Yu Na, Mao, Kimmie and who else? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yu Na, Mao, Kimmie and who else?

Joannie has given just enough outstanding performances to keep herself on the radar. At Canadian nationals in 2005 she gave a brilliant LP to Firebird. In fact, it was the highest ranked ladies LP of the year, CoP-wise.

Granted, scores are inflated by national judging panels. Still, she did two triple triples and skated lights out.

So everyone was projecting her for taking a serious shot at the worlds podium that year. But she didn't skate well at worlds.

Again in 2006 she scored well at Canadian nationals (195.83 points!). At the Olympics she did pretty well in the LP (landing a cool 2A+3S combination) to finish a solid fifth.

When she holds it all together and does everything she is capable of doing, she does not have any real weaknesses in her skating, either technically or in the presentation department. She is not an angel-floating-on-a-cloud type, but IMHO she has fine musical interpretation.

Who knows? This could be her year.

MM :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Joannie's musical selections this year weren't helpful. She has said she had an emotional connection to her FS music and that may actually have worked against her in some way.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I am a Canadian and I honestly see Joannie being stuck in the 5-8 range her whole career. She is a very good skater but doesnt have the intangible spark nor the mental toughness to seize her opportunities to be a real player.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with the above. I think you either have it or you don't. And Joannie's been around long enough for me to conclude that she doesn't have it. Doesn't mean the "performance of her life" isn't behind her, though, unless one considers it to be the one at Canadian nationals (was it 05? I forgot).

Vash01

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
I am a Canadian and I honestly see Joannie being stuck in the 5-8 range her whole career. She is a very good skater but doesnt have the intangible spark nor the mental toughness to seize her opportunities to be a real player.

In 2002-2003 we might have said the same about Shiuka Arakawa. However, look at her accomplishments since worlds 2004. This was rather late in her career (age 22 to 24). Joannie is younger, and has time on her side.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
This is now officially the Joannie Rochette thread. And this is without her name even being in the thread title :cool:

Anyway, she'll be fine. So will everyone else.

I think traditionally there is always someone who seems to rise suddenly and then hit the top with an exclamation point (think Kimmie as the most recent example). So every time there is a skater that shows some promise, she gets slapped with this label "The Next Big One?" That's a pretty big burden to carry when you haven't even proven yourself. Just ask Czisny.

And exactly what is "Big"? Winning? Medalling? Top 10? I don't think Joannie's results are half-bad when you look at the big picture. Of course, if all one thinks about is medals, it could be very disappointing. Or in the case of someone like Cohen, if one thinks about just Gold her career could be disappointing but otherwise it's pretty respectable.

Red Dog said:
And exactly what is "Big"? Winning? Medalling? Top 10? I don't think Joannie's results are half-bad when you look at the big picture. Of course, if all one thinks about is medals, it could be very disappointing. Or in the case of someone like Cohen, if one thinks about just Gold her career could be disappointing but otherwise it's pretty respectable.
RD - You seem to be thinking, congratulations. We know how you feel about Sasha and what you said was splendid. I concur totally.

Now, can you say that Kwan's 5 gold Worlds are respectable? I know that would be difficult for you to say something positive, but give it a try. It will enhance your being a fan of Ladies figure skating.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:

Joannie's results are not bad at all, but they are disappointing to Canadian fans because they seem to be following the Chouinard / Robinson pattern, getting close to medal contention but not quite making it. Expectations for a Ladies medal were high after Joannie medaled in the 2004-2005 JGPF, then skated spectacularly at 2005 Canadian Nationals. Again, after her 5th place at Torino, she seemed to be a shoo-in for a medal in Calgary, with two of the 3 Olympic medalists out of the picture. It's just that hopes were SO high for the past two Worlds, and the end results were so far below expectations.

Oh, and Joe, Kwan not only has 5 World gold medals, but she also has 3 World silver medals and one World bronze medal, and two Olympic medals as well. Kwan won her first World medal, a gold, on her 3rd try, at age 15.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think there are two worries about Rochette's results to date: when she had a chance to win Canadian Nationals for the first time, she had a weak skate, and Cynthia Pfaneuf took the title. In Calgary after her finish at Torino, after Arakawa and Slutskaya opted not to skate, she was poised for a first podium finish. The fear is that she is not mentally strong under pressure.

I think there are many similarities between Rochette and Arakawa -- particularly in that the quality of their skating was not reflected in their placements, and it was only a matter of time for Arakawa before the cream rose to the top -- but unless Mira Leung becomes dominant, I think the media pressure will fall on Rochette's shoulders, and unlike Arakawa, she won't be expected to carry the weight of a nation's expectations going into an Olympics on home soil. (Which is why I'm hoping Leung gets a coach who will clean up her technique and make her more competitive...)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can see the view that many Canadians have- it's not unlike the media pressure that is on many US skaters. I remember in 02 MK was under immense pressure to win the OGM in her home country but as we all know that didn't happen. But if you overlook the OGM/lack of one her other results are impressive and will more than likely get her in the Hall of Fame beside the greats.

I say give her (Rochette) time. But I must say that assuming she goes onto 2010, it can't get much worse than being a top contender in the Olympics in your home town. Carolina Kostner is the latest victim of this bug (i.e. it did her in).

R.D.

Record Breaker
you mean you actually saw the original post?? :eek:

But yes, I removed it for good reason. Let's leave it at that ;)

Back on topic (or at least the "topic" that's being discussed right now), I will be bold and say I really see no major Championship in Joannie's career. (Now watch her win Worlds or something in 2008.)

And I only hope Kimmie didn't peak too soon. I think she's got quite a bit of potential (here we go again, with "potential"...I really should be saying I have a hope that she'll be great. At least for a couple of years, because I get tired of one team/athlete constantly winning). Note that this does not translate into fandom "of her".

Also, speaking of Kimmie I was riding around Bel Air last weekend and saw Kimmie Way (but we didn't drive on it).

Last edited: