Good recipes? | Golden Skate

Good recipes?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This is Le Cafe, let's share a few.

Now I don't want any flack about this, but these cookies were awesome. (yah it is just a recipe #1Kerryfan)

ch cher cookies.jpg

I will make Theresa's next to be fair.

pump sp cookies.jpg

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
My Brother and nephews hunt, I don't know if they're ever going to be up for a license and I live in CO, not that hard to find - let's hear one. Just leave out the cleaning part incase there is a week stomach:rofl:

When I started this I was more thinking of what FS might eat - there is one of you out there who I know knows!!!!;) But anything new or bring back a classic. Something to do when the season is off.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
This isn't a healthy or low cal dish but it is so good. One night my nephew wanted "potato skins without the skins" so I made this up for him. His name is Dustin but he goes by Dusty. I named it after him and since "Dusty Potatoes" sounds gross they are called "Potatoes Dustin". Sounds pretentious but tastes delicious, LOL. This is great served with burgers or steaks off the grill. Can be made the day before and then baked right before serving. Haven't met anyone who doesn't love this dish except my Mother's cardiologist:biggrin: .

Slice red potatoes and boil in lightly salted water until just fork tender, drain.

Cover the bottom an ovenproof casserole or baking pan with sliced bacon and either in the oven or on top of the stove cook just until the bacon rendors some grease.

Remove bacon, set aside.

Beginning with the potatoes layer potatoes, chopped green onions to taste, and shredded cheddar cheese. Repeat ending with cheese on top.

Cover with bacon that has been set aside.

Bake at 425 degrees F.until hot throughout, cheese is melted and bacon is crisp.

Serve hot with sour cream and more chopped green onions as garnish.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Someone at work suggested I give a couple of my so called secrets away. Not really secrets to me, for as I have told people some have known of these "tricks."

For every pint of tomato sauce you use in a recipe, use a 1/2 tsp of dry mustard. It does something to the acidity that mellows it out. This has been the biggest return of " so happy you told me that." Do not use this in most Mexican or Spanish recipes though.

Start out your Turkey on the breast side down, flip it back over a 1/3 of the way cooking time.

Water Chestnuts chopped in Tuna salad. I also have great response to a little bit of purple cabbage. And for goodness sake save the cheep stuff for the casseroles or just don't bother, pure white is well worth the little extra cost.

Making your own tosttatas (bad day spelling I guess?), nice because you can avoid trans fats if you wish. Do them as a soft - 4-5 seconds a side in frying - and then let them cool. Put them back in until hard. This way you wont have weird section in the middle and It comes out flat and crispy as can be.:biggrin:

I also was asked for 3 years to yield my "Asian Potato Salad" recipe. It is super simple (just a number of steps and ingredients) and if I feel like working it up I will post it here as well.

Alsace

On the Ice
seanibu said:
Start out your Turkey on the breast side down, flip it back over a 1/3 of the way cooking time.

How do you arrange your turkey so that you can both lift it over one way and then after it finishes cooking, lift it out from the bottom? (Is this making sense?)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Seanibu Ok I've got to have the Asian potato salad recipe. When I worked for NutriSystem they used to have water chestnut in their chicken salad. I LOVE crunchy!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Alsace said:
How do you arrange your turkey so that you can both lift it over one way and then after it finishes cooking, lift it out from the bottom? (Is this making sense?)

It is a pain old flip, but well worth it. And that is all I do is flip it. I never stuff it, just put an orange on the neck inside the cavity. So all I do is stick a cutlery fork (really big fork) and lift and turn - yes it is kinda weird the first time you try it. Got to stuff the wings down and a little bit of adjustment. Nothing is fully cooked at that point so nothing is falling apart. SOOO worth it.

I hope that is what you are asking, it is really simple process, just heavy.

Roasting pan used? Maybe the issue of having to lift it and turn is the part not making since. I should clarified that "lift and flip."

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Seanibu Ok I've got to have the Asian potato salad recipe.

And you haven't even been to a potluck of ours? You sound like everyone there.
Anyway, I wanted to tell you that it has always been a "to taste" and I will have to make it and write down the amounts.

I also have a Creamy tomato lemon that I was asked to do the same thing, I do have that written down at "advantageous request," - it blew my and everyone else's mind who had it - but not looking forward to digging through that file.

I also have a slight change to Blu Cheese dressing, just replace 1/3 of the mayo with sour cream and .2 times more tobacco / redhot. And if you are not using white pepper already, due so but reduce the amount to 2/3s I did that at an upscale restaurant I worked at and they still use it 11 years latter.

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I find if I use two big forks, I can get it turned but it is really hard to do. Nowadays I don't have to because I only cook it when the kids are here and my daughters and granddaughters do it all. When they get the potatoes peeled and sliced they want me to put all the ingredients because that's what they like. I don't have to cook, do dishes or anything when they're here. Aren't I lucky? :love:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
ALSO, I have a great recipe for tomato soup from the 3 (or is it 4?) B's restaurant in AZ. It has heavy cream in it and lots of fat and calories.
I had strawberry soups yesterday and it is delicious. Anyone want these recipes? Also some pralines and Snicker Brownies.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny the strwberry soup sounds yummy, do you have the recipe? Anyone else have recipes using fresh fruit (no bananas)? Thanks!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I don't have the strawberry soup recipe yet but hope to find one. It's kind of like eating melted ice cream. I do have a really good cake recipe - Serendipity cake-
it has nuts in it and the layers have cream cheese in the frosting. My son in law took it to all their cake contests at church and he won every time so they quit having it. :rofl: Overall, I do have quite a few very good recipes. I have quite a few cookbooks. Banana nut bread that has lemon in it. Apple chunk cake.
I have found for chocolate cake the one on the Hershey's Cocoa box hasn't been beat for me.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Just for you awesome gals - I hope you like Rhubarb, it is coming to time.
This is all recall, so I hope I remembered well!

