I would love to learn how to skate! | Golden Skate

I would love to learn how to skate!

jayta

Rinkside
Hi! I'm 28 and have loved skating since the first time I saw it on tv. I live in a small rural town and we did/do have CanSkate here. But I didn't know there were lessons for such things and my family couldn't really afford to get me lessons - lucked out just to get into our school band.

There are days when I dream of skating. But I don't know how to even start now. I can skate around without falling on my derriere. I can even sorta spin - though I won't say it's text book. But I haven't had a pair of skates since I was in my teens and they seem to be very scarce, unless I pay mucho money.

I would like to find an adult class. That would be great. Just to learn. And skate. Anyways, just wanted to say that I appreciate your effort in your 'old age' to start even learning a new thing!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Being in my 30s and only now have I leaned to do any kinda spin - I stink - and just stared feeling comfortable skating backwards. I had a little bit of experience with roller skating when I was younger - the old TV show Mork and Middy has my girlfriend and I skating in the background at WHEELS ROLLER RINK! Ah those were the days.

Anyway, New skates are a must! I shelled out around $250 but it changed everything. I was surfing the web and saw a pair for ladies around $120 (it could have been less) or so. Look at the Your favorite skates thread and google some of the names. Mine are Riedell's and it was a sporting goods site I saw the skates on. That is where I would start, particularly if you don't have hallowed blades.

And good for you not falling, I just fell over a month ago trying for hight on a bunny hop - but I was looking at who was looking, and that is something I will never do again.

Also keep reading the Lutz Corner, I feel like the info I read hear has improved my skating, but I have no aspirations of competing. I just love the feel, and rarely try and Jump - if I think I am going to (i.e. not many kids on the ice) I wrap my knee.

You should really be reading other skaters info in this "forum arena." But I think everyone will agree with get new skates, it makes a big difference - plus they are safer for your body.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11640

Rusty Blades

Rinkside
WAHOO!!! Another prairie adult!!! Yippie!

Check out Skate Canada at http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/

There are a gadzillion skating clubs in Saskatchewan so get in touch with your section of Skate Canada at http://www.skatecanadasaskatchewan.com/index2.html and ask them about adults. If you don't get good, straight answers, get back to me and I'll shake the tree until some suitable clubs fall out! (There HAS to be adults skating in Sask and we WILL find them!)

Wolfgang

On the Ice
28 is 'old age' in Saskatchewan?
Must be something in the water...;)
You can get some decent skates for under US $ 100 on the web, I bought a $ 70pair of Dominion 718's from skatebuys.com, and while not stellar, they did a fine job taking me through levels 1-3.
Sure beat the crap out of those ridiculous plastic things they have at the rink!
I have now upgraded to Riedell Silver Medaillons ($ 280 with Wilson Jubilee blades), that's another major step up.

Seanibu - Do NOT look at others, especially not when jumping or doing something new! That could really hurt....
Leave the looking for those times when there's actually an audience, by which time you should be proficient enough to be able to look anywhere you like....:agree:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Wolfgang said:
2Seanibu - Do NOT look at others, especially not when jumping or doing something new! That could really hurt....
Leave the looking for those times when there's actually an audience, by which time you should be proficient enough to be able to look anywhere you like....:agree:

Thanks. :laugh: I will never be performing for a Audience that I can assure you - other then the people that go to the rink with me. And that is good advice at any rate. It left me with a mild concution, but I did get some TLC:love: - to bad I was out of it and couldn't enjoy it as much.

I am with Paul Benabose on the no helmets - at least how they are at present - really screws with the center of gravity. I think I or someone could invent a "more" padded head band or something. I have seen a few different types used and know of one that fits the description that is thick and leathery looking - that I think is stupid. I am wondering more about just foam - like they have in Bicycle helmets. Just a ring that if you do fall it gets replaced. I don't see how that could be anything more then uncomfortable at first. It would weigh less then the difference in hair changes I have seen ladies have - MK went from that pony tail to short and sassy.

So jayta, take heed to the head!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
totally off topic, but wasn't it Mork and MiNdy? ;) Nanno, Nanno!

I'm 21, I've been skating all of two times... hate the feeling I have on skates... I am balance challenged lol... so I will not be trying again... just makes me appreciate the sport more

good luck in your learning! wish I had it in me! :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
totally off topic, but wasn't it Mork and MiNdy? ;) Nanno, Nanno!

Yep, dated myself. BTW its Nannoo Nannoo;):laugh: as if it matters.

MiNdy - oops

Also I could not skate backwards then, Couldn't until I wore Ice Skates - and only recently am able to feel comfortable. I think I already said that -oops. don't know if it was due to rooller or what, but it is proof that you can learn latter to do things you couldn't when younger. Meant as insperation.

singerskates

On the Ice
jayta said:
Hi! I'm 28 and have loved skating since the first time I saw it on tv. I live in a small rural town and we did/do have CanSkate here. But I didn't know there were lessons for such things and my family couldn't really afford to get me lessons - lucked out just to get into our school band.

There are days when I dream of skating. But I don't know how to even start now. I can skate around without falling on my derriere. I can even sorta spin - though I won't say it's text book. But I haven't had a pair of skates since I was in my teens and they seem to be very scarce, unless I pay mucho money.

I would like to find an adult class. That would be great. Just to learn. And skate. Anyways, just wanted to say that I appreciate your effort in your 'old age' to start even learning a new thing!

Join Competitive Adult Skaters Yahoo Group
http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/compadultsk8s
We have all the answers and even links to where you can find the answers to your skating questions. Welcome to the rink!

singerskates

flutterby1145

Rinkside
seanibu said:
Thanks. :laugh: I will never be performing for a Audience that I can assure you - other then the people that go to the rink with me. And that is good advice at any rate. It left me with a mild concution, but I did get some TLC:love: - to bad I was out of it and couldn't enjoy it as much.

I am with Paul Benabose on the no helmets - at least how they are at present - really screws with the center of gravity. I think I or someone could invent a "more" padded head band or something. I have seen a few different types used and know of one that fits the description that is thick and leathery looking - that I think is stupid. I am wondering more about just foam - like they have in Bicycle helmets. Just a ring that if you do fall it gets replaced. I don't see how that could be anything more then uncomfortable at first. It would weigh less then the difference in hair changes I have seen ladies have - MK went from that pony tail to short and sassy.

So jayta, take heed to the head!

Have you looked into Full90? A lady in my group lessons wears a Full90 head guard, although it was made for soccer players. http://www.full90.com/showcase/full90_premier.asp

Last edited:

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
seanibu said:
Thanks. :laugh: I will never be performing for a Audience that I can assure you -
Yeah, we all say that at first..... you wait!

To the Original Poster: 28 is not old, I was into my 40s before I started to learn to skate, having only skated occasionally and recreationally before then (no rinks where I lived!). And yeah, right, all I wanted to be able to do was..... and now I compete internationally and in our national Adult Championships. Only against people of my own age group and skill level, which is mediocre, I hasten to add - but it's the most fun one can have with one's clothes on!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
flutterby1145 said:
Have you looked into Full90? A lady in my group lessons wears a Full90 head guard, although it was made for soccer players. http://www.full90.com/showcase/full90_premier.asp

No,!!!! Where do I find such an item? I have been trying to come up with a helmet type that would work for figure skating, never looked into soccer. I would love to see it. I am going to search now!!!! Thank you!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mrs Redboots said:
Yeah, we all say that at first..... you wait!

To the Original Poster: 28 is not old, I was into my 40s before I started to learn to skate, having only skated occasionally and recreationally before then (no rinks where I lived!). And yeah, right, all I wanted to be able to do was..... and now I compete internationally and in our national Adult Championships. Only against people of my own age group and skill level, which is mediocre, I hasten to add - but it's the most fun one can have with one's clothes on!

That was awesome, thank you, I still doubt it yet I will take into consideration and keep buying the nice skates:biggrin:

Last edited: