Champions whom you would like to defend their title. | Golden Skate

Champions whom you would like to defend their title.

Which 2006 World Champs would you like to see repeat in 2007?

• Denkova and Stavisky

Votes: 38 33.9%
  • Pang and Tong

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • Kimmie Meisner

Votes: 39 34.8%
  • Stephane Lambiel

Votes: 44 39.3%

• Total voters
Given Denkova and Stavisky skate in 2007 Worlds.

Given that Pang on Tong skate in 2007 Worlds.

Kimmie and Stephane will more than likely be at 2007 Worlds.

Are you happy that they will defend their titles and carry them over to 2008?

If not whom would you wish to take over the title?

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Of the 4, Denkova & Staviysky; I think it would be great if this talented couple could at least be referred to as "2 Time World Champions", especially since they can't be referred to as Olympic medallists. If they're no-shows, I'd love to see Dubreil & Lauzon take it over. If THEY are no-shows, I'd have to go then with Tanith & Ben.

I'd like to see Stephane repeat if Plushy is there, because the 2 he has was without Plushy being a factor. Plus it might wake Plushy up to the fact that he needs to do more than just connect dots in his programs.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
JonnyCoop said:
I'd like to see Stephane repeat if Plushy is there, because the 2 he has was without Plushy being a factor. Plus it might wake Plushy up to the fact that he needs to do more than just connect dots in his programs.

I do like Plushenko, but ITA with ya. Stephane, IMO, has that same spark that drove Alexei Y. so far.:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Stephane is the only one I'd love to see continue... I want Tanith and Ben to take the top spot for dance

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I voted for Lambiel and Denkova & Staviski, but actually it does not matter to me much whether they win or not in Worlds 2007. I prefer much more just to be able to watch an exciting competition with at least 3 skaters battling for the title and the best one(s) winning..

I would like to see all of them repeat their wins in 2007. My if nots would be Dubreil and Lauzon; Marcoux and Buntin; Sasha Cohen; Ilia Klimkin

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kimmie Meisner, aren't the 2007 scheduled for her home club too? That is kinda cool.

JAQ, why is Kimmie's name the only one in italics? Doesn't matter, just curious.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
seanibu said:
JAQ, why is Kimmie's name the only one in italics? Doesn't matter, just curious.

Because that's who you voted for. Denkova & Staviysky are the only ones in italics on my screen.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kimmie repeat, just to prove that she can, as opposed to doing a variation of the Sarah Hughes thing and winning one Big One and then not much of anything else. Barring that, I'd like to see Sasha win it (hopefully with a clean long program on top of it, just to put a gag on some of her critics if for no other reason), but ideally I'd like to see Fumie on the top of the podium.

Pang & Tong, I don't really care one way or the other. I'd love to see Shen & Zhao pick up another one, maybe hold the top place until Dube & Davison mature enough to get up there....:rock:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for Stephane. I hope we get a few more years out of him.

Dee

flutterby1145

Rinkside
I voted for Kimmie because I like her skating and to show that her performance in Calgary wasn't a fluke or one time thing or pure luck. Personally, I would love to see Inoue and Baldwin win a World medal (I don't care what color the medal is). I would love to see Tanith and Ben win Worlds. As for the men, I would like it if Evan could move up on the podium and for Johnny to win a World medal.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I would love to see Lambiel again overcome the judges moderate disdain of his skating, all the politics against him being from such a small country, and all his injury problems, to win again inspite of his many obstacles. I would love to see Pang/Tong win vs both Zhang/Zhang and Shen/Zhou, for the first time ever over both teams in the same competition(in fact I dont believe they have beaten Shen/Zhou ever). They are often the forgotten Chinese team of the three, overshadowed for many years by Shen/Zhou, then later outshone by the younger Zhangs. They were also robbed at the Olympics, I felt anyway, where I definitely believed they should have beaten both.

I would definitely not cheer for Meissner to defend, simply because I much prefer the skating of Kim and Asada, they can do all the same jumps, but are far more elegant, mature, and musical, with better basic skating too. I have enjoyed their skating much more then Meissner's, in any of the performances I recall of the 3 women up until now. Still if Meissner skates the best of the 3 women, along with all the other competitors of course, like she did at these past Worlds, I wont mind her winning, the best skater at that competition should be crowned the World Champion.

I doubt the Bulgarians continue so I couldnt vote them since I doubt they are even there anymore, I would like Dubreuil/Lauzon to win, but most likely Belbin/Agosto will next year. I would like a North American team to win, whoever it is. I like Delobel/Schoenfelder, but they have grown a little stale on me, and who knows if they are continuing as well. I would like a North American team to win, and two on the podium somewhere, but the French to get a medal of some color too however, if they do continue.

Last edited:
This is the first time ever, since I have been following figure skating, that I feel like I don't really have a horse in the race. Especially in mens, I would be equally happy to see any of the top six or seven (if Plushenko does not compete) have a break-out year. Lambiel, Joubert, Weir, Lysacek, Oda, Takahashi, even Eman, all have my vote.

Same with ladies. I hope Kimmie skates like she did at worlds, Mao like she did in the GP Final, Yu-na like she did at junior worlds, and I hope at least one dark horse (Katy Taylor? Alissa Czisny? Sarah Meier? Elena Gedevanishvili? Carolina Kostner?) steps up to join them (assuming that Michelle is retired from competition and Sasha takes the year off).

OT -- "Gedevanishvili" is the world's easiest name to spell and pronounce. It is spelled just how it is pronounced, and pronounced just how it is spelled. Just tack the common Georgian suffix "shvili" onto "get-a-van-ee." (Second easiest name: Seek-har-i-leed-zuh." :) )

"Alissa Czisny," on the other hand, is a killer to spell -- too many ways to go wrong.

In dance, the couples that I like the best are way down the list of medal favorites, so I can just sit back and enjoy the skating.

The only one that I voted for without hestitation is Pang and Tong. I think they are marvellous.

I watched Gedenashvili(sp,hm?) very carefully in Calgary. She has moments of being very promising to really dumb faults. She needs work and discipline which may or may not be happening in the Russian influenced areas. TT to the rescue.
JMO.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
After a decade of rooting for specific people in specific dicplines, I've decided that I will use the 2007 season as one of observation. I hope none of the above repeat and that we begin the next olympic cycle with fresh & shiny faces.

If someone from '06 repeats, then good for them. However, I think I'd perfer four or five skaters / teams really duking it out, no true favorites outside of personal favorites and growth of the sport.

In other words: I'm indifferent and not emotionally attached to anyone. Quite unusual for me, but the only way I'll stick with the sport as an obsessive fan. Let the games begin...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
Because that's who you voted for. Denkova & Staviysky are the only ones in italics on my screen.

Ah, thank you. That is the first time I noticed I guess. :eek:hwell:

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
If Lambiel doesn't repeat, then I'd love for Klimkin to win with some voidy programs. I wouldn't mind Oda or Takahashi in the mix somewhere though.

Move over Kimmie! I want Fumie to win in her home country. (Crossing my toes and fingers...)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Fozzie Bear said:
Move over Kimmie! I want Fumie to win in her home country. (Crossing my toes and fingers...)

Is Fumie competiting next year? Why is she exempt from "she's too old & should retire!" conversations? I was under the impression that the old guard (who Fumie is definately a member of...) were not supposed to be contenders next year? Don't get me wrong, I'm actuall excited about the prospect of seeing her compete, but I'm obviously working on old information and am wondering about the real scene for next year vs. fan-chat

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Fozzie Bear said:
If Lambiel doesn't repeat, then I'd love for Klimkin to win with some voidy programs. I wouldn't mind Oda or Takahashi in the mix somewhere though.

I would also like to see this but thought that it was "defend their title" meaning that it was back to back wins. Plus there is no "Other" to select.

Kwanford Wife said:
Is Fumie competiting next year? Why is she exempt from "she's too old & should retire!" conversations? I was under the impression that the old guard (who Fumie is definately a member of...) were not supposed to be contenders next year?
:p You might be justified IYO in saying so, but still I :p :laugh: And that is precisely what many average and non fans of FSkating thought about MK 2 years ago. "She's too old, she shouldn't be in there, blaa blaa..." -Did I sound like an old codger?- "They should let the little girls have a chance." I say, MOM:laugh: , if she is good enough, she skates!

I also have not heard that she is out of the race either, I hope not. Yet to see her in a COI again or something would be a lovely prospect as well. Where is the fainting emoticon????? That I could afford!

Last edited: