Domnina/Shabalin, what is special about them that I am not seeing? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Domnina/Shabalin, what is special about them that I am not seeing?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Funny, I was thinking of asking the same question about Belbin and Agusto - I just don't get what the big deal is about this team. They look rather stiff when they skate.

LAD, I think that's the first time I have ever seen you criticize a Canadian skater, LOL.

MM :)

curious

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
Funny, I was thinking of asking the same question about Belbin and Agusto - I just don't get what the big deal is about this team. They look rather stiff when they skate.

simple a russian coach Sphilband:rofl::biggrin:

Lanie

On the Ice
Ladskater said:

I have to agree. The hype about these two has turned me off to them completely and I feel bad for poor Ben who gets pretty much ignored!

I don't get the fuss over D/S either - not a big fan of them. But then they're rivals of my favorite favorite favorite dance team. So of course I won't like them. :rofl:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
So Canada is one of the 80+ countries that allow dual citizenship, did Tanith? Is that allowed for Olympic competition?

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
seanibu said:
So Canada is one of the 80+ countries that allow dual citizenship, did Tanith? Is that allowed for Olympic competition?

Yes and no. An athlete certainly can't represent two countries in the same Olympics. Nor can he or she switch back and forth. But there are stories of former Soviet athletes going on the represent other countries. There was a weight lifter known as "Pocket Hercules" who went on to represent Turkey. And several Cubans have represented the U.S. And Rena Inoue, as we know, formerly competed in the Olympics for Japan. So you can represent one country and then another, but certainly not simultaneously.

goldberry99

Rinkside
seanibu said:

I don't think dual citizenship is an issue. I think you have to be a citizen of the country you represent, not ONLY the country you represent. So with Tanith competing at the Olympics for the U.S., she can be a citizen of Canada or anywhere else AS WELL, as long as she doesn't compete for them. You can only compete for one country at the Olympics and you must be a citizen, I think that is all. Since you're not allowed to compete for more than one country at one Olympics, whether you have more than one citizenship doesn't matter.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Well, as someone who sees whats special about both Domnina/Shabalin and Belbin/Agosto, I suppose I should respond.

I love the smoothness to Domnina/Shabalin's skating; that's what made their rhumba and their foxtrot from the past season so amazing. They're very well matched technically, too, although he is a bit better than she is.

I love the utter joy Belbin/Agosto have in their skating, like ice dancing is the most fun thing in the world. I also like their versatility and great rhythm. And their footwork is fabulous - the best since Grishuk/Platov's.

I kept this short, so if you want me to gush more, I can do that.

euterpe

Medalist
I've never been a big Domnina/Shabalin fan. What they do, they do pretty well, but there's nothing amazing or passionate about this team that sets them apart from the herd. However, because they get extra credit for IDWR (ice dancing while Russian), they will probably make the World podium in the next two years even if other teams seem more deserving.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
boggartlaura said:
I love the smoothness to Domnina/Shabalin's skating; that's what made their rhumba and their foxtrot from the past season so amazing. They're very well matched technically, too, although he is a bit better than she is.

I love the utter joy Belbin/Agosto have in their skating, like ice dancing is the most fun thing in the world. I also like their versatility and great rhythm. And their footwork is fabulous - the best since Grishuk/Platov's.
Great post!