Shen and Zhao to compete next season | Golden Skate

Shen and Zhao to compete next season

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
TOO COOL!!!!

If it happens.

I got a bit of a start when the link came up, tho; I saw the headline in combination with the heads of those two bizarre Olympic mascots (had to scroll down to get S & Z in the picture) and I'm thinking, OK, that is NOT Shen & Zhao unless they have joined a really bizarre ice show..... :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
Can't wait. Hope they both stay healthy. I can only imagine what they are capable of now. They did very well in Turin after being back in pairs training for only 3 months.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I am glad Shen/Zhou are returning mostly because I would really like to see Pang/Tong win Worlds beating both Shen/Zhou and Zhang/Zhang this coming year. :biggrin: Sorry I just have developed a soft spot for that team since they are the forgotten Chinese team alot, and their Worlds win catching alot of people out of the blue was great to see. Plus I think they were jobbed at the Olympics so that is worth my support for atleast another year.

nymkfan51

Medalist
This is great news!!! :clap:

They were missed last season ... can't wait to see their new programs!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, very happy to hear these news!!! Shen & Zhao has been my biggest favourite in pairs skating quite some time.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Have to wonder, tho, if they're getting some prodding from the Chinese federation. Seems to me I read somewhere that they wanted to leave the eligible scene after SLC, but the Chinese federation would not even entertain the idea and prodded them to stick around 4 more years. (I didn't read this recently, it was not long after SLC, and if I could remember WHERE I read it, I would be more than glad to track it down and quote from it). Then again, given their "derailment" of the last couple of seasons, they may think now that they have some unfinished business. But whatever the reason, it's great news and good for Pairs in general.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was hoping they would join the US SOI tour this coming season :cry: , but I will continue to cheer for them as my favorite eligible international pairs team :clap: .

If they can still hold on to the "pas de deux" feeling in their Pairs, I am with them, but in that style they have, imo, a tough team to beat: Pang and Tong!! Not to overlook expected improvements from Marcoux and Buntin.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chengjiang Li has just about outright said that he will retire when he is told he can. I think it's the same situation with Shen/Zhao.

heyang

Record Breaker
As someone else said, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to do this one last season since they were unable to participate at the last 2 World's.

Perhaps, they did want to go pro after SLC Wouldn't be surprised if their federation applied some pressure since the other Chinese teams weren't quite 'there', yet.

However, I think there was more for them to do after SLC. If they had retired/gone pro, we wouldn't have seen their breakthrough performance in DC in 2003. They really didn't have the 'expression' in their skating til after SLC.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I absolutely love this team, but I have mixed feelings about this news. What if he cripples himself trying for one more year? I'd rather they tried for a very long pro career. It's their choice (I hope) and I will be cheering for them. I just hope they stay healthy!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Wow, I thought they'd get the SOI gig and take it.

Maybe their federation told them not to...

do they get a final say or do they have to do what they're told by their federation? I'm not sure how it all works over there... but I also remember the story in 02 after SLC... I agree in the long run it was good for them because they have grown... but I hope that if they are competing this next season it's because THEY want to...and for no other reason but that.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I've always gotten the impression that the Chinese federation is the Soviet federation of the new millenium. Yes, you will do what we tell you. No, you will not have any say in it. No, you are not going to the West to make money. Yes, if we decide you are we going to take most of it.

Peng Shuai, a Chinese tennis player, recently created a stir by protesting the amount of money that the Chinese tennis federation took from her; I'm surprised they've even let her out of the country since. I rather suspect the Chinese skating federation may be afraid of having their people defect, much like the Iron Curtain regimes were, if they spend too much time in the West

Alsace

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
Peng Shuai, a Chinese tennis player, recently created a stir by protesting the amount of money that the Chinese tennis federation took from her; I'm surprised they've even let her out of the country since.

She's making money for them. Maybe they doubled her guard.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Alsace said:
She's making money for them. Maybe they doubled her guard.

Exactly. Martina Navratilova, in her autobiography, talked about her defection from Czechoslovakia and the troubles with the federation that led to this, and she basically said, "Why did they have to push me? Why did they have to treat me like that? I was making good money for them, and with the money I've made since, I could have doubled the Gross National Product!!" :laugh: In regards to the Chinese skaters, Shen & Zhao could be a pretty good moneymaker for them.