Skating Trivia Game | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skating Trivia Game

Alsace

On the Ice
Katerina Witt rule made for the 1988-89 season, maybe.

Which skater would have won worlds in 1990 if said skater had finished one place higher in school figures?

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Alsace said:
Katerina Witt rule made for the 1988-89 season, maybe.

Which skater would have won worlds in 1990 if said skater had finished one place higher in school figures?

Midori Ito?

Which two singles skaters, one male, one female, won the same medal at two different Olympic games in the 1990s?

Kasey

Medalist
Lu Chen, bronze x2

Elvis Stojko, silver x2

Who were the oldest singles skaters to win World championships?

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Kasey said:
Lu Chen, bronze x2

Elvis Stojko, silver x2

Who were the oldest singles skaters to win World championships?

Actually, I meant to say the same color medal at two Olympics.

Is Maria Butyrskaya up there, or are there way older World Champions back in the early part of the 20th century, before the premiums on youth went waaay up?:)

evenstar

Final Flight
Kerrigan is the ladie's answer, I think. I've no idea who the man is. Only Stojko and Candelero come to mind.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
evenstar said:
Kerrigan is the ladie's answer, I think. I've no idea who the man is. Only Stojko and Candelero come to mind.

That's the one, evenstar:) Lulu and Candeloro, two of my fave singles skaters ever:love::love::love: :clap: Both won bronze in '94 and '98, a testament to their longevity and artistic flair.

Which skater holds the Guinness World Record for longest spin?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
sarahmistral said:
... Is Maria Butyrskaya up there, or are there way older World Champions back in the early part of the 20th century, before the premiums on youth went waaay up?:)

I think Maria Butyrskaya is the oldest lady to win. The men's I don't know.

evenstar

Final Flight
Most revolutions on spins- 60 by Neil Wilson

Name the five mistakes of Michelle Kwan at the 1997 U.S nationals

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
sarahmistral said:
Which skater holds the Guinness World Record for longest spin?

Actually, the correct answer is Lucinda Ruh. Neil Wilson had set the record, but Ruh broke it live on the Today Show.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
evenstar said:
Yes, but does the Guiness Book of World Records state that it's Ruh?

Yes. A representative of the Guiness Book of World Records was present when Ruh broke her record. She was presented a plaque issued by them. I have no idea whether a new book has been printed since then, but they definitely acknowledged her record.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Pixie Cut said:
Yes. A representative of the Guiness Book of World Records was present when Ruh broke her record. She was presented a plaque issued by them. I have no idea whether a new book has been printed since then, but they definitely acknowledged her record.

So is it 61, or how many? and when did this happen. I 'spose I could look it up but... well I guess I wait and see.

She did 103 on the Today Show.

But the ice was not perfect at Rockefeller Center and it was windy, so she went out later and established the current record of 115.

MM :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That is increadible!

So the second try was outside too.? Was that a requirement of the record? I would only imagine that it would be an advantage to do them indoors. Wouldn't it?:scratch:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I shouldn't start things like this if I keep falling off the radar.... :laugh:

Alice Sue Claeys is the correct answer to the Former American Who Beat Oksana Bayul in Qualifying Group question; she represented Belgium. (She also finished 8th in the 92 Worlds).

I find it interesting, when looking through the "USFSA Media Guide" to try and answer the Oldest World Champions question, they are willing to list the YOUNGEST Oly and World Champions (to the 13th youngest Oly champion and the 19th youngest World champion), but not the OLDEST. Pretty much confirms where their mentality is, which seems to be, who cares what they did once they got out of their teens??

Since 2000, how many countries have won their FIRST EVER Worlds medals?

gkelly

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
I find it interesting, when looking through the "USFSA Media Guide" to try and answer the Oldest World Champions question, they are willing to list the YOUNGEST Oly and World Champions (to the 13th youngest Oly champion and the 19th youngest World champion), but not the OLDEST. Pretty much confirms where their mentality is, which seems to be, who cares what they did once they got out of their teens??

My guess is that they just don't know . . . birth dates are probably not available for all the early champions (they are certainly not all available online). If only one is missing, or if only the year of birth is known and two or more skaters have the same number of years between birth year and last win year, there's no way to determine who was the actual oldest.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
gkelly said:
My guess is that they just don't know . . . birth dates are probably not available for all the early champions (they are certainly not all available online). If only one is missing, or if only the year of birth is known and two or more skaters have the same number of years between birth year and last win year, there's no way to determine who was the actual oldest.

The guide lists many cases where they say "actual birthdate of such and such year champion so and so is unknown and may affect this listing", but that of course only applies to the "listings" they actually put up.

What South American country actually has an Olympic top 8 finish in figure skating?