Rhubarb / Strawberry soup
1 lb rhubarb
1 lb strawberries
1 1/4 c orange juice
1/2 c sugar
1 tspn salt
1 tbs butter
1/4 c chopped orange sections
Slice strawberries.
Set aside 4 fanned strawberries for garnish out of the lb.
Prep rhubarb - bite size chunks.
Sauté in a pot with butter (technically that isn't but you get it) over medium heat add salt.
Add other fruit and bring orange juice to boil.
Simmer for 10 minutes reducing slightly.
Stir in sugar, taste as you get close to all of it, strawberries very in sweetness sometimes so you may not need all 1/2 c of sugar or maybe a little more.
Remove from heat.
Allow to cool.
Blend at low speed.
Fold in oranges - do not blend.
Refrigerate at least 3hrs.
Serve soup in chilled bowls, garnish with strawberry fans.

Great with a slice of Banana bread (sorry Piel) and a Longisland icetea!:)

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
seanibu said:
Sean, just wondering why you do this??

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Sean, just wondering why you do this??

Dee

Moist and tender adding some flavor to the breast. Like I say, a pain (not that much) but well worth it. When I first started in "cooking" I was serving for a Wedding and the bird was just "ooozing" with juices, the party was moaning in delight the first bites and some were saying they always go for the dark meat because of the moist and more flavorful meat comes from there. But they had a bite of someone else's.....you get the point. Anyway that is where I got it from and why I always do it. More then you asked but thought that might help more.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
most of my favorite recipies involve moose meat :)

May have heard of this, but since you didn't share I went looking. It seems similar to a dear pot pie my Sister in-law makes with the Venison my Brother gets. He also has the best Elk chili recipe, but alas will never share.:frown:

Also sounds like...well that is just a strange name in light of the ones you may see up there on the paths.:laugh:

Moose Pie
1 1/2 lb moose steak, cubed
1/3 - 1/2 c. flour
1 md onion, chopped
1 Clove minced garlic
3 tb oil
2 c water
2 tb worcestershire sauce
1 ts marjoram
1 ts thyme
1 ts celery seed
1 ts salt
1/2 ts pepper
Bay leaf
Diced potatoes and carrots
Frozen peas or green beans
Pie crust
Shake cubed steak in plastic bag with flour, a few cubes at a time. Brown moose and onions and garlic in heated oil, until Moose is brown. Add water, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and peppers. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 1 1/2 hours. Add potatoes and carrots, cook approximately 30 to 45 minutes longer. Add peas. Pour into pie pan. Cover with pie crust, flute edge, cut slits in top. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is nicely browned.

found at http://www.bowhunts.com/recipe_moose.html

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
seanibu said:
Moist and tender adding some flavor to the breast. .
I wondered if it had to do with keeping the breast moist. A friend of mine is a chef and he puts 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of water in the roaster with a tight lid and cooks for the recommended time and about 1/2 to 45 minutes takes the lid off to brown. I have never tasted such moist meat. It's wonderful!!!.

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Also found, and it was awesome - but of course!

Creamy Tomato Le Buzz - my first soup du jour:yes:

8 tbs unsalted butter
8 Celery ribs, diced fine
2 Onions diced fine
1/4 c basil dried
1/4 c Fresh Parsley sprigs minced
1/8 c pulled thyme
1/8 c dried oregano
1 ounce Tabasco
2 ts Black pepper - fine
1/4 c Lemon zest
2 tbs Fresh Lemon Juice

1 Gallon diced Tomatoes

4 ts sea salt
4 c Heavy Whipping Cream
5 Basil leaves diced - for garnish

Melt Butter in gallon pot, add celery onion, lemon, herbs, Tabasco, and pepper (omit only the fresh basil) . Do not add salt to the mixture, keeping the flavors separate at this point is desired. Simmer for 20 minutes - until ingredients are completely soft. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes - until tomatoes have released all their liquid. Strain entirely - do not press but ligthly toss / filip to strain completely. Whip and salt heavy whipping cream. Return to pot, gently stir in Whipping cream Reheat, once temp is just reached - hot / slight bubbling. Serve immediately with fresh basil in small pile on top of each bowl.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I wondered if it had to do with keeping the breast moist. A friend of mine is a chef and he puts 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of water in the roaster with a tight lid and cooks for the recommended time and about 1/2 to 45 minutes takes the lid off to brown. I have never tasted such moist meat. It's wonderful!!!.

Dee

Almost as good, that is what I had always done as well, but the realization that steam does not make as tender or flavorful of meat as say a crock pot...well you get the point i am sure anyway. Also - mentioning the browning - that will also assist you in getting a caramelized golden brown with skin they will fight over - the flip tech.

Just curious, I have not heard of any recipes without using water / base in the roaster (my Mother used to just cover with foil - dry bird anyone), and also remember some "plastic bag" you could put the whole bird in - but that received the same results as steaming it, more moist with out a flavor. have you or someone you know made it without the base in the roaster before?

Last edited: