Most likeable athletes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Most likeable athletes

MKFSfan

Medalist
password said:
Like who? Just wondering because she's is good friends with Goebel, Weir, Tanith and Ben on tour. Among the public, she's not as well known as Kwan.

I meant basically what you said too-it just seems that Michelle is rather popular not just to the general public but also among her peers. Many skaters seem to have some nice, personal stories to share about Michelle, whether it's cute stories like Fumie in 1998 asking Michelle to teach her a lutz, or Jonhhy saying Michelle is the nicest skater-humble and gracious, would give you the coat off her back...same kind of stories always circle Michelle.

When you look through the pictures on Sasha's website, you can see she has many skating friends. But in the past, there seemed to be some rumblings that she wasn't considered one of the more friendly skaters. Granted, many of these stories were from fans, but it seemed Sasha's on ice antics kept other skaters from interacting with her off ice. I don't know anything 1st hand, so I could be totally off the mark!

Shiz definitely looked like she was on a business trip all through the Olympics. Kinda funny how that was praised, like she came prepared, did her job, and won the Gold, when Michelle was harshly criticized for treating Nagano like a business trip...There are a couple of clips around of Shiz, and she's not all business all the time! That chewing gum commercial was pretty funny. I remember 2004 Worlds, there was a story how Miki was totally in awe of Michelle. Michelle was watching a practice session when Shiz and Miki walked by her. Shiz poked Michelle then turned around so that when Michelle looked, she thought it was Miki who poked her. Miki was mortified! So, Shiz sounds like she can have fun at times.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
If indeed true, very interesting.

Not a question (not saying this snotty, just making it clearer), but as far as Shizuka personally, it can be only a guess - I think that is what RD means when saying "if true." Mainly because I say that it is not true of all, she is more so like that then others (meaning some Japanese women), and it is her way of "expressing her face" - not saying that her attitude is anything different then a "fun loving type" (I've only seen her skate, not talked to her myself after a "few beers."
This is particularly true when I meet the 40 something crowd of Japanese opposed to the younger. I took Akio to a Broncos game and he rarely smiled, but Hiroko did all the time when we were out having fun. She just couldn't give a genuine looking smile in the "nice to meat you" or "I am pleased with your opinion" situations needing some help due to her being in sales. Pretty just doesn't cut it all the time. She also asked if there were ways to prevent getting "smile lines" (She would often tell me not to wrinkle my forehead in the questioning look because it causes wrinkles) so that may have something to do with reserving the smile for when it is needed or just can't hold it back - that is really a far fetched opinion but possible in why the "habit" of not smiling is true. I did date a Philippina that would get mad (yes, MAD - little freak) because I made her smile and would grab her face and wipe the edges of her cheeks saying "don't, you give me wrinkles."
Only thoughts. I am just trying to say that Shi-chan could be a really sweet lady (some comments I have heard definitely substantiate this) it just doesn't appear that way to others because of facial expressions. The reasons may or may not be correct, but the fact that is somewhat common of many Asian cultures is 100% true, just not of every single person. As a matter of fact, there are classes on how to smile for many sales reps, that is why Hiro asked me - I am a feminine guy in many aspects and our company did not offer these classes. I have also had others from Japan come to my office saying "you were (the) one who teach Hiroko to smile (so) good." I learned that technique from sales reps from other companies we acquired for training.

BTW, don't take anything I say from just a single comment or sentence, The meaning is in the paragraph, not the phrase most of the time with me.

Last edited:
Asian people say about Americans, "You are so inscrutable! You smile all the time, so no one can tell what you are really thinking!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I notice this more down South, actually. People tend to smile a lot more and are in general much friendlier than here on the East coast.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Asian people say about Americans, "You are so inscrutable! You smile all the time, so no one can tell what you are really thinking!

Mooo-haa-haaa (we need that rubbing hands together fiendishly emotionicon)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Seanibu is Akio a common Japanese name.?

Not as common as Hiroko - that is like "Jane" for Americans, and Sato seems to be the "Smith" - and he is the only one I know. I have asked him before and he said not to uncommon. The reason I asked him was because I was under the impression that a Japanese name ending with a "o" are commonly associated with ladies, but there is a few more reasons behind that too. But according to him that has been somewhat changing - "westenized."

News and a link;
I have been boogying around the web because I was die'n to see Miki's quad, finally found a place that has a number of great vids and super pictures - you hear that Reddog pictures! ;) Although you may have already been there and I am sure a few of you have been. Good site over all. Some of the pics were already in the collection (just 2 new of Fumie for me), but a few freshies!:rock:
Great pics like this of 3 of the finest ladies in the world!!
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/imgp8478.jpg
Yowsa!:love: :love: :love: :love: Thats 2 for the first lady on the left! JMO

http://www.japanskates.com/VideoHome.htm

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
awesome site, thanks for posting it. And yes, you're right...lots of pictures...yeah! I don't have many of the Japanese skaters at all (save Arakawa and Suguri).

