Fumie Suguri's areas for slight improvement | Golden Skate

Fumie Suguri's areas for slight improvement

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What areas could she work on - IMO NOT MANY need improvement.

Sit spins (only time I see the really good ones is when it is a transition move)
Extensions
no 3 x 3 ?
"Attitude positions" in spins?
Flash that smile of hers more, it is the best in all of Figure Skating.:love:
anyone?

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Fumie's big pluses!

scratch spin
FAST!
triple flip
ability to perform under pressure
ability to draw you into her world
nice hair!

Actually, when I opened this thread, I was expecting to see pictures, like photo shot coming!

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
er, if you open up the other Suguri thread, you'll find I have to strongly disagree with you there...:laugh:

I haven't opened it yet, but that picture was definitely not flattering! I think she usually does have lovely hair.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
"shrot comings?" - I think it's a big deal (sometimes I am a very large moron!), and I should have went with a whole different approach on this.:banging: :banging:

I am attempting to change the title to areas Fumie could improve to win gold every time or something. This was not well thought trough before I posted it.
I spent allot of time on yourtube and was just in awh:love: :love: :love: what wonderful memories. I can't believe I never typed the name Fumie in search, double duh Sean! I thinking if she just would improve "this" a little she would be unbeatable, JMO. So I wanted to see if I was close in thinking such things.

She is the most fun for me to watch - the way she lands is just incredible (like she is landing on clouds and doesn't want to break thru), her emotion is right on in expression - not to much nor to little. I would like to see her smile worked into the choreography, (she has the best one IMO) It is like a happy bomb goes off in her LP at the GP last year (also one of my favorite e outfits:love: ).

Recalling the comment of Dick's, "attitude possession" something in ballet.?? anyone clarify this a little better. I think I get his meaning but there are "ballerinas" on this site that I am sure could do a better job at explaining.

BTW - if you haven't seen them well worth it even thought the resolution is so crappie on the site. There is a 15min clip comparing Shi-chan and Fumie with some really interesting comments if I am translating them correctly that really give most of the praise to Arakawa in a way that (to me and my translation) almost appears demeaning to Suguri - I could be wrong on this, but they seem to be "fairweather fan" to Shizuka. "Always have better strength and consistency." But that has always been my dealing with Nippon conversation - straight forward, blunt and no candy on the sour cherries. There is also a segment of the 2, home movies as little kids, just darling.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Oh, OK! Thanks for the clarification. I was afraid this was intended to bash Fumie.

In that case, if it was up to me, Fumie would work more on her extensions. She does include many elements in her programs that would be more impressive if she could stretch them out more. Especially her spins. She has speed and she showed a lot of improvement from the Olympics to Worlds this year, figured out how to make COP work for her. Dick harps on her layback due to the leg position. I like her dropped leg layback and she maintains good speed through it.

When she does her spiral step, she incorporates positions that could get level 3-4, but doesn't hold some long enough, and again, could stretch them out further. Actually, her spiral step last season was the best she's ever done-the abrasque spiral into COE catch foot was well done, and her back Y-spiral has good stretch, great speed. IMO, speed and edging have always been her greatest strength.

I think overall Fumie's jumps are strong. Sure, she flutzes, but I think she has good technique. She's usually among the top skaters for jumps alone under COP (3rd behind SA and JR at the Olympics and 2nd behind KM at Worlds). I don't think she includes a 3 jump combo...Every little point counts. Like Michelle, Fumie has issues with her loop, but since COP doesn't deduct for not doing a specific triple, Fumie makes up for it with 2 lutzes, 2 flips.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
Oh, OK! Thanks for the clarification. I was afraid this was intended to bash Fumie.

OMG!!!!!! I know there is not anyway to know this but she is my "goddess of the rink," - this is not anything to joke about except between two good friends but some of mine say I should start the SSC (Suguri Stockers Club) TOTALLY IN JEST!!!!!!! Or it is a good thing I don't know where she lives or I would be moving in next door.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wish the Title would change to the thread too. I don't know how to redeem myself!!!??????

