What I am looking forward to at the 2007 Worlds! | Golden Skate

What I am looking forward to at the 2007 Worlds!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I look forward to Lambiel defending his World title, Meissner losing her World title, Pang/Tong defeating the Zhangs for a second straight Worlds, and Belbin/Agosto winning their first World title.

I'm looking for great consistent skating from all contestants and that the judging is on the up and up and whoever wins is ok for me regardless of the silly nationality passion.

Joe

Big Deal

Final Flight
I'm agree with Slutskayafan, except about Belbin/Agosto.
The title will possibly win by Dubreuil/Lauzon , Denkova/Stav in the 2nd place.
Belbin/Agosto's maximum theoretically will be 2nd, but most possibly 3rd.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
bigdeal said:
I'm agree with Slutskayafan, except about Belbin/Agosto.
The title will possibly win by Dubreuil/Lauzon , Denkova/Stav in the 2nd place.
Belbin/Agosto's maximum theoretically will be 2nd, but most possibly 3rd.

Are teams like Dubreuil/Lauzon, Denkova/Stavinski, Delobel/Schoenfelder, or Drobiazko/Vanagas even staying in the game for next season or beyond?

My guess was that only Delobel/Schoenfelder of that group would be back next year.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
So Kostner will get herself back on track? Personaly I think the 2005 Worlds will be her career highlight forever, along with her Euro medal this past year.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Yes, both of Denkova/Staviyski and Debruel/Lauzon announced keeping their eligible status up at the next season.
Denkova/Stav, because Sofia wants to held an Olympic Games, and they became a sort of Ambassadors of that event, and the Canadians has a feeling they have a chance to get the World Title before going pro ( I think, this chance is huge).
It is a bad news to Delobel/Schönfelder, because they lost their time to "arrive" before Domnina/Shabalin.... Don't forget that, the Russian block needs to award a honorary gold to Belbin/Agosto to kill all the real competitors of the Russian pair before and during the Olympic Games...It all will happen before 2007.

I hope they do not use another Latin Original Dance. They are all so bad

I think D&L and Dav/Stav will be battling it out for gold.

I hope Dom/Sha don't even place. Quite boring for me.

Tired of B&A. Same routines/different music.

Hopefully, there will be new blood this coming season that will crack that podium.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
I hope they do not use another Latin Original Dance. They are all so bad

I think D&L and Dav/Stav will be battling it out for gold.

I hope Dom/Sha don't even place. Quite boring for me.

Tired of B&A. Same routines/different music.

Hopefully, there will be new blood this coming season that will crack that podium.

Joe

I agree with you on all of that. Belbin/Agosto I liked more when they first came on the scene, they have grown a bit stale on me too. I think alot of that is their Russian coach who goes with the same look for his teams every time which does not do justice to the talent of his teams. I also agree on Domnina/
Shabalin if they stay together, I find them tedious and drab.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
bigdeal said:
Yes, both of Denkova/Staviyski and Debruel/Lauzon announced keeping their eligible status up at the next season.
Denkova/Stav, because Sofia wants to held an Olympic Games, and they became a sort of Ambassadors of that event, and the Canadians has a feeling they have a chance to get the World Title before going pro ( I think, this chance is huge).
It is a bad news to Delobel/Schönfelder, because they lost their time to "arrive" before Domnina/Shabalin.... Don't forget that, the Russian block needs to award a honorary gold to Belbin/Agosto to kill all the real competitors of the Russian pair before and during the Olympic Games...It all will happen before 2007.

Thanks. Interesting theories but all quite possable in the World of ice dance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
slutskayafan21 said:
I look forward to Lambiel defending his World title, Meissner losing her World title, Pang/Tong defeating the Zhangs for a second straight Worlds, and Belbin/Agosto winning their first World title.

I don't look forward to anyone LOSING a World title. I think that is the worst kind of karma.

I am not sure that Denkova/Staviiski are going to compete at Worlds 2007. They haven't definitely said they are or are not. And neither Den/Sta or Dubreuil/Lauzon are assured of a placement on the World podium, any more than Belbin/Agosto are. Ice Dancing judges are fickle.

The OD for next season is the tango. Sorry, Joesitz.

Last edited:
That's ok, Chuckum, the Tango has an interesting history which I won't go into right now. It comes from the Spanish Bolero, if I remember correctly which went to Paris and became the Tango, then refined in Italy and all those Italian immigrants to Argentina made it their national dance. It's more European dance than a Cuban or Brazilian dance. If you've ever been to Buenos Aires, you will see it is completely a European city-nothing at all like the rest of Latin America.

Joe

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Obviously- and it's quite useless to say that- all of us Carolina's fans and Italians in general are looking forward for another World medal..I really think that if she learns to handle the pressure (which is quite difficult actually) she can do it and she has a real chance.
Anyways I don't know if Cohen will finally get her gold medal (I hope so) but I don't think Meissner will be world champion again, unless whe develops her artistic style.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could understand Carolina's extreme nervousness skating at home, and felt bad for her performances in Torino. But I did not understand why she did not skate better in Calgary. She skated so well at Europeans, and similar performances would have placed her in the top 5, but instead she skated even more poorly than she did in Torino, and finished well out of the top 10.

I hope she can snap out of whatever funk she is in and skate the performances she's shown she is capable of. However, her 2005 Worlds performances won't earn her a place on the 2007 podium, not with Asada, Kim and Meissner landing 3As and 3/3s consistently. Carolina will have to up her game considerably to be competitive.

Personally, I've never gotten on the Carolina bandwagon. Breaking it all down, I admit, she is probably the fastest skater today for the first 2.5 minutes but then it slows down. She has the air rotations for triples and maybe a quad, but does she execute them properaly 7 out of 10 times? I don't think so. Her spins are more than adequate but nothing special, footwork is not her strongest element.

Maybe, when the nerves are controlled, I will see what others see.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As noted on other boards, Carolina is very tall for a skater, and her height combined with her speed makes her jumps very inconsistent. She is just too tall and too fast, and a slight lean on the takeoff dooms the jump to failure. Add to that her shaky competition nerves, and you get results like Torino and Calgary.

I think it could be that physics are involved. We noticed years ago, tht the best Men freeskaters were no taller than 5'9" and Ladies had a tough time when over 5'5". I'm just saying jump wise.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jennifer Robinson was 5'7", but her biggest problem was lack of speed rather than jumps. Emily Hughes is 5'6" and tends to overpower her jumps, causing iffy landings. Shizuka Arakawa is a little over 5'5" and did have jump problems from time to time, but she did win a World Championship and an OGM.

euterpe

Medalist
chuckm said:
I don't look forward to anyone LOSING a World title. I think that is the worst kind of karma.

I am not sure that Denkova/Staviiski are going to compete at Worlds 2007. They haven't definitely said they are or are not. And neither Den/Sta or Dubreuil/Lauzon are assured of a placement on the World podium, any more than Belbin/Agosto are. Ice Dancing judges are fickle.

The OD for next season is the tango. Sorry, Joesitz.

I also thought it was extremely tacky to hope for Meissner losing her World title. I, for one, would love to see her successfully defend it. I'd also dearly love to see Johnny Weir prove all his detractors wrong by standing on top of the World podium with 3 clean skates with quads.

About the ice dancers: apparently Dubreuil/Lauzon are now saying they'll be staying in through to Vancouver Olympics (they will be 35 and 34). I wonder if that will still be the case if, given quirky ice dance judging, they finish off the podium in 2007. That happened to Denkova/Staviiski: they won silver in 2004 but were 5th in 2005.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
chuckm said:
Ice Dancing judges are fickle.

Actually I find that comment a bit interesting. I have always found of all 4 events ice dancing judges over the years have been the most predictable of all. Look at how many times podiums stayed very close to the same for an entire quadrennial. For many years it seemed once you were established somewhere among the upper ranks(eg-top 5 or 6), it took an injury layoff to change who you were over and under by more then 1 team per 2 years. Under the new COP ice dancing is only starting to catch up to the other 4 events as far as judges allowing some competiveness, and an element of uncertainty.