Music, what do you want to hear? | Golden Skate

Music, what do you want to hear?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I think that there are reasons for the music used. But If you could see anybody do a routine to any music, what would it be?

The first one that comes to mind for me is
Fumie (of course) skating to "You Look So Fine" by the band Garbage (then I could die happy).:love: :bow:

Yuka skating to "Slide Away" by Oasis (also pure joy in my soul!!!):love:

Irina S (I wish she liked the nick name Rini) skating to "Girl" by Tori Amos - would like it if Tori was at center Ice playing piano too:love:

Sasha Skating to "Freedom 90" by George Michael:love:

Tatiana and Max skating to "Until The End Of The World" by U2: ;)

Kurt skating to "Too Little Too Late" by Barenaked Ladies:cool:

Johnny skating to "Fighter" or "What A Girl Wants" by Christina Aguilera:cool:

Jenney Kirk to "Wicked Garden" by Stone Temple Pilots:love:

Miki skating to "Diesel power" by Prodigy:love:

Denis and Melissa to "Circles" by Incubus:love: :cool:

Just to name a "few":laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Not just because that is what I want, but it is something I think missing from getting "new fans."

Kasey

Medalist
In terms of music that could be used in eligible competition, I would love to see some more blues or jazz variations in use, by skaters who do it good! :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hmmm for competitive skating I think the Ice Age movie's overture would be a great piece of upbeat music, maybe use it for a short program. I could see someone like Evan Lysacek or Fumie Suguri who do well with footwork using it.

I want to see Paul Wylie skate to "I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe
Kurt Browning - I've wanted to see him skate to "Shameless" (the Garth Brooks version) for years

hmmmmm meditate on this, I will.

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
You want to know what I would love to see if people can skate to music from H.I.M.? Especially Johnny Weir who looks alot like Ville Valo minus the eyes, of course since Ville Valo has the most amazing eyes ever, and the most amazing everything, but this is a figure skating forum and not a H.I.M. forum as much as I love the band.

Some ice-dancers would be awesome skating to something by Epica, especially from their "Consign to Oblivion" album, European/Folk/Fantasy/Opera metal would make an amazing FD.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I would love, love, love to see someone skate to "For Lovers" by Wolfman featuring Pete Doherty in an exhibition. Such a beautiful beautiful piece.

Also : Tom McRae's "A Day Like Today" would be lovely as well.

nubka

Final Flight
I would luuuuuv to see Sasha skate to Mendolsohn's Nocturne from A Midsummer Night's dream. I think she could really do it justice.

The Afternoon of a Faun (Debussy) is another gorgeous peice of music. I think Yuko Sato used it at some point. Anyway, it's so lush and in a way, haunting. I would love to see it used again...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For Melissa and Denis (for those who don't know whom I refer to think Gregory & Petukhov lol) I would love to see them skate to "I Won't Dance" by Michael Buble and *brain fart - can't remember her name* It'd be a flirty and fun number for them and I love that type of program for them. They don't get to do those enough. Maybe this season we'll see something along those lines :)

nubka - yes Yuka Sato did use it, and won the World Pro with it... Angela Nikodinov has also used it... as well as Janet Lynn if I'm not mistaken...

Kasey

Medalist
nubka said:
The Afternoon of a Faun (Debussy) is another gorgeous peice of music. I think Yuko Sato used it at some point. Anyway, it's so lush and in a way, haunting. I would love to see it used again...

Ilia Klimkin had a great program to this music! :) Of course, I think Klimkin :rock: anyway!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'd love to see Tanith & Ben skate to "Rock Lobster" by the B-52s.

Didn't Fumie do "Paint It Black" last season or season before? Continuing in that vein, I think she'd do a great job with "Ruby Tuesday".

I've always wanted to see a free dance done to Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit". I'm thinking the Kerrs.

nubka said:
I would luuuuuv to see Sasha skate to Mendolsohn's Nocturne from A Midsummer Night's dream. I think she could really do it justice.
:clap: :clap: :clap: It would also be interesting to see a reprise of Sasha's Mendelssohn violin concerto program. At the time, I thought the music was a little too big for her. I would like to see what she could do with it now.

Here are some more of my dream programs, LOL.

1. Johnny Weir. Kalinikov's first symphony, second movement. (If Kalinikov hadn't died young, no one today would be performing Mahler, LOL.)

2. Jeff Buttle. Hummel trumpet concerto, movements two and three. (Fully the equal of the more famous Haydn trumpet concerto from the same era, IMHO.)

3. Michelle Kwan. The perfect music for a no jump, recovering-from-injury program, because of the continuous flow of the descant, punctuated by the choral crescendos. Bach, Jesu joy of man's desiring (Cantata # 147).

4. Michelle Kwan -- now fully recovered and back in the hunt. :rock: Haydn, string quartet opus 76 no. 4 (first movement) or no. 5 (second movement).

5. Duet for two ladies -- not sure who could do this justice. Mozart, the letter duet (che soave zeffiretto) from the Marriage of Figaro.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
5. Duet for two ladies -- not sure who could do this justice. Mozart, the letter duet (che soave zeffiretto) from the Marriage of Figaro.

Why do I think that Michelle and Irina would be the best for any duet for two ladies? (Ans -- probably because I want them desperately to do one -- and I don't care what music they use)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
In terms of music that could be used in eligible competition, I would love to see some more blues or jazz variations in use, by skaters who do it good! :)

I think this is a great idea too, as far as fitting the eligibility aspect. Which is one thing I personally would like to see change. I am not the most knowledgeable of skaters or fans for that matter. "But the music is so old school." I have seen the rules designating what and speculation on why, but don't see the reason that there is not some form of progress into the 21st century. Maybe the SP could be a "popular song" and leave the LP for the old style. This is so odd to me that the age group of skaters never matches on a larger scale, with what the same age group is listening to.

I hear songs in 4/4 with 60bpm all the time on the popular radio stations. Just today the idea of seeing Yuka skate to "Your Body is a Wonderland" by John Mayer gave me chills:love: Even "Suspicious Mind" is more identifiable than some of these "classics." Sorry, just being blunt.

I have adapted more fans of FS by having them watch a LP with Ben and Tanith to an Enya song. Carolina is getting the biggest "why don't they use this music" when synced to "Send Me One My Way" by Rusted Root .

It really is quite amazing to see people who don't like FS and then they watch it with "new" music and no commentary and sit there for an hour. I know "we" all love watching and some like the commentary, but would it take away from anything to have the sport progress with music, a SP with no commentary? Anyway I have addressed this topic before.

Maybe it is a licensing thing, but would have to say I think the more viewers would increase the revenue making the licensing a moot point.

BOT - More diverse side
Sasha - "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison
Michelle - "Island In The Sun" by Weezer
Dennis and Melissa - "You're Still The One" by Shania Twain
E Pulshinko - "Take the A Train" pref, Duke Ellington (Plushy's wild whipping around of the arms fits that Jazz dance style to me).
Johnny - "Forever In Blue Jeans" by Niel Diamond

Well I wont go on, I really do think that pour song choises, like "Green Acres" with Ben And Tanith was "fun" but stupid due to the music not lending it's self to anything but a gimmick. You want to be silly use something Like Sammy Davis Jr., at least the music fits while it is still presenting a fantastic talent like Sammy! So In short - like I'm evershort :p - Classics and not so much classical would bring the sport to the new "upcoming fans" and hopefully stop the dwindling interest. I would like it more, but I still do like it. I will always love Ave Maria by anyone (prefer Schubert's choral arrangement best though, but you can't have lyrics?) Romeo and Juliet (Tchaikovsky every time for this kid) but a change is nice, a surprise something bigger then Manhattan Steamroller plays some classical piece trying to make it hip. I think it sounds good the way it was to start. And that is enough ranting by Seanibu today.

I really like allot of these suggestions and music selections for everyone, and agree with allot. I guess the intent was looking for new ideas, a way to push the boundaries and bring some attention to FS. But there is nothing"wrong" with loving it the way it is.

I am glad everyone owns these posts so everyone gives their opinion.

Just thoughts, all while smiling in the joy that there are others who are passionate in love for this sport.

Last edited:

Skaterkitty

Spectator
As a musician and skater, skaters' music is a big pet peeve of mine. (May I suggest a 50-year moratorium on any part of Carmen...)Unfortunately, most skaters, even the elites, have no musical background. It seems like whatever the music is, the skater should interpret it. Regrettably, even with overpriced choreographers, most programs come out uninspiring, as if the music is just in the background. Granted, there are exceptions, but the majority of skaters and coaches have no musical clue whatsoever. So we can fantasize about what we think would be fun to see a particular skater skate to, but the reality is that it ain't gonna happen.

Skaterkitty said:
Regrettably, even with overpriced choreographers, most programs come out uninspiring, as if the music is just in the background.

Why do you suppose? I can see coaches and skaters not knowing music, but choreographers?

In general, your view is a little too pessimistic for me! I have to live in hope. Maybe young skaters who grow up reading these boards will realize they gotta do better in the music & choreo departments!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Spun Silver said:
Why do you suppose? I can see coaches and skaters not knowing music, but choreographers?

In general, your view is a little too pessimistic for me! I have to live in hope. Maybe young skaters who grow up reading these boards will realize they gotta do better in the music & choreo departments!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

IMO, Most skaters are not musical. Also, there is the problem of moving those skates around to the beat of the music. It's not easy and few skaters can manage that. Imagine yourself trying to keep to the beat of a Vivaldi piece with those skates? Much easier in ballet slippers.

Except for a very few skaters, dealing with the music as a musical piece is not easy in the early ages. They are basically training for skating tricks and do not train those tricks to the music. Every thing a young ballet dancer trains for is with the music constantly. Young skaters, unfortunately, don't get the music while training except for repititious insignificant background tunes. So when they are faced with a program, they have no clue that their music is important. It's the tricks that count.

Skaters basically need a very pronounced beat that they can follow on their skates. Changes in rhythms should be limited except for the footwork sequences, and for gliding through the spiral sequences. Individual interpretation is really very difficult as is good expression. Skaters tend to utilize the character of the story rather than giving an original interpretation of the music.

Easy music to skate to, imo, would be: Carmen, Don Q., Malaguena, and so many others that you hear every year. Maybe, this is the way figure skating should be.

The above does not apply to the very rare exceptionally musical skaters and by no means the Dance division where musicality is the basis of the contest.

Joe