Figure Skating Story -- you're the coach. | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Story -- you're the coach.

Icarus

Spectator
Hello. I'm a writer and -- I'm not sure how I've managed to get myself into this -- but I'm writing a story about a figure skater and his coach.

I'm just beginning the research and could really use your help. My experience with figure skating involves a pair of skates and a backyard pond, plus being the typical armchair cheering section during the Olympics. I had an Olympic athlete (track and field) in the family, so that helps.

My story calls for an almost-there skater, who rises up through the Sectionals, Regionals, and to the Nationals most years. He once made it as far as the Worlds but was taken out by an injury. He relies mostly on athletic ability and his jumps but has realized that he's never going to make it any further if he doesn't improve artistically. He has no idea how to do so.

He's gone through a few coaches, and has one now that's an arrogant prima donna who's highly unconventional.

You're the coach. How would you train him?

There's much I need to learn, but let's start with the question that's the most fun.

Thank you,
Icarus

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I am not coach or an artist. I am just tired and silly. ;) I don't know if you are looking for realistic and rational suggestions or not. I don't have very many of those.

John Nicks (coach) told someone on Skating with Celebrities to get in touch with his feminine side. There's possibilities there.

His coach could take a "holistic" approach to artistry. (All art is inteconnected. If he's too repressed on the ice, get him to loosen up off the ice.)

If you're writing a comedy, you could have the coach introduce him to some weirder "art" forms. He could be required to find his artistic higher power by means of painting. (Farrah Fawcett actually applied the paint to her body and rolled around the canvas.) It's eccentric at least.

He might learn to communicate without words and earn spare change by becoming a part time street mime. You can't be afraid of looking ridiculous and be a mime. (Didn't Tarasova make Yagudin learn to juggle?)

There are all kinds of performance art acts out there. Finding an unconventional one shouldn't be difficult.

Many skaters take music, dance, and acting lessons. The coach could get eccentric with the kind of dance and music lessons. There's also the handy dandy sports psychologist.

Last edited:

Icarus

Spectator
Rational, irrational, I'm up for anything. See, most of your suggestions I'd never considered. I'd heard football players taking ballet...

John Nicks (coach) told someone on Skating with Celebrities to get in touch with his feminine side. There's possibilities there.

Oh, ha!

Didn't Tarasova make Yagudin learn to juggle?

No kidding, really? I can see how that would help.

The coach could get eccentric with the kind of dance and music lessons.

That could get interesting. It depends on what he wants to bring out in the skater. More intensity? Tae Kwon Do. More fluidity? Eurythmy.

I can just see the guy:

"You want me to what? Look, I can sorta see the point of the juggling and whatnot, but I'm not doing -- what is that anyway?" (After a few moments of staring.) "You're doing this just to torment me, aren't you?"

There's also the handy dandy sports psychologist.

Good idea, but that's probably beyond our guy's reach. He's so sadly broke....

Icarus

Spectator
That's great! Yes, his Man in the Iron Mask was one of his more tame costumes.

I'm so going to have something about my skater's costumes.

"Okay, now this? Has got to go."

"My mom sewed that."

"Oh. She's the one that--"

"Pays you. Right."

Coach examines costume. "It's workable, I suppose. Can we die it black?"

"No."

SusanBeth

Final Flight
That reminds me of Honda's costume a few years ago. He was skating to "The Mummy" and (at least from what I've read) his Mother made the costume. It looked like he was skating while wrapped in toilet paper. That still wasn't the worst costume ever. If you look for threads on costumes, you are bound to be stunned. If your eyes bleed easily, you might want to wear protective goggles! :eek: ;)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Is your skater's name Emanuel Sandhu by any chance? He is definitely a Prima Donna and gives his coach grief. Terrific skater though. Good luck with the story.

:laugh: