7/12 Bday of George Butterworth | Golden Skate

7/12 Bday of George Butterworth

E

eltamina

7/12 Bday of George Butterworth

www.calculator.net/Butterworth/

On the outbreak of World War I in August, 1914, he quickly joined the Durham Light Infantry as a Lieutenant in the 13th Battalion. During his year in the trenches, he was "mentioned in dispatches" for outstanding courage, won the Military Cross. (a very high honor)

ence of a trench that was subsequently named for him, and led a raid during the Battle of the Somme. The raid was successful but Butterworth was killed by a sniper's bullet. It was August 5th, 1916. His memorial is at Thiepval.

<span style="color:red;font-size:x-small;">His music is of the very highest quality and at the same time extremely simple and sparing</span>. His own standards were so exacting that he destroyed those of his scores which he deemed unworthy before setting out for France. His teachers included Thomas Dunhill (while at Eton), Christian Padel in York, and Hubert Parry who was director of the Royal College of Music while Butterworth was there.

It is this simple and sparing quality that makes me notice. Some composers wrote grand and larger than life stuff, Beethoven, Wagner, Mahler. Some composers wrote simple and can dim sum (lightly touches your heart) :)

A

Aloft02

Re: 7/12 Bday of George Butterworth

I believe his wife makes very fine syrup.

M

mathman444

Re: Aloft

<span style="color:blue;">And a big happy birthday to Kristi Y., as well.</span>

MM