Miki Ando's future? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando's future?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Does it seem like Mao is "at the point where Miki was at 2 years ago" or is it "Miki never was that good or promising"?
Asking Ops.

If it is that others where Miki was then they have just a big of possibility in "falling from grace."

IMO, Miki can turn it, the question FOR ME is will she?

"Dumpy." I know it is opinion, and that was not as "slimming" as some outfits I agree 100%. I for some odd reason feel like I should defend her,:scratch: I know it is stupid, like she will ever hear this or like someone may have already said it - comes with the territory of being a celeb. It is just one of those things that drives me up the wall, I am in a dressingroom with a girl and she is looking like "one fine momma." And here she is saying she looks dumpy or fat::banging: :banging: :banging:
IOW, if Miki was to read this (ya right) There are numbers of people that couldn't agree less, and you would look good in a potato sack if you were trying to "express" that look. I know its pointless, and everyone could and SHOULD express their honest Opinions - please don't think you said anything "wrong."

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
My thoughts are that Miki was looking very good in the beginning of the season. She skated very well at CoR and looked very polished. From what I read on FSU, she sustained a foot injury just prior to Japanese Nationals and that affected her skating. Again from a source on FSU, she was practicing very well at the Olympics and broke down emotionally when a reporter asked her if she was dedicating her performance to her dead father.

I think what did Miki in was what did Johnny in and that was changing a long program (like she did last year at Worlds) that she had competed with all season long and she lacked the muscle memory to perform it well. I felt that the biggest mistake Miki made was to change that Guitar Concerto LP and go back to the Firebird just as the Concerto LP was starting to look very good.

MKFSfan

Medalist
seanibu said:
Does it seem like Mao is "at the point where Miki was at 2 years ago" or is it "Miki never was that good or promising"?
Asking Ops.

If tit is that others were were Miki was then they have just a big of possibility in "falling from grace."

IMO, Miki can turn it, the question FOR ME is will she?

Hmmm...good question! When Miki first burst on the scene, all you heard about her her jumps, her 3lutz/3loop and her quad salchow. Mao has her 3flip/3loop, 3axle, 3loop/2loop/2loop and rumored to have a quad in the makings. So, both were highly touted jumping beans.

The difference I think is Mao really thrives under COP-she backloads her LP so her jumps get the bonuses. She has better spirals than Miki-even got a level 4 a couple of times. Next season, I bet she gets more consistent with her Y-slide move and gets more level 4's. Both ladies have good laybacks-beillmann spins, but I think Mao is stronger overall in her spinning. I think Mao's weakest part in her skating is in her FW section, while I think Miki has more weak parts (spirals, FW, consistency). Mao also has a different presence on the ice, more confidence and IMO, more connection to the audience, so she looks more enjoyable out there...IMO!!!

I do like Miki, and think she suffered a huge blow to her confidence, coupled with going through puberty. Maybe the Japanese Fed. will ship her back to Japan and away from US and Carol Heiss and we'll see the Miki from 2003-2004 again!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Nice thoughts! I think the "ship back" might be a good plan too.

What do you / anyone think about the starting with the spin did if anything?

MKFSfan

Medalist
seanibu said:
Nice thoughts! I think the "ship back" might be a good plan too.

What do you / anyone think about the starting with the spin did if anything?

By "starting with the spin" do you mean how Miki would begin with her layback? I liked it! It was something different than the usual-many skaters wait to spin and get their jumps done, so they aren't as tired. I love her layback-beillmann spin. I'm not sure it did anything in particular except, I wonder if it loses the impact to do one of your best elements 1st, esp. if you have a not clean program-do the judges "forget"?

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
By "starting with the spin" do you mean how Miki would begin with her layback? I liked it! It was something different than the usual-many skaters wait to spin and get their jumps done, so they aren't as tired. I love her layback-beillmann spin. I'm not sure it did anything in particular except, I wonder if it loses the impact to do one of your best elements 1st, esp. if you have a not clean program-do the judges "forget"?

Exactly, and in the Olys it went into a Beilmann both times - LB to a Blmn.
Do you think that caused her problems later or helped "condition her" for latter jumps?

IMO helped but I am not a great FSer or the wisest in this area either. "Thinkybu"