The next Sasha Cohen? | Golden Skate

The next Sasha Cohen?

I think the reason this skater looks like Michelle is because, like Michelle (and like Nicole Bobek), she achieves the amplitude of her free leg by rotating her hip outward.

Sasha, with greater flexibility in her back, brings her leg straight up behind her.

MM :)

MKFSfan

Medalist
Sasha also drops her back lower than all the skaters you mentioned. I think all 3 (4, including the picture of the youmg skater!) have gorgeous spirals. I love Michelle's body positions, how she doesn't drop her back so much. I'm not sure if it's due to something being stronger, or something more flexible. I believe if Sasha didn't get such extreme extension and pointed toes, her body dropping would be picked on more.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Alissa is a beautiful skater with amazing flexibility. I think she has the best spins, especially layback and beillmann of all the ladies. She shows great extension in her spiral sequence-love her Y-spiral COE, and how she transists into a abrasque spiral without putting her free skate down. But she really turns out her hip weird. It's almost like she does a side to side split, while rotating her body to the side.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/AlissaCzisny/photos/2004sa/IMG_6754.jpg

But we recently discussed spiral positions to death here!!! Sorry...

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ yeah, I partially agree. But I'm not crazy on spiral moves. Still impressive, though. I always liked something about her, though. I think DB said it best during the Marshall's thingy: "You are kind to the ice." Of course, except when she splats on it, lol!

Can't believe fans have never seen ballerinas do penchet(sp) arabasques. They are done by every dancer as a matter of routine. Pretty move, nothing special although when on toe it is.

Joe

brinababy87

Rinkside
BTW, the first picture and Sasha's picture are on different edges. It's easier to have more height on an outside edge. ;)

jesslily

Final Flight
The girl in purple seems 12 or younger. She might loose some flexibility if she does not work on her extension when she reaches 13 or 14 years age. I have seen some local talented skaters who had spirals almost as grear as Sasha's when they were young. By the time they went to high schools, skated much less, and did almost no off ice dance or streching, the beauty of their spirals are mostly lost.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
I think the reason this skater looks like Michelle is because, like Michelle (and like Nicole Bobek), she achieves the amplitude of her free leg by rotating her hip outward.

Sasha, with greater flexibility in her back, brings her leg straight up behind her.

MM :)
Sasha typicall does open up her body, too. When she brings the leg straight up behind her, the amplitude drops noticably.

Personally, whoever this kid is, I like her spiral better.

Skye

On the Ice
orchid said:
I believe this exquisite skater is Yu-na Kim (Korea).

Can't be. Kim is not known for super flexibility, and the girl in the picture does not look like an Asian. Actually, her face reminds me of a younger Alissa Czisny.

Any chance it is Joe's pick for 2010, Caroline Zhang? Here she is as a tiny tot (about 4 years ago). She is just coming into senior competition, I think. Scroll down for her spiral.

http://swpskating.com/zhaozhang.html

ETA: Unfortunately, it's not the same face!

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Is there confirmation on who it is, all I could get was MM's "code" I didn't understand.

She is very "sideways" with torso and hips. Sasha has a flatter back - straighter hips. They seem different, both beautiful, but different.

Last edited:

tarotx

On the Ice
The young lady in the first post has a very pretty sprial. Thanks for sharing her pciture :)

It's weird but I can't really find any pictures of Sasha's spiral from the back to the front like the young women in the first post.

cohen21902.jpg

1198dy0.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/czechmark/image/58771662

Last edited:
Spun Silver said:
Any chance it is Joe's pick for 2010, Caroline Zhang? Here she is as a tiny tot (about 4 years ago). She is just coming into senior competition, I think. Scroll down for her spiral.

http://swpskating.com/zhaozhang.html

ETA: Unfortunately, it's not the same face!
Thanks for those pics, Spun Silver.

Is she really coming into Seniors? I think she should be Junior for another year at least. She needs more work on her jumps and Juniors would be the best way to put them out there. I'll be looking at her in Spokane to see some jump improvements. If there are, she will make a big impression on her first Senior competition.

(Off topic: I also hope to see Tommy Steenberg come into his own in Spokane.)

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Thanks for those pics, Spun Silver.

Is she really coming into Seniors? I think she should be Junior for another year at least. She needs more work on her jumps and Juniors would be the best way to put them out there. I'll be looking at her in Spokane to see some jump improvements. If there are, she will make a big impression on her first Senior competition.

(Off topic: I also hope to see Tommy Steenberg come into his own in Spokane.)

Joe

Just wondering...is Spokane where US nationals is this upcomiong season?

Ant