Suguri-san Ichi bon!!!!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
When I read "shortcomings" I don't think "bash". If the title said "sucks", on the other hand, I would think differently.

shine

Record Breaker
She has probably the worst extension of all the female skaters I've seen. She always looks awkward on the ice because of her stiffness and lack of stretch. However, she does have some of the best choreography among the ladies.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean, since you asked the question, here is my answer. I think Fumi needs an attitude adjustment. She reminds me of very timid inferior young lady. Whenever she gets her marks she always has this look like .........oh well, I don't deserve much more. It just irks me. I may be the only person who gets that vibe from her but it's my opinion of Fumi.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
maybe you'd like someone like Irina then. :laugh: :biggrin:

J/K!!

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Sean, since you asked the question, here is my answer. I think Fumi needs an attitude adjustment. She reminds me of very timid inferior young lady. Whenever she gets her marks she always has this look like .........oh well, I don't deserve much more. It just irks me. I may be the only person who gets that vibe from her but it's my opinion of Fumi.

Dee

Dee, you have a good point... she seems to lack that hardcore internal fire thing... not sure how that works since she's definately a clutch skater, but she always seems on the verge of tears... but here's the funny part, I've read from other sources that she's quite tough in real life... I don't understand it...

R.D.

Record Breaker
IMO

Just because she doesn't show it doesn't mean it's not in her. I thought she said something like she wanted to be Japan's oldest champion (or something to that effect) when she announced that she would be staying in longer? Doesn't sound like someone willing to "settle for less" to me.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kwanford Wife said:
Dee, you have a good point... she seems to lack that hardcore internal fire thing... not sure how that works since she's definately a clutch skater, but she always seems on the verge of tears... but here's the funny part, I've read from other sources that she's quite tough in real life... I don't understand it...
KW, I think sometimes people who are strong put that "poor me" act on. As I said before, it's just my opinion.

Dee

Last edited:
seanibu said:
Recalling the comment of Dick's, "attitude possession" something in ballet.?? anyone clarify this a little better.
Dick is talking about the "attitute position" in her layback spin. This refers to the raised position of the free leg.

Angela Nikodinov had a great layback in attitude position. Here is Angela's layback (augmented by an interesting arm position as well.)

http://www.balletsecretsforskaters.com/images-famous/spin.jpg

Here is Michelle early in her career.

http://www.catslair.com/skating/2000/nationals/pics/mksp05.jpg

However, Michelle was criticised for lack of speed in her layback (and spins generally). Also, Michelle's back is not as flexible as other skaters'. So she experimented around with different positions. Here she is with a lowered leg position (not the classical "attitude position"). Note the greater arch in her back that she achieves by sacrificing the superior leg position.

http://www.skateygirl.com/worlds2001/exhibition/kwan/r84n7.jpg

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Now about Fumie's "attitude" and personality, LOL, Dee and Kwanford are all wet.

Just because someone is not in your face beating on her chest about how great she is, that doesn't mean she doesn't have the eye of the tiger.

http://media.phillyburbs.com/2005/12/25/JAPAN_FIGURE_SKATING0.jpg

MM :)

MM you rock! I completely agree. A lot of times before the tiger pounces they look like the are just not interested or a little coy. I don't think Fumie ever puts a "poor me act" on - ever! It maybe a slightly bias interpretation of the way she focuses.

One great thing about her that I do notice is the great control and constancy of speed. The best IMO.

MKFSfan

Medalist
seanibu said:
OMG!!!!!! I know there is not anyway to know this but she is my "goddess of the rink," - this is not anything to joke about except between two good friends but some of mine say I should start the SSC (Suguri Stockers Club) TOTALLY IN JEST!!!!!!! Or it is a good thing I don't know where she lives or I would be moving in next door.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wish the Title would change to the thread too. I don't know how to redeem myself!!!??????

Suguri-san Ichi bon!!!!!!

I thought you were a major Fumie fan, which is why I was so confused!!!