Lysacek to take over as leader of U.S mens skating over Weir fully, for good next yr. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lysacek to take over as leader of U.S mens skating over Weir fully, for good next yr.

kareliz

Rinkside
I am really looking forward to seeing Johnny and Evan compete over the next four years. Along with Jeff Buttle, they are my favorite men skating right now. I like them both and hope to see them develop more.

Johnny needs to balance his beautiful lyrical skating with some moments of power, quickness and strength. I think his jumps are magnificent. They are high, fully rotated, landed beautifully, and he can hold his landing edge longer than anyone, with a great position. I agree that he should do whatever therapy/training needed for his back. I also think his upper body looks a bit underdeveloped. My understanding is that upper body strentgth is needed for the fast rotations of the quad. So maybe he could strengthen his arms and shoulders a bit. Beyond that, he just needs the right music and he is a complete and fantastic skater.

Evan is a born performer. His jumps could be more reliable, but he was really on when I saw him in COI. He needs finesse - stretch, awareness of his fingertips, smoothness to match his energy. That over used term - maturity - is what I would like to see. Sometimes he still seems a bit wild and uncontrolled. But his energy is wonderful, and he could just contain and direct it a little more.

Two terrific skaters who will help push and challenge each other. Should be great to see. And I agree - a reliable quad will be crucial to either of them reliably landing on the podium.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
The CoP workds in mysterious ways. It is not for us to question but just to accept.

Joe

What like 6.0 in SLC???

Of course its for us to question - if something looks fishy we must point it out otherwise innept or corrupt judging goes by without mention and they think they can get away with it!!!

Ant

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
debdelilah said:
Well, we'll just take things one year at a time as usual. :)
Next season, I can see both Evan and Johnny continuing to get stronger. I don't think either one of them has peaked.
Do you think a good rivalry might encourage Johnny to up the ante to beat Evan? It worked for Alexei and Evgeni. I just wish Johnny would just totally concentrate on his skating.

Dee

kareliz

Rinkside
A good rivalry is in the making, and yes, it will benefit both Johnny and Evan. I think a "good" rivalry is one in which the skaters are fairly well matched in skill level, yet different enough to have their own style and look. Either could win on any given night. I also think it is important that they hold each other in respect and even feel friendly toward each other if possible. I think all the ingredients are there.

By contrast, the Yags/Plushy rivalry was always painted as adversarial, even angry, and it did not engage me because of that negativity.

PS Thanks, Mathman! I don't post that often, but I do like writing, so thanks!!!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
kareliz said:
A good rivalry is in the making, and yes, it will benefit both Johnny and Evan. I think a "good" rivalry is one in which the skaters are fairly well matched in skill level, yet different enough to have their own style and look. Either could win on any given night. I also think it is important that they hold each other in respect and even feel friendly toward each other if possible. I think all the ingredients are there.

By contrast, the Yags/Plushy rivalry was always painted as adversarial, even angry, and it did not engage me because of that negativity.

PS Thanks, Mathman! I don't post that often, but I do like writing, so thanks!!!

I sometimes wonder if Yags/Plushy didn't increase the negativity for publicity purposes. I hope, though, that Johnny/Evan becomes more of a Kwan/Slutskaya type rather than a Yags/Plushy type. They both have better things to do than waste their energy hating the other.

antmanb

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I sometimes wonder if Yags/Plushy didn't increase the negativity for publicity purposes. I hope, though, that Johnny/Evan becomes more of a Kwan/Slutskaya type rather than a Yags/Plushy type. They both have better things to do than waste their energy hating the other.

I thought Johnny had already very openly praised Lysacek for his skating and was "rooting" for him at worlds...i think that looks like its going to be a friendly rivalry.

Ant

What's funny to me about this thread is that it is the third thread that we have had recently on this topic -- the USFS is ready to promote Lysacek over Weir as the number one guy.

