Oda vs Takahashi | Golden Skate

Oda vs Takahashi

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
There is alot of talk about the U.S rivalry between Weir and Lysacek in the U.S over the next 4 years but the rivalry in Japan between Oda and Takahashi will be intersting. Neither of these hugely talented youngsters has stepped to a World podium yet but it is probably only a matter of time. They are very different skaters, but quite evenly matched for the time being.

The whole situation at the Japanese Nationals this year, with Oda thinking he had won and would go to the Olympics, but then a scoring error being found that gave it to Takahashi surely intensified the competition between them. Also Takahashi being dropped from Worlds to make room for Oda, especialy when the scoring error at the Nationals was reported to be a legitimate one, probably irked Takahashi as well, as either had a more viable medal chance here then in Turin with Plushenko not in the field.

Takahashi is a very hot and cold skater. His skating is much more mature and musical then Oda's at this point right now though. Oda is such a pure jumper, and has youthful exuberance out there. Both are working hard on their spins and footwork to get their levels up it seems in the last year. Oda's biggest weakest is in the long repeating jumps, or rearranging what jumps he does, which sometimes costs him. At Worlds he lost the bronze due to not getting credit for a jump he repeated. This sounds like what happened at Japanese Nationals this year too. So twice it cost him big, and it seems to be a tendency of his.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I love them both. I like Takahashi's style, but also Oda's soft knees and rhythmic jumps. I can't wait to see them go head-to-head next season.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Do the Japanese men have 2 spots or 3 spots for Worlds next year? It was sad they only had 1 for the Olympics and Worlds this year. It would have been nice if they had 3 so Honda could finish his career with a final trip to the Olympics and Worlds even though he didnt have a prayer of contending.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Do the Japanese men have 2 spots or 3 spots for Worlds next year?
Oda's 4th place finish at 2006 Worlds gives the Japanese men 2 spots for 2007 Worlds in Tokyo. Japan has more talented guys in the pipeline as well -- Takahiko Kozuka followed in Takahashi's and Oda's footsteps by winning the Jr. World men's title this year and Takahito Mura placed 5th (3rd in the FS). Two others guys who have recently graduated from the junior ranks are Yasuharu Nanri (ranked #18 in the ISU standings) and Ryo Shibata (#28).

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Sylvia said:
Oda's 4th place finish at 2006 Worlds gives the Japanese men 2 spots for 2007 Worlds in Tokyo. Japan has more talented guys in the pipeline as well -- Takahiko Kozuka followed in Takahashi's and Oda's footsteps by winning the Jr. World men's title this year and Takahito Mura placed 5th (3rd in the FS). Two others guys who have recently graduated from the junior ranks are Yasuharu Nanri (ranked #18 in the ISU standings) and Ryo Shibata (#28).

Thanks. It sounds like the men could soon have depth to rival the women in Japan.

Vash01

Medalist
I love both Takahashi and Oda. IMO Daisuke is further along in his artistry, but he tends to be inconsistent in his jumps. I hope he can achieve consistency, or he will not be competitive on the world stage. Oda has better jumps, but his overall skating has not developed to the same extent. I see him as developing in the next couple of years and be ready at the 2010 Olympics. Takahashi could win right now if he had a consistent quad and consistency in other jumps. As much as I love his skating, he is a big question mark in my mind. Since there are other young Japanese men with potential, Daisuke will need to work hard to stay on top. I am happy that at the next worlds we are likely to see both Takahashi and Oda competing.

Vash

I love both too and find them both beautiful to watch. I give Oda a slight edge but am not sure I can say why - my sense is that he's a little more naturally talented, comes across with that wonderful effortless look. I could change my mind about this, though - they are so closely matched. They will egg each other on and definitely add major excitement to the men's field.

Okami

On the Ice
I'm certainly going to keep an eye on both of them. They are both amazing in their own way and a delight to watch.

I really enjoy Daisuke's passionate way of skating. He can be both lyrical and dynamic, and I love that in a skater. His step sequences are to die for. I'm glad he was able to pull himself together after not very impressive 2004/05 season. He seems to be really determined now. If only he could improve the consistency of his jumps, he could challenge for the top spots.

I never get tired of watching Nobunari's routines (particularly the World's "Barber..." and all "Rooster" performances) thanks to his showmanship skills. What I find the most impressive about him is his sheer determination and fast rate of improvement. Actually, I love everything about him: his musicality, versatility, speed, jumps that can be both dynamic and incredibly soft, his fast, effortless way of skating, centered spins, his easy smile and willingness to share it with the audience. He still has quite a few things that need improving, but it his case I feel I can allow myself to be optimistic.

Also Takahashi being dropped from Worlds to make room for Oda, especialy when the scoring error at the Nationals was reported to be a legitimate one, probably irked Takahashi as well, as either had a more viable medal chance here then in Turin with Plushenko not in the field.

Takahashi was not "dropped" from Worlds. Takeshi Honda had said before Skate Canada that the Japan Skating Federation was going to send one skater to the Olympics and the second one to Calgary. Had Oda won, Takahashi would have been the one to go to the Worlds. I feel it was a good decision on JSF's part, as it gave both of the young skaters a valuable experience.
IMHO, Takahashi would have just as much luck at medaling at Worlds as he had at Olympics. Maybe Plushenko wasn't there, but the quality of the skating was (IMHO) better at Worlds; and Takahashi was probably a bit tired after the Olympics. Oda, meanwhile, was ready to go and determined to prove his worth after the Nationals.

Speaking of which, I'm a bit afraid for Takahashi in this season. If he struggled so much with barely-out-of-juniors, quadless, CoP-challenged, short on PCS and generally unknown Oda, it does not bode well for the future. I just hope that Daisuke will be able to keep up with Nobunari's rate of improvement and will offer us another season full of exciting performances.

shine

Record Breaker
Something that really frustrates me as a Takahashi fan is that his jumps get SO MUCH air, but he still tends to underrotate them quite often due to a habit of leaning forward on the landing, and I believe such habit contributes to his jump inconsistency more or less. With the kind of height to his jumps and the ease with which he gets that height, he SHOULD be doing quads easily, yet he's not. I hope some coach will be able to fix his jump technique.because he's got too much raw talent to not do the jumps correctly.

I think both Oda and Takahashi are great skaters. IMO a lot of people underappreciate Oda's interpretive talent just because he looks young and his programs aren't as showy or dramatic as those of Takahashi's. I don't love him yet, but his ability to execute difficult elements within complex choreography is pretty incredible to me; and he's got some of the finest basic skating and individual elements (such as spins!) in skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oda performs his SPs with great personality and animation, but somehow he gets lost in his choreography in the FS and I don't see the same expression. In some ways, Oda is much like Weir in that he keeps making the same mistakes in his FSs: repeating elements that don't count, and/or leaving out elements and combinations that do count. In addition, Oda seems to have a problem with the 3A; he usually falls on one of the two 3As in his FS. For that reason, I don't think he's going to have a quad anytime soon.

Takahashi, OTOH, is simply inconsistent. He can perform both programs superbly at one competition, and mess up one or the other segment at the next.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I like Takahashi's skating. His Skate America Performance was one of my favorites all season. Oda's skating while consistent leaves me cold. However I think he get better marks.

Vash01

Medalist
Oda is still young - I think he just turned 18, and he looks like he is 15:laugh: IMO he is going to mature in the next couple of years and then we will see what he is capable of. He will avoid the silly mistakes he made this year; I think they were made because of his inexperience. I feel that he is going to overtake Takahashi, who I like. Takahashi's jump consistency is a big concern to me because it could keep him off the podium at worlds.

Vash

Kasey

Medalist
I agree that both of them are huge talents still in development. I was lucky to see them both live last season, back-to-back events. At this point, I would give the edge to Takahashi as far as who I like better and think is further along on the "Complete skating package" road....but Oda is a force to be reckoned with! Hopefully they will both remain healthy and we'll see a lot of this great rivalry in the next few seasons.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Takahashi has had a couple of years more experience at the senior level than Oda, despite their closeness in age. He skated at 4C's in 2003 and had a full senior load beginning in 2003-4, with two GPs (SC and Lalique), 4C's, and Worlds.

Although Oda has been competing under CoP for just as long, it was in a shorter program, which may explain the extra element issues in the senior ranks.