Do the prettiest skaters always win? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Do the prettiest skaters always win?

Gwendolyn

Rinkside
password said:
I agree...Tanith is super-model pretty...no doubt about that! She's what guys would term really, really, really, really,...HOT. But when someone says beautiful, IMO its more like...i dont know...exotic,unique I guess.

ITA also!!! I think Tanith is very pretty but nothing unique.

And it's funny because I was just coming to add that once during a conversation with some male friends about, well, "hotness" defined, they came up with Anna Kournikova. The odd thing was, they thought she was HOT, but not pretty. So somehow, there is a distinction there... or my friends are just weird.;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
password said:
I agree...Tanith is super-model pretty...no doubt about that! She's what guys would term really, really, really, really,...HOT. But when someone says beautiful, IMO its more like...i dont know...exotic,unique I guess.

This I think classifies as a common thought, yes I agree, some guys. Not this one. But Tanith is a babe, still prefer Sasha even. That is just me.

Kasey

Medalist
julietvalcouer said:
B&S 'beautiful'--uh, not really. Though they're better looking thatn TT/MM, who are unpleasant. .

Maxim Marinin is "unpleasant"?????!!!!

Um, sure. Whatever.

perry125

Rinkside
I think physical beauty plays a part in ice dancing. I always get the feeling that Del&Sch would get better results if she was a little taller and a little thinner. And B&A would not be where they are if Tanith had warts LOL.
Obviously a lot of people watch figure skating for both the beauty of the sport and also the athletes and the powers that be would be naive not to acknowledge that ( if not openly). When I watch figure skating with friends, usually the thing they comment about most is the physical looks so if you wanted to make figure skating popular it would probably help to have as many aesthetically pleasing athletes as possible.
I heard a rumour that lately when the Japanese Skating Federation pick young girl skaters for special training for potential olympic athletes, physical looks: face, bone structure, leg torso ratio, small head, are all part of the criteria for being chosen. I'm not sure about the men (judging from Oda's looks LOL).

Wolfgang

On the Ice
You see people like Tanith Belbin everywhere?
Time for me to move.....:)
She's 'hot' because she looks like a woman in a sport where the vast majority of her competitiors look like they're in junior high, even if they're already in their 20's or beyond.....
I agree with what's been said about this being a little too subjective, Shizuka Arakawa won the Olympics because # 1 (Michelle Kwan) did not compete,, and # 2 (Irina Slutskaya) and # 3 (Sasha Cohen) both fell.......
The fact that she's probably the 'prettiest' of the 4 (imho)is coincidental, at least in this case.
Good point about Trixi Schuba, who looked more like a Bulgarian hammer thrower from the Cold War years than a figure skater, but was absolute dynamite in school figures.
Add me to the list of people who disagree on Katarina Witt, I don't see what's so beautiful, sexy, 'flirtatious' or 'hot' about her, either.She looks like a soccer player to me.......
I did not see the competition, but beauty may have had something to do with Kristi Yamaguchi (WOW:love: )beating Midori Ito( :frown2: )in Albertville.

Wolfgang said:
You see people like Tanith Belbin everywhere?
Time for me to move.....:)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Add me to the list of people who disagree on Katarina Witt, I don't see what's so beautiful, sexy, 'flirtatious' or 'hot' about her, either.She looks like a soccer player to me.......
Specifically, like
this
soccer player (Mia Hamm :love: )

Now about flirtatious, there are two schools of thought. There is the "less is more" school (Kristii Y, who can do more by raising one shoulder a half centimeter and looking back into the camera, than other ladies can do posing for Playboy.) Then there is the "more is more" school (posing for Playboy).

MM

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK, it's obvious this board (and skating) is dominated largely by females so from a (straight) guy's point of view, let me just say I disagree with all of you. :laugh: Tanith is probably the closest to "hot" of all the skaters out there competing now (in any discipline) IMO. I'm not including retired skaters here.

Oh yeah...call me whatever you want but I don't even think Mia Hamm is all that. (But that's a nice picture of her. MM- you always find a way to get the nicest pictures...in most cases :laugh: )

R.D.

Record Breaker
instead of "doing beautiful", I'd say "play beautiful". She tries to be that in most of her performances, in other words she attempts to play the part. JMO. And I think for the most part she pulls it off

I'd say that's a word that could describe her skating more than her physical appearance. (IMPORTANT: This is not meant as a knock or bash, just an observation!!)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
instead of "doing beautiful", I'd say "play beautiful". She tries to be that in most of her performances, in other words she attempts to play the part. JMO. And I think for the most part she pulls it off

I rather think that Michelle "does beautiful" rather than "plays beautiful" because of the way she handles herself off ice (i.e., the losses to Tara and Sarah and the withdrawal from Torino). But, I think people's behavior and character often improves their appearance (especially in their eyes) -- not that all who are gorgeous are also good, but instead, all who are good are better looking than they otherwise would be.

Tinika

Rinkside
Kasey said:
Maxim Marinin is "unpleasant"?????!!!!

Um, sure. Whatever.

I sure wouldn't call him unpleasant! Far from it! But he does have kind of a hard face. That isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Red Dog said:
OK, it's obvious this board (and skating) is dominated largely by females so from a (straight) guy's point of view, let me just say I disagree with all of you. :laugh: Tanith is probably the closest to "hot" of all the skaters out there competing now (in any discipline) IMO. I'm not including retired skaters here.

Oh yeah...call me whatever you want but I don't even think Mia Hamm is all that. (But that's a nice picture of her. MM- you always find a way to get the nicest pictures...in most cases :laugh: )
Are you insecure in your sexuality that you have to preface your post with the "I'm Straight"? Who cares but you?

R.D.

Record Breaker
umm, it was just a clarification...why get up in arms about it? Why is it a such a bad thing? This is a rather touchy issue it seems, still.

Red Dog said:
umm, it was just a clarification...why get up in arms about it? Why is it a such a bad thing? This is a rather touchy issue it seems, still.
Should we all announce our ethnic backgrounds because we need to clarify our posts? I think we should stick to our opinions and not make any sticky comments.

Alsace

On the Ice
julietvalcouer said:
P/T are a beautiful couple. S/Z are not, but they get that trancendant thing going on.

(Sticking to opinions...) I disagree with Juliet about P/T. I think that T has an unattractive face, though I think his balletic line is good. P is quite pretty.

attyfan said:
But, I think people's behavior and character often improves their appearance (especially in their eyes) -- not that all who are gorgeous are also good, but instead, all who are good are better looking than they otherwise would be.
This is especially true of old people, whose physical features can take on a "lived-in" dignity befitting their character. Princess Julia Wades-in-the-Water.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joe, earlier in this thread I prefaced a post that I was a straight woman. We are discussing a very subjective thing...beauty. Posters have mentioned skaters appealing to them as being "hot". It is well documented that men and women have different ideas of beauty. Are those differences because of sexual attraction or other reasons? If it is because of sexual attraction then sexual orientation might also influence what one thinks is attractive.

passion

On the Ice
Like I said before, hot and pretty are both subjective concepts. I will add, though, that hot is not synonymous with pretty. You can be hot without being pretty and vice versa. Depends what you do with your sexuality to come off as hot.