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Spun Silver said:
Wow, this site is great. Thanks! I just enjoyed discovering Yukari Nakano. What a beauty. Where exactly is Miki's quad?

And the above is the prettiest picture of Arakawa I've seen. How delicate and lovely.

I thought so too of Yukari, lovely young lady.:love: :no:

The clip of Miki's Quad should be under the link in videos named Miki's Quad.

Shi-chan does look lovely, the smile is kinda....well, I think she could use the "smile with a pencil practice." The shawl I am not too fond of though. A mazing to think how she is one of the most beautiful ladies ever, IMO, yet her smile is...just imagine if...:rolleye:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I notice this more down South, actually. People tend to smile a lot more and are in general much friendlier than here on the East coast.

Case in point. PE

Kasey

Medalist
Spun Silver said:
Wow, this site is great. Thanks! I just enjoyed discovering Yukari Nakano. What a beauty. Where exactly is Miki's quad?

And the above is the prettiest picture of Arakawa I've seen. How delicate and lovely.

I hadn't really heard much or seen any of Nakano when I saw her at Skate Canada last year....and I'll tell you, leg wrap or not, she is awesome to watch! Even in practice, she has a certain energy to her....and her Amazing Grace exhibition is absolutely gorgeous! I felt lucky to have seen her there, live, and considered her and Yan Liu "great finds" (and Sarah Meier much better live than when I'd seen her before on Tv)

seanibu said:
The clip of Miki's Quad should be under the link in videos named Miki's Quad.

Thanks, seanibu! So, now I've seen a ladies' quad.

Please don't think I'm being picky, but the slo-mo showed that she landed before completing the 4th rotation. Is that still considered a "good" quad or is it considered 3.5 or what?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Spun Silver said:
Thanks, seanibu! So, now I've seen a ladies' quad.

Please don't think I'm being picky, but the slo-mo showed that she landed before completing the 4th rotation. Is that still considered a "good" quad or is it considered 3.5 or what?

Not sure, I have asked what a "cheat" is specifically and no one has clarified. I thought they only gave it if it was a 1/4 turn and that was a "cheat." I guess we'll have to wait for the "FS Gods" to clarify.

Kasey

Medalist
Usually more than 1/4 turn cheated, the jump is downgraded. I don't know if the competition where she was ratified, if they were not using CoP, or were just being generous.

Miki's quad was ratified under the old (6.0) judging system. It was at the 2002 Jr. Grand Prix final at the Hague, Netherlands. In those days I believe that the event referee had the main responsibility for recommending official ratification. Miki had already landed two quads in previous competitions, but they were lower level non-ISU sanctioned events.

It seemed to me that after the 2002 Olympics there was a big push by the ISU to get more oomph into the sport. At 2002 Skate America alone, both Yukari Nakano and Ludmilla Neledina did triple Axels, ratified by the event officials (the first triple Axels in ladies for a decade).

Kimmie's triple Axel came in the very last major event ever scored under the old judging system (2005 U.S. Nationals.)

One of the points of the New Judging System was supposedly to clean this up. Under the NJS Mao Asada has had several of her triple Axels downgraded, but also has completed several fully rotated ones.

Some people criticize the CoP for it's insistence on complete revolutions, with no more than a quarter turn cheat on the landing. If you complete the revolutions, then even if you fall afterwards you still get about the same amount of points as if your jump was downgraded to a double, but was otherwise error-free. So, comparing the two systems, the new system is tougher on cheated rotations but more lenient on falls.

MM :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Honestly MM, you are a star! Thank you for clarifying. It is Much appreciated! You too Kasey, thanks!

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
If you will allow me to go off topic for a second, I'd like to clarify what I really mean by "intense". For example, Shizuka had this REALLY business-like look at the Olympics. She was all business the whole time she was there (from looking at backstage photos, etc.) and just looked so driven and focused. (Maybe that's why she won?) Anyway, even on the podium it took her until the end to finally crack a smile. Seems like she showed some emotion once she found out that she won but then after that it was back to Stone Face. I just wanted to grab her and say, "Lighten up, man, you just won the OLYMPICS!" :laugh:

I think in part this may have been more noticeable when you compare her overall reaction and demeanor to that of the last 3 Ladies OGM's -- Oksana bawling all over the place, Tara jumping up and down and emitting a hair-perming shriek, and Sarah and Robin falling on the floor shreiking and weeping in SLC. (I can't remember how Kristi responded.) I think the main factor here is that Shizuka is NOT a teenager; by age 24, most people's reactions tend to be more reserved than they were at 16. And some people just aren't that "smiley". Personally, one of the things I've always liked about Shizuka is her "cool" demeanor; I think it gives her, and not just her skating, a very elegant, regal, almost aristocratic quality that adds to her mystique.