpes. I think adding it to the eggwhites with give you little lumps of gelatin in the eggwhites. The second recipe is more what I am used to This thread is making me very hungry for candy:laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Yep, hence the "rocket science," I just don't get that one.

BTW, how is everyone posting and there online indicators are never on???