(More) Kwan Gossip: may go to college in Denver | Golden Skate

(More) Kwan Gossip: may go to college in Denver

"She is one of the nicest, nicest, nicest people ever....She is totally nice beyond a normal person."

So true, so true. :clap: :clap: :clap: :agree:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I would think that Michelle would always be concerned about the men she meets -- "is it me or is it my money?" With Christian Anschutz (son of mega-mogul Philip Anschutz), she doesn't have to worry. Glad to hear that she is planning on completing her education.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Mathman said:
To me, this says that we won't be seeing her in competition this fall.

If she enrolls, then I agree. If she couldn't balance the two in 1999, I doubt she'd attempt a comeback and COP while attending college.

BUT she may just be visiting, keeping her options open until she decides if she CAN compete! That's what I'm thinking anyway!

Regardless, good for Michelle if she goes back to school!!! :love:

Red Dog said:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_4725260,00.html

Hmm...what does one make of this? Not sure whether to believe it or not (since it's not "official") but I suppose the Kwanfans want any news they can get on her, lol.

Actually, seems like someone on the MKF (sorry for board drag) who goes to Denver University saw her taking a tour. So it probably is true.
RD - You are so sweet to bring this news to the Kwan fans and we know how much you love her and her fans.:laugh:

She's been in college before for a brief period. If she does go to college, I think that will be the end of skating. Although she could practice with a new coach easy enough, she could do this just as easily with UCLA and skate in her own rink.
Hey attnfan - What's Anschutz' business? What a catch!!:love: :love:

MM - I never thought she would skate in the Fall. What I am thinking is this may be exit from eligibility.

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Good for MK she has always said that she wanted to go back to school.
I hate to say it because I am such a fan of MK but I think her competitive career is over and she is moving on.

This thread proves once and for all that the people who grumble that Golden Skate is Michelle Kwan Forum #2 are all wet. Only six people have bothered to comment.

The thread on FSU is up to 15 pages in a single day. They have some real Michelle fans over there! :laugh:

MM :)

ladybug

On the Ice
Maybe when Michelle was taken out of the welcome line at the White House luncheon she attended and shown another room, she was asked to continue her education so that she could eventually be appointed as Ambassador to China.

If her body is telling her she can't compete any longer and she is looking for another career, this may be the way to go for her. Or, maybe she just wants a normal life which she has never been able to have before.

She has said she has lots of options. Maybe she wants to give this one a try. I for one hope it all works out for her and that she is happy in whatever she decides to do.

As for me personally, I am gonna miss the heck out of not watching her skate. I'm already feeling the effects of withdrawal. :cry:

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for me personally, I am gonna miss the heck out of not watching her skate. I'm already feeling the effects of withdrawal.

hey, they didn't invent VCRs for nothing! ;)

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm happy for her. She has so many wonderful opportunities open to her ... why shouldn't she take advantage of them.
I don't necessarily agree that this signals the end of her eligible career. I have never thought (at least since the Olys) that she would compete this season anyway. IMO, what will determine her future skating plans, is whether the doctors can fix her physical problems. If they can't, well then she is most certainly done with competing. But if they can ... well, with a healthy body and a year off from the heavy grind, we might just see her again at a Nationals. I doubt any future Olympics are in her future, but who knows about that too.

Here is what Michelle said in a may 12 interview with the Charlotte Observer.

Observer: What are you passionate about besides skating?

Michelle: I'm going back to school. I'm hoping that something inside school, like psychology or political science, will lead to something else. That's what everyone hopes. They are hoping after they graduate they will have some sort of direction or passion.

I really don't think she will give up her eligibility but I think it's curtains on skating competitions. What I mean is that she will 'not turn pro' what ever that means? I can't see her in a travelling show.

As for university studies. The question would be, does she have the right frame of mind to do the work of a political scientist? therapist? that's 4 years + 2years
+ 2years. at 33 she'll have a doctorate. Will the doors be open?

Why not get a job now that is skating related, if it is possible? If not a job then a volunteer judge or Technical Assistant. Wow! would that stun the contestants!!

Joe

Joesitz said:
Why not get a job now that is skating related, if it is possible?
I don't know, Joe. She doesn't need a job.

But "a mind is a terrible thing to waste." I think, like in the Michelle quote above, that she is looking to the future and hoping to find a spark in school that will give her a "new passion."

Learning something new -- what a rush! It's not the destination, it's the journey.

MM :)

nymkfan51

Medalist
The selfish part of me doesn't want her to find something other than skating to be passionate about. I know ... that's terrible. I just hate the thought of skating without her. :cry:
My guess is (if she's not able to recover enough to come back to skating), that she will move away from skating for awhile and devote her energies elsewhere ... but I think that at some point she will have something to do with skating again. I don't see her coaching full time or doing tours, but she could do a few specials each year, or maybe even do commentating.
I knew this day would come, but I'm still not prepared to handle it very well.

I am working hard on my coping strategies, nymkfan. Here's what I've got so far.

Michelle the person is an even greater treasure than Michelle the skater...so...therefore...it follows that....

OK, I'll start over. We should be happy in supporting Michelle's decisions wherever her life's path leads her...

No wait. I'm running out of cliches. MICHELLE IN 2010!

MM ;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think this awesome... I always said she had it all... brains, talent & now a billionaire... woohoo!!! :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow:

As for her choice of majors ~ being a political science major myself, I firmly believe that if one is inclinded to receive a liberal arts degree, than polisci is the best bet... it gives you great prespective on the world along with critical thinking skills... plus, its extremely marketable for a laundry list of fields... actually for those who want to see her remain active in skating ~ what better major, short of sports management, could she choose? Skating is all politics, dealing with other nationalities & effective management. Perfect for a political science major.

I'd love to see her skate again, but to be honest, I'd love to see her fulfilled in other areas of her life and not have hosting "Skating with Celebrities" be one of her future options... she deserves more. (Sorry Scott, but its true...) Escpcially if that "more" includes a billionaire ~ regardless of his father's political views... (save your sanity! do not subject yourself to the drama on that other board's thread... some people have WAY too much time on their hands...:laugh: )

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
I The question would be, does she have the right frame of mind to do the work of a political scientist? therapist? that's 4 years + 2years
+ 2years. at 33 she'll have a doctorate. Will the doors be open?

Of course the doors would be open for a job at age 33! Sheesh!