Champions whom you would like to defend their title. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Champions whom you would like to defend their title.

Which 2006 World Champs would you like to see repeat in 2007?

• Denkova and Stavisky

Votes: 38 33.9%
  • Pang and Tong

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • Kimmie Meisner

Votes: 39 34.8%
  • Stephane Lambiel

Votes: 44 39.3%

• Total voters
I think Fumie has already announced that she will compete the full season next year.

IMHO the reason that she is exempt from the "why doesn't the old hag retire, already" talk is ...

Some people like Sasha, some can't stand her. Some folks love them some Irina, others think she's a nasty bit of goods. Some figure skating fans think Michelle is a sacred cow, others, that she's just a cow.

But nobody doesn't like Fu-mi-e! ♫♪
(Sung to the tune of "Nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee.")

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
IMHO the reason that she is exempt from the "why doesn't the old hag retire, already" talk is ...

Some people like Sasha, some can't stand her. Some folks love them some Irina, others think she's a nasty bit of goods. Some figure skating fans think Michelle is a sacred cow, others, that she's just a cow.

But nobody doesn't like Fu-mi-e! ♫♪
(Sung to the tune of "Nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee.")

This is a good point; HOWEVER, one of the reasons that "nobody doesn't like Fu-mi-e" [:laugh: :laugh: ] is that in some ways, she's been mostly a supporting player to Sasha, Irina, and Michelle. Had she a World championship or two under her belt, I wonder if she too would provoke a few virulent anti-Suguri opinions. You know what they say, "Build 'em up, tear 'em down"....... I don't think any dislike of Kwan or Slutskaya started until after they'd gotten up there and been there a while.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
This is a good point; HOWEVER, one of the reasons that "nobody doesn't like Fu-mi-e" [:laugh: :laugh: ] is that in some ways, she's been mostly a supporting player to Sasha, Irina, and Michelle. Had she a World championship or two under her belt, I wonder if she too would provoke a few virulent anti-Suguri opinions. You know what they say, "Build 'em up, tear 'em down"....... I don't think any dislike of Kwan or Slutskaya started until after they'd gotten up there and been there a while.

:agree: What is not to like?
Has more Four Continents titles than any other woman, first Japanese woman to win the Grand Prix and more world medals than any other Japanese figure skater.

And she is this "humble-beautiful-balanced-charismatic-unselfish, etc..."

I really doubt anyone would ever knock her down other than to say she might not be the best at any one thing. But that would just be an opinion, IMO her Jumps / landings, Drama / musical interpretation (true to the tune), and some of her positions are more beautiful than anyone else's. JMO and highly debatable, but Jonny is right, even one of the most perfect women in the world:love: ;) could become a "target " for negativity.

Mathman said:
I think Fumie has already announced that she will compete the full season next year.

That's what I think too, now I will have to go find out for myself:boohoo: SeaniBu.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:
You might be justified IYO in saying so, but still I :p :laugh: And that is precisely what many average and non fans of FSkating thought about MK 2 years ago. "She's too old, she shouldn't be in there, blaa blaa..." -Did I sound like an old codger?- "They should let the little girls have a chance." I say, MOM:laugh: , if she is good enough, she skates!

I also have not heard that she is out of the race either, I hope not. Yet to see her in a COI again or something would be a lovely prospect as well. Where is the fainting emoticon????? That I could afford!

Very cool that she'll be around next year. I've been a fan of hers forever & MM is right, everybody loves Fumie. More importantly, I am a firm believer in two things...

1. You should compete until you don't want to or can't any longer ~ and the "older" the better... (I have no desire to watch these children figure out what to do with their hands next season...)

2. Skating fans are fickle. (hence my she's old comment ~ it was a joke that fell flat... so :p right back atcha)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Some figure skating fans think Michelle is a sacred cow, others, that she's just a cow.

Michelle is "moo"varlous! Please oh please come back healthy and strong Michelle... :bow: :bow:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
2. Skating fans are fickle. (hence my she's old comment ~ it was a joke that fell flat... so :p right back atcha)

:laugh: :laugh: Right On! I guess mine fell flat too.:agree:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:
:agree: What is not to like?

I really doubt anyone would ever knock her down other than to say she might not be the best at any one thing. But that would just be an opinion, IMO her Jumps / landings, Drama / musical interpretation (true to the tune), and some of her positions are more beautiful than anyone else's. JMO and highly debatable, but Jonny is right, even one of the most perfect women in the world:love: ;) could become a "target " for negativity.

See, personally, I think the "What's not to like?" statement could also be made about Michelle, but as Mathman said, some think she's "just a cow", so apparently no-one, under certain conditions, is above snide reproach.

ITA about Fumie's sense of musical interpretation. When she is ON (and I think even her biggest fans will agree that she does tend sometimes toward being a bit erratic in the consistent performance department, tho I have never seen her skate truly badly), she is the best out there. I still think, that BY FAR, she gave the night's absolute BEST artistic performance in Salt Lake City.

swissmiss

Rinkside
The only one I want to see repeat is Stéphane. :love:

For the other disciplines, I'll be rooting for Mao Asada, Belbin & Agosto, and for Shen & Zhao to regain their title.

Hi, SwissMiss. Welcome to the forum. Post often, post long!

Cool Stephane avartar in your signature. :cool: :agree:

swissmiss

Rinkside
Thanks, Mathman - made it myself. I'll be around - this seems like a fun group. The snarkiness level here is a lot lower than at a certain other site. ;)

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I would like to see Stephane taking his 3rd world title!
And also I would luuuurrrveeeeeeee to see Caro aking gold!

(two of them make such a adorable couple! sorry that they are not dating anymore)

Pairs, someone Russian.
Dance-Delobel/Schonfelder (huh did I spell it right?)

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Slutefan, Seanibu...

...ITA. Wow! :agree:
I'd love to see Stephane, P&T and D&S repeat. I'm betting on Team Japan in the ladies' event, however. I'd love it to be Fumie, too. But that field is wide open now. I can't wait to see how the younger girls develop.
I also want to see Evan and Johnny move up, and if Brian Joubert does well, too, well...I'll be a happy fangirl. So many skaters, so few places on the podium.
But the thing I want to see the most next season? Not on this poll. I want Zagorska and Sieudek (sp?) to stand on the podium in Warsaw at Europeans. Can we at least get a sympathy bronze? In the old system, that would be a given, being that they're the long-time Polish champions. I'm not sure that will happen in CoP, and that would be a shame.
But that's probably just me, right? (*sigh*)
xoxo
Rave

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ravyn Rant said:
But the thing I want to see the most next season? Not on this poll. I want Zagorska and Sieudek (sp?) to stand on the podium in Warsaw at Europeans. Can we at least get a sympathy bronze? In the old system, that would be a given, being that they're the long-time Polish champions. I'm not sure that will happen in CoP, and that would be a shame.
But that's probably just me, right? (*sigh*)
xoxo
Rave

I'd like to see that, too. And I think it can happen; after all, CoP can be manipulated just like the old system, only in an entirely different way; I think we saw a lot of examples of that last season. But I don't necessarily think they'd need the manipulation; I have a feeling that Dorota & Mariusz are going to pull out all the stops for that competition and are going to come up with the best program they possibly can for the Polish audience. This competition is going to mean a lot to them and I think they'll skate accordingly.
Also -- since 1999, they've medalled at Euros 3 times (2 silvers, 1 bronze); if they've been able to do it 3 times against the competition they had at THAT time, it shouldn't be too hard for them to do it against the competition that they're gonna have in Warsaw; unless someone emerges this season a la Savchenko/Szolkowy, European pairs is not exactly loaded with a lot of depth at the moment.