Fumie Suguri's areas for slight improvement | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Fumie Suguri's areas for slight improvement

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Wonder how she would like it if someone called her that Jewish (or whatever skater?) Sorry, guess I am just sarcastic today. :biggrin:

Red Dog said:
Her "hiding Sasha's tights" wasn't enough to place her above Cohen. :biggrin:
True. Ya gotta admit it she just missed the podium but she made up for it a couple of weeks later with a silver in Calgary. Cohen has to be happy with her short programs which she is quite familiar with. They keep from just missing 'off the podium'.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I wasn't even aware that she said that. And I'm more than sure it's not just Sasha fans; it's most skating fans. Many probably aren't even aware that this little "dilemma" happened

She's said it a few times, actually, in her biography and in interviews. I think even on Leno??? I forget. Maybe she just figures we don't know who Fumie is, or maybe she can't pronounce her name! Hey, for the longest time, I thought it was "Fu-me" and I thought Sasha was "SA-sha", so it's possible!

R.D.

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
She's said it a few times, actually, in her biography and in interviews. I think even on Leno??? I forget. Maybe she just figures we don't know who Fumie is, or maybe she can't pronounce her name! Hey, for the longest time, I thought it was "Fu-me" and I thought Sasha was "SA-sha", so it's possible!

Well I haven't read her biography (don't intend to) and I don't remember everything she says in interviews. I think the pronounciations of the above are right (?)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
True. Ya gotta admit it she just missed the podium but she made up for it a couple of weeks later with a silver in Calgary. Cohen has to be happy with her short programs which she is quite familiar with. They keep from just missing 'off the podium'.

Joe

Yeah. Good for Suguri for pulling up to 2nd at worlds. I thought she would win, actually, but you-know-who came and surprised just about everyone.

Cohen- doesn't look too happy to me :laugh: I think she wants that perfect performance and won't be truly happy until she gets it. Of course in the meantime more fake smiles and pretending on the podium (if she makes it).

Vash01 said:
She needs more difficult transitions to get more points under the COP. She also needs better choreography that expresses the music better. IMO the lack of this hurt her in the recent Olympics.
Looking at the protocols, you nailed it.

Transitions: Arakawa 7.39, Cohen 7.51, Slutskaya 7.39, Suguri 7.14

Choreography: Arakawa 7.71, Cohen 7.75, Slutskaya 7.71, Suguri 7.43

So she gave away about 0.6 points in these two areas.

This is strange to me because her choreographer, Lori Nichol, is a master at matching the program to the music. And Fumie has a rare combination of strong basic stroking skills and fluid upper body motion that should allow her to excel in these components, IMHO.

MM :)

krenseby

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
Better connection with the audience. She is expressive but she needs to direct this more to the outside. She skates within herself a lot, which is not a bad thing at all, but it probably hurts her artistic scores a bit.
.Vash

I think this is the most important suggestion. It's harder to get into her programs; she definitely does need to connect better with the audience.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
krenseby said:
I think this is the most important suggestion. It's harder to get into her programs; she definitely does need to connect better with the audience.

I am really glad I asked this, I am realizing what a "sappasauris" I am when she hits the ice. I am sucked in like no one else I guess. I heard Dick say it too, and I just don't understand. There was a routine she did with a red ball, was an attempt at this i 'spose, but all she really did is tease some lady and then rolled to ball off stage. I thought she might be going for the"something I want to give away but can't" angle, but then she rolled it off ice. I really was left wondering on that. I guess I am even more now with this similar comment coming from other posters. I was thinking everyone else got the "prop use" but me, so I just never said anything. It seems like her attempt at getting others involved failed there too.

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Well I haven't read her biography (don't intend to) and I don't remember everything she says in interviews. I think the pronounciations of the above are right (?)

Not saying you are a "Sasha fan" or not and recall her every word, or even should know! Just that many of her own fans don't even know since she hasn't acknowledge Fumie as "the Japanese skater".

I think Fumie is actually "Fue-me-aa" or something...like that...and Sasha says her name "Saw-shaw"! I don't know...

seanibu said:
I was thinking everyone else got the "prop use" but me, so I just never said anything. It seems like her attempt at getting others involved failed there too.
As a fellow Fumie Sappasaurus, I totally got the ball thing when I saw the performance live at COI (but not so much on TV). I thought the giving-but-withholding thing was quite poignant, in fact. :love:

On the 2004 tour she had an exhibition routine using a fan as a prop that was also very charming, in the same way.

Last edited:
I believe (and you know I would) that the international judges are extremely familiar with the top 15 skaters, and have a preconceived idea of who are the podium finishers. When you have an Arakawa; a Slutskaya and a Cohen in the mix, a Suguri or a Kostner or a Rochette are just in a minor battle for 'just off the podium'.

In Worlds, Suguri was in the top 3 mix along with Cohen and Nakano. Rochette would have been an expected spoiler for those 3 but it didn't happen. What did happen was the other American girl with two 3x3s Had Suguri skated with no boo boos, she would have won, imo but the judges could not overlook the clean routine of Meissner.

There's a lot of 6.0 prevailing in the CoP. imo.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
Cohen- doesn't look too happy to me :laugh: I think she wants that perfect performance and won't be truly happy until she gets it. Of course in the meantime more fake smiles and pretending on the podium (if she makes it).
Leave the poor girl alone. You're like a dog with a bone!!!

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
As a fellow Fumie Sappasaurus, I totally got the ball thing when I saw the performance live at COI (but not so much on TV). I thought the giving-but-withholding thing was quite poignant, in fact. :love:

On the 2004 tour she had an exhibition routine using a fan as a prop that was also very charming, in the same way.

Ball thing, what was your take on it being as you are sure you "got it" - not being sarcastic. MT, I could give all of this away to one, but the choice to share with all gives reward. I would like to now if what I thought was the same. I just think the one improvement would have been to have the ball at the end of the program - setting it at the judges area would have made a point to me at least. That took some of the ambiance away to "open the exit" so to speak, detracted from the ice. I thought that was a good connection yet many are saying she lacks in this area.

A thought from me again, a boom with a basket that she could place it it and skate away, black to disappear when the light was off it. I could have made it for $30, telescoping boom could be used for travel maybe 40-50 bucks. JAT

Not that any of that matters to her scoring, so where does she "go" from hear to get those back - Trans & Chor - and if she cant put in a 3x3 is she making up for it with more 3x2x2 and 3x2 or just taking a bigger risk?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
I think Fumie is actually "Fue-me-aa" or something...like that...and Sasha says her name "Saw-shaw"! I don't know...

That is true, one thing to take into consideration when reading a name that has been translated from an Japanese character set, is that the letters are being used because they make a sound - particularly true with Nihongo / Japanese, not so with something like Korean - so the hardest part is knowing what sound has been associated with what letter -
http://www.learn-japanese.info/pronunciation.html
- so "fu me a"; long vowel sounds on all and soft "a" sound such as Karat"e" or sak"e."

In actuality it is a lot easier then english because it is constant and frenetical to sound and spelling one you learn the letter with the sound.

Something interesting about her name is that it is the same name (possibly on purposes) as some Christian script that were destroyed in Japan. Don't know if that is all it means or why they named her that. But translates straight out as Chapter Village Branch or something.

Anyway I am not "great" with Nihongo, but do know a little and really just conversational. But what I have stated above I am sure of as I can be. Also I have never had any Japanese person be "snooty" like the F****h have been to me with snickers and judgment, when trying. Have all experiences as genuinely appreciative that I or anyone else ever try. Even with my horrible spelling, they have all had ease in understanding me and IMO the most polite culture.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker

R.D.

Record Breaker
oh, come on. I don't have very many pictures of her. I need more...

(but I think I need more Miki Ando though)