Biggest Judging errors in the past | Golden Skate

Biggest Judging errors in the past

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
What performances in the past do you think were underrated/overrated, resulting in the skater either not getting the medal they deserved or doing better than they should have?

First off, I just have to start with Irina Slutskaya. I truly, truly think she should have placed 4th at every single Olympics. In 1998 she should have been the top ranking Russian, instead of Maria Buterskaya who got ridiculous markings of 5.8's and even a 5.9 for a very lacking performance. Then in 2002 Irina became the person who unfairly received 5.8's and 5.9's (there is absolutely no way you can argue a technical program with less than 7 triples and no 3-3 combination deserves a 5.9...plus she had a couple shaky landings too!). Her biased markings from the Eastern European judges not only cost Michelle Kwan the top medal (by putting Sarah Hughes in Gold position after her 4th place finish in the Short), but also knocked Sasha Cohen off from getting the Bronze Medal and forming an American sweep that actually was deserved! Lastly, at this year's Olympics, Fumie Suguri was blatantly underscored on the Program Components while Irina somehow managed high PCS for her least inspired performance of the season and received a Bronze medal that she looked like she would rather set on fire than be grateful for.

I'll continue later. That's all I can handle at the moment.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:p

MK (Campbell's )2005. All I could ever handle. EP - 06 Olys - jesh, the thoughts. But alas that is all they are PTs. Just me.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t have any choice for the biggest judging error ever, but e.g. these have been errors, in my opinion:

Urmanov gold in 1997 Europeans - Zagorodniuk should have won
B&S gold in 1999 Worlds - Shen & Zhao should have won
Yagudin gold in 2002 Europeans - Abt should have won
Kwan first place in 2002 OG short programme - Slutskaya was the rightful winner

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think I remember back in 05 (?) when MK had arguably the worst performance of her career. I think the judges did hold her up there. she should have been lower in the qualifying.

Also...I can't help but get this feeling that Irina should have won silver in 06 over Cohen. Yes, I saw the point justification and all that, but...I dunno, whatever. But one thing's for sure: that silver WAS surely a gift.

anniemg

Rinkside
Zuranthium said:
Then in 2002 Irina became the person who unfairly received 5.8's and 5.9's (there is absolutely no way you can argue a technical program with less than 7 triples and no 3-3 combination deserves a 5.9...plus she had a couple shaky landings too!). Her biased markings from the Eastern European judges not only cost Michelle Kwan the top medal (by putting Sarah Hughes in Gold position after her 4th place finish in the Short), but also knocked Sasha Cohen off from getting the Bronze Medal and forming an American sweep that actually was deserved!

Personnaly, I was not suprised by Irina's marks at the Olympics because she has always had high personal component marks, and I never really got why. But since it happens everytime, I was starting to accept it. So I was not suprised at all. The judges wouldn't have placed Slutskaya under Kwan or Cohen in the 2002free, because the two had falls and Slutskaya didn't. And under the 6.0 system, falls counted A LOT.

For me, the biggest joke was the ice dance competition in 2001 Worlds. The Italian's first place was a complete joke. I just can't believe that dance got those marks, where Anissina/ Peizerat's wonderful dance got second. I just can't find any reason. What was better? Their technique? Their speed? Their presentation?
One of the biggest mysteries for me...I just felt sorry for A/P who didn't get their second World title. At least they came roaring back next season and well we all know what happened:biggrin:

Vash01

Medalist
IMO this thread is turning into who do you like/dislike more, and not so much about judging errors. An error means rules were not followed correctly (and that happens in every sport, except those measured with a stop watch). What I am reading here is just showing personal favorites not winning (or the nonfavorites winning).

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
Jaana said:
I don´t have any choice for the biggest judging error ever, but e.g. these have been errors, in my opinion:

B&S gold in 1999 Worlds - Shen & Zhao should have won

S&Z's program had virtually no choreography. There is no way they could be awarded higher presentation marks than B&S, who, despite a fall, skated a very strong program with complex choreography and musical interpretation. If this was the SP, there would have been heavy deduction for the fall, but there were no mandatory deductions in the LP.

Vash

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd's bronze medal at 2001 Worlds. He was totally "on" in the entire competition, and should have won silver. I'm still angry :mad: :frown: :scratch: with the judge who put him 7th (!) in the short program (which shocks me even more when I realize that 3 of the 8 required elements were spins). OK, I'll admit, that I don't really give a pin about quads when I look at entire programs. With all due respect to Alexei (please do not throw tomatoes at me), I cannot understand how he won the silver medal in this competition, as he was really off in his free skate (I do not begrudge Alexei's OGM in SLC a year later - he was amazing there & totally deserved it).

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Zuranthium said:
What performances in the past do you think were underrated/overrated, resulting in the skater either not getting the medal they deserved or doing better than they should have?

First off, I just have to start with Irina Slutskaya. I truly, truly think she should have placed 4th at every single Olympics. In 1998 she should have been the top ranking Russian, instead of Maria Buterskaya who got ridiculous markings of 5.8's and even a 5.9 for a very lacking performance. Then in 2002 Irina became the person who unfairly received 5.8's and 5.9's (there is absolutely no way you can argue a technical program with less than 7 triples and no 3-3 combination deserves a 5.9...plus she had a couple shaky landings too!). Her biased markings from the Eastern European judges not only cost Michelle Kwan the top medal (by putting Sarah Hughes in Gold position after her 4th place finish in the Short), but also knocked Sasha Cohen off from getting the Bronze Medal and forming an American sweep that actually was deserved! Lastly, at this year's Olympics, Fumie Suguri was blatantly underscored on the Program Components while Irina somehow managed high PCS for her least inspired performance of the season and received a Bronze medal that she looked like she would rather set on fire than be grateful for.