The first centered around the fact that Evan's picture and not Johnny's was featured on the U.S. Nationals site, and the second was a response to a couple of web articles that accused USFS of wanting to push Johnny aside and go with a more butch image.

Both of these threads were pretty much pooh-poohed and ignored.

But here is a real thread about the same topic, and it has gone to four pages already.

I guess Slutskayafan has greater credibility that the web journalists, LOL.

MM :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
attyfan said:
I sometimes wonder if Yags/Plushy didn't increase the negativity for publicity purposes.
I think it was more real than not. I think it was based more on Mishin than the skaters involved. I think Mishin knew how to push Alexei's button and did.

Dee

jesslily

Final Flight
I think for the past year or two Lysacek already showed how serious and determined he is about his skating career and down to each competition. He had never went on the ice just fell on one jump and left the ice. He has injuries, but he never used them as excuses. USFSA sure did and will continuely promote Lysacek over Weir.

I'm not worried about the rivalry and it is a fact that both skaters have not been at their best for competitions. That is, neither has demonstrated 2-3 good routines in any given competition.

The question to ask is who between the two will emerge as the consistent skater?

JOe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
MM I think it had more to do with teh fact that a lot of people were too busy being stuck on the stupid things that Johnny had been quoted as saying over the last few months that they didn't really care about nationals

now we're in teh off season looking to the new season and more people can stay on the topic now... ;)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
What's funny to me about this thread is that it is the third thread that we have had recently on this topic -- the USFS is ready to promote Lysacek over Weir as the number one guy.

The first centered around the fact that Evan's picture and not Johnny's was featured on the U.S. Nationals site, and the second was a response to a couple of web articles that accused USFS of wanting to push Johnny aside and go with a more butch image.

Both of these threads were pretty much pooh-poohed and ignored.

But here is a real thread about the same topic, and it has gone to four pages already.

I guess Slutskayafan has greater credibility that the web journalists, LOL.

MM :)

You'd better believe I do. :biggrin:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Evan will win the National title this year, just as Kimmie will win the title. They have building momentum - Bronze in 05, Silver in 06, the highest placements of the Americans at Worlds this year...the judges like to see these kinds of trends continue. I don't think Johnny or Sasha are going to raise their jumping games next year. Evan is going to have the Quad and Kimmie is going to have the 3Axle.

Zuranthium said:
Evan will win the National title this year, just as Kimmie will win the title. They have building momentum - Bronze in 05, Silver in 06, the highest placements of the Americans at Worlds this year...the judges like to see these kinds of trends continue. I don't think Johnny or Sasha are going to raise their jumping games next year. Evan is going to have the Quad and Kimmie is going to have the 3Axle.
Not that I am an overzealous fan of either Evan or Kimmie, your take on their future seems to me to be most plausible. They both seem focused to me.

Johnny, although more talented, skates to a different drummer, and his head is not always there for competition.

Sasha, has been on a roll since Campbells, 2004, but the mishaps don't go away. I don't see her as maintaining her peak which I believe she is at (except for SPs and Exhibitions}.

For the future, I see both Johnny and Sasha as saying "Figure Skating! This is your last chance." JMO

Joe

debdelilah

On the Ice
Zuranthium said:
I don't think Johnny or Sasha are going to raise their jumping games next year. Evan is going to have the Quad and Kimmie is going to have the 3Axle.

I don't think Johnny will leave out the quad this coming season. He did it in Calgary at Worlds, twice, better in the free skate than in qualifying. He wasn't feeling well(back problems, depression), and still decided to do it, so I think he's overcome that barrier.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If I had to wager a guess right now on jump content for Weir and Lysacek next year I would guess both attempting 1 quad in the long, and 0 in the short, so it will probably be similar. Lysacek`s programs are very COP friendly, his coach seems to do a really god job studying the system and coming up with the ways to maximize jump values, spin levels, etc.....Weir is the total opposite, and he is such a free spirit he does his programs on the fly which does nothing to maximum technical values.