Japan Open | Golden Skate

Japan Open

Asada rules at Japan Open

According to play-by-play from Minam at FSU

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38986&page=1

Mao Asada hit six triples including a triple Axel in an outstanding program. Mao received 120.72 points, a personal best, in leading Team Japan (Asada, Ando, Takehashi and Honda) to victory over Team North America (Rochette, Czisny, Buttle and Sandhu) and Team Europe (Meier, Korpi, Yagudin and Lambiel).

Bill508

Rinkside
Folder looks like its empty but I understand Japan won and that Mao brought the house down with a flawless preformance (watch out Kimmie) and Miki Ando seemed to be back in good form with her jumps. Shizuka did some commentary and interviewed Mao & Miki. Vancouver is Japanese.

Oh, sorry, Bill. I didn't know whether this should count as the last event of last year or the first event of next year, so I wasn't sure which of the two folders to put it in.

Actually, since this will not be shown on American TV, and has already been shown in Japan, we don't have to worry about spoilers. So I think I will merge the two threads and put it in the Edge.

MM :)

Last edited:
Lambiel with a Quad Loop !!!!

Even with the hand down, it's better than attempted and fallen quad toe or a two footed quad toe..

Stephane will NOT go easily into the night. He will have a Quad Lutz in his future.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Can anyone read Japanese? Here is the figure skating page from the Japanese Skating Federation site.

I couldn't find anything questioning / clarifying "Stephane quadruple loop," if that is what you were even asking.

I am sure you have more knowledge on what to look for if you knew what each link was. I think even Hiragana is hard to read let alone when they throw in Kanji and Katakana - takes me for ever - so I just translate web pages, everything more then a couple of characters, and only if they look familiar. I go via World lingo at http://www.worldlingo.com/en/websites/url_translator.html .

What can I expect? I was a product of the "lackey" American education system, and my 80s were like the 60s generation that bore me. I am also going to get an MRI soon if the headaches keep coming back from a fall. So it might have been right there in my face and I couldn't see what you were asking to answer, but I tried. Sorry:frown:

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Lambiel with a Quad Loop !!!!

Even with the hand down, it's better than attempted and fallen quad toe or a two footed quad toe..

Stephane will NOT go easily into the night. He will have a Quad Lutz in his future.

Joe

:eek:

Lambiel with a quad loop?? That really does surprise me because after the triple axel, the triple loop is his weakest triple. Is it a mis-reporting and shoudl it have been reported as a qaud toe loop?

Ant

antmanb said:
:eek:

Lambiel with a quad loop?? That really does surprise me because after the triple axel, the triple loop is his weakest triple. Is it a mis-reporting and shoudl it have been reported as a qaud toe loop?

Ant
The more I think about it, the more I think it is a misprint. If he had been working on it why would he unveil it here? The report needs a bit of clarification.

Joe

floskate

On the Ice
Guys Lambiel only did a quad toeloop and not a great one at that. It's just a typo probably. No need to get too excited ;)

Thanks for the effort and the translating tip, Sean.

Okami, thanks for posting the detailed scores. It must have been one of Mao's best skates ever. Kimmie's 7 triple program at worlds got her 129 points, possibly with component scores inflated a bit. Next season will be pretty exciting if everyone brings her A game.

Mao looks quite a bit taller in recent pictures. If she has had a growth spurt, it doesn't seem to be affecting her jumps.

MM :)

Okami

On the Ice
Mao's performance turned me into a fan of hers. She looks much more mature. The growth spurt seemed to affect her jumps - but in a very positive way. They seem higher and cleaner. Her consistency is Plushenko-like.
All in all, it was a wonderful performance. It was great to see the Team Japan cheer for her when she finished her performance - Daisuke jumped onto a chair out of joy!

But not only Mao's performance was great to watch. Everyone seemed to have fun and it really showed in the way they performed.

I think it was a great idea to organize a competition that included pros (Yagudin, Honda) as well. I would certainly love to see more of such competitions in the future.

curious

Final Flight
Mao is great but is way too early to compare her consistency with Plushy's. She needs a couple of great seasons and big titles(Worlds,GPF's etc) to get there.:biggrin:

Lambiel was scored only a fraction of a point ahead of Takahashi.

The two "pros," Yagudin and Honda, were both more than 20 points behind the leaders. Yagudin did not attempt a quad or a triple Axel or even a triple Lutz, although he did manage 5 triples overall, two in combination (3fl+3t).

I guess that's why they don't want pros to compete with the eligibles under CoP judging.

One remarkable thing about the scores is that Miki Ando and Sarah Meier ended up exactly tied, down to a hundreth of a point.

Meier: 49.68 (TES) + 54.88 (PCS) = 104.56

Ando: 51.64 (TES) + 53.93 (PCS) = 104.56