I'll continue later. That's all I can handle at the moment.

:eek:
Ira 4th?????? Personaly I think that she should be 1st in Salt Lake and 2nd in Torino

Hmm...There are many many many mistakes...

I'd say one of the biggest is that there were two pairs golds in SLC 2002. That should NEVER happen...

Now, what I remembered in recent past, is that they gave Sasha bronze and Sokolova deserved it better on Worlds 2006. I remember what commentetors said (on British Eurosport):

"Sokolove third. I think that wasn't ok. ISU, we like the new judging system, we like the marks, but take a tape and look back- that wasn't fair."

Red Dog said:
I think I remember back in 05 (?) when MK had arguably the worst performance of her career. I think the judges did hold her up there. she should have been lower in the qualifying.
My gawd! All the way back last year. tough to remember that far back.

seanibu said:
MK (Campbell's) 2005.
Michelle did not compete in the 2005 Campbell's. She withdrew due to injury. (But if you mean the Marshall's phone-in thing, yeah, the TV audience proved itself to be the worst of all possible judging panels. :laugh: Plus, they should have put Matt Savoie ahead of both Weiss and Weir. ;) )

MKFSfan

Medalist
seanibu said:
:p

MK (Campbell's )2005. All I could ever handle. EP - 06 Olys - jesh, the thoughts. But alas that is all they are PTs. Just me.

Are you referring to Bolero in the Cheesefest? I rather liked that performance! her only mistake was a double 3toe. I found she gave an uplifting, pleasant performance that was so much better than her Worlds showings. Sasha, who was 2nd (and IMO, robbed Jenny Kirk-she skated very well), with several wonky and two-ft landings, did not skate well enough to overtake Michelle.

Other competitions, that to me were wrong:

Worlds 2003-I truly feel Tim should've won.

Sarah/Sasha 2003 Nationals-I felt AP was robbed of Silver and should have been on the Worlds Team that year.

Sasha SA 2003-Jenny should've won the LP.

VV CofRussia 2002-Sasha skated pretty clean back to back performances, still couldn't win.

Red Dog said:
I think I remember back in 05 (?) when MK had arguably the worst performance of her career. I think the judges did hold her up there. She should have been lower in the qualifying.
Well, they didn't hold her up too much. She scored 99.96 points, which put her 5th in her qualifying group and 7th overall going into the short. She was so far behind that she didn't even make the last flight in the short, and was not able to medal even after getting third in both the short and the long.

(BTW, the beauty of the CoP is that we can't just shout "wuzrobbed" any more. If you think 99.96 points was too high, which elements or component scores did you feel were out of line?)

Also...I can't help but get this feeling that Irina should have won silver in 06...
I love Irina to pieces, and her 2005 World Championship performance was one of the all-time highlights of the sport.

But IMHO her 2006 Olympic LP was simply abysmal. Who kidnapped my Irina and put this sleepwalking robot in her place?

MM :)

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
Tara Lipinski - 98' Olympics
Sarah Hughes - 98' Olympics
Navka&Kostomarov - 06' Olympics
Evgeni Plushenko - 06' Olympics

'nuff said :)

Spirit

On the Ice
That Runway episode. The guy who made a skating outfit that looked like a turkey in mating season was not voted off the show!

How in heaven's name could a tragedy like that be allowed to happen?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
94 Olympics Urmanov vs Stojko-Urmanov had a very good performance, but it was not the championship performance of the evening cleary for me. That was Stojko's. Urmanov had 7 clean triples, and 2 triple axels, but no triple-triples.
Stojko had 7 triples, 2 triple axels as well, and a triple axel-triple toe. Stojko's spins were far better. His footwork was a bit more intricate. He was clearly faster and had the better ice coverage. They had different style, they were similarly good in musical interpretation, and choreographic quality I felt. Urmanov has the better line and extension, but Stojko skated with more command and conviction of the two that night. Stojko should have been the Olympic Champion, and Urmanov the Olympic silver medalist.

98 Olympics dance event-There was clearly a block of 5 judges-Poland, Russia, Itally, Czech Republic, and the Ukraine which dictated the results. Bourne and Kraatz were robbed of atleast a bronze medal by this beyond any doubt. Punsalen/Swallow of the U.S were robbed of a higher finish then 7th. Anissina
/Peizerat were pushed onto the podium by this, Lobacheva/Averbuhk were pushed into the top 5, Fusar-Poli/Margalio were pushed up to 6th over a team like Punsalen/Swallow setting them up nicely for the next quadrennial, the Ukranians and Czechs were bumped up in the final placings. A truly shameful exhibition of pre-orchestrated resuls.

2002 Olympics pairs event-Do I really need to say anything?

Mathman said:
(BTW, the beauty of the CoP is that we can't just shout "wuzrobbed" any more. If you think 99.96 points was too high, which elements or component scores did you feel were out of line?)MM :)
Some posters don't understand that and in this case I doubt the poster is able to see the difference between 6 triple jump passes from splats.

It's easy to tear apart an injured skater.

Joe