So You Think You Can Dance | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Who's watching?

I loved Heidi (who BTW is a dead ringer for Reece Witherspoon) and her partner Sean's pop dance to "Walk Away". Also Danielle and partner's Cha Cha. As for the judges send Mia home and have Mary every week. She is such a HOOT! I need to get out more because I have never heard of Krumping. Sure have had a lot of fun today asking people if they wanted to krump.:biggrin: I thought it was very cool of Nigel to compliment Danielle on how great she looks even if she isn't a stick. Very timely with the release of Kat's story about her bulimia.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Heidi was better solo, didn't connect with her partner last night. BTW it is Donyelle and she is way hot!:love: - comments via hottest girl thread. Happy with their choice on who stays. Can't believe the choice last week though, but he seemed limited. I think I like the jive / swing styles the best.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Benji is my favorite... he's the one that is the prior swing dance champion of the US... he's an amazing dancer. His cousin on the show is Heidi... love both of them

also like the couple that danced to Travolta last week and did great this week too... I'm still learning names apparently

who got voted off last night? dad was medvac-ed to the hospital up here last night and I missed it (so far so good when it comes to him, I'll be leaving shortly to go bug him)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Joy was pretty much a foregone conclusion to being voted off by the judges & she was. I was surprised, tho, to see that Jason was voted off rather than Ryan. Both were pretty much on a par last night but I tho't Jason was more versatile when comparing past performances.

heyang

Record Breaker
I was surprised that Jason was voted off. He was great in the contemporary lyrcial week1 and did wonderfully in the hip hop this week. He and Aleksandra were in the bottom 3 because she wasn't great at hip hop. I think he didn't have a great solo and his lack of training meant that they picked him to go instead of Ryan (he was Heidi's partner who wasn't excited to have her as his partner, but he apologized to her because she was the best partner for him during week 1's Viennese Waltz.)

I was slightly surprised that they kept Aleksandra - her solo was very lackluster and her heart just didn't seem to be in it. It did seem like Joy was not upping the ante enough to satisfy the judges.

so, we have a new team of Dymitri and Aleksandra next week.

Benji and Donyelle seem to be the team to beat at this point. I'm curious to see how Benji would be during a lyrical # since it involves being less 'happy' in the facial expressions.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm having a hard time picturing the two that were voted off... help?

SkateCynic

Rinkside
I think part of why Jason was eliminated instead of Ryan was due to the new partnerships created when half of a pair is eliminated.

Benji and Heidi used to compete together, but during the two years he was doing his Missionary work, she was D'mitri's partner on the competitive circuit. If Ryan had gone home, Heidi and D'Mitri would have been put together, giving them an unfair advantage over the other teams.

I watched tonight for the first time.

I wondered why I liked the show. While I like the dancers, I realized it was the choreographers that get my raves. To get those kids to do dances in such a short period of time and that they are not used to doing, and then in a performance that is totally professional is amazing. Kudoos for the choreographers and especially to that Da Silva guy for that Tango.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
Ashleigh/Ben did Hip Hop. It's her forte and she was very good. Didn't feel it as much with Ben. (he's the one with the myspace site)

Heidi/Ryan did Cuban Rumba. It seemed to be a fusion of African and Latin dance. Nigel loved it. They definitely captured the essence of the dance. I personally didn't see the chemistry but the live audience did (that's one complaint I have about the show - the camera work does not always highlight the performances)

Aleksandara/Dmitry dance the Waltz. It was more of a lyrical version - not the traditional ballroom. This is their 1st week together since their partners Joy and Jason were eliminated last week. The judges raved about him, but they essentially dumped on her because of some unfinished movements and mostly because her lack of emotion. I understood what they were saying, especially after watching the next team.

Allyson/Ivan dance the Argentine Tango. He could've had more 'heat', but it was enough. Great job at the interlocking leg moves. They both did the style well and looked like a couple.

Donyelle/Benji danced Pop Jazz - sorta music video storytelling style. Again, they did a phenomonal dance. Nigel hit the nail on the head when he said that they are a great team. They have never appeared as 2 separate dancers doing their own thing - they always compliment each other as they dance together.

Natalie/Musa did the Quick Step. Musa got a lot of kudos for his effort in learning a style that is totally different from what he does (hip hop). Judge Mary's expertise is ballroom and she said the middle part of the dance definitely needed work, but she also said that he did well with only a few days of training and that she would like to see him after he got more training. For this dance, they should be in the bottom 3, but they might not be because they are both so likeable.

Jessica/Jaymz did a contemporary routine, which is not something I enjoy. They were very good though and you could feel the connection between the 2.

Martha/Travis did hip hop. Problem was that their hip hop styles did not match. Hers was smooth R&B and his was traditional Hip Hop. Nigel said that he saw 2 people dancing - not a team. All the judges said that they are both great dancers, but they needed to become a team and that they have not shown the same improvement as the other teams have. In other words, they need to step it up next week.

My bests were
Donyelle/Benji, Ivan/Allyson and Jessica/Jaymz for this week. They danced as couples.

My bottom 3 were
Natalie/Musa, Aleksandra/Dmitry and Martha/Travis. Close call - I could flip Ashleigh/Ben for Martha/Travis.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I liked the judging better in season 1. I think they way they have it this season is way too much of a popularity contest. Not that it wasn't that in season 1, but I think it was a bit less pronounced.

guinevere

Final Flight
Great performances tonight.

My top 2: Heidi/Ryan and Allison/Ivan. Both couples had the benefit of fantastic choreography, but their interpretation was phenomenal. I never would have expected to put Ivan in my top groups, because I don't care for him when he speaks (and I still think he should have been eliminated instead of Stas), but he did a great job.

My bottom 3: Natalie/Musa, Dmitri/Alexandra and Jessica/Jaymz. I hope that Jaymz and either Alexandra or Jessica are eliminated. I haven't seen anything over the last few weeks to counteract their mediocre performances tonight.

I agree that Heidi looks like Reese Witherspoon - and I think Natalie looks like Brittany Murphy

Heyang - In my days of yore, the Rhumba, a Cuban dance - no need to call it the Cuban Rhumba - it already is. Anyway, it was a very elegant latin dance to the many smooth rhythms of the Latin tunes. It was not meant to be a Conga, a Mereingue, a Samba, a Cha cha, etc. Romantic elegance was the key. I guess times have changed.

I was just not impressed with the upbeat of the music and the acrobatic moves of the male dancer in what I consider a Romantic Elegant Dance.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
heyang said:
Allyson/Ivan dance the Argentine Tango. He could've had more 'heat', but it was enough.
I loved their dance and I agree about the heat but he did as well as could be expected. It's kind of hard to get a kid to be hot and steamy. :laugh: :laugh:

I just have to say this, I watch the show but I'm still mad about last year when they voted off Ardem (sp??), he was one of the top male dances. He had it all. Ok, I'm over it now!!! :laugh: :laugh: Anyhow, he did demonstrate a dance with Mary (mouth, she soooo gets on my nerves) this season. Loved it!!

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Everyone danced pretty good last night.

The starting outfits were horid:p And what was with the yellow belt?

Ashlee and Ben, Allison (eyes popped out on that dress, I am surprised it held together) and Ivan (how he wasn't more lustful looking of her I have no Idea)- best improvement as a pair, and of course Donyelle and Benji (ALTHOUGH THE DUMBEST OUT FITS OF THE NIGHT), were top performances IMO. Kudos to the choreographers! I think Benji is in love.

Musa is such a likable and handsome man, it is a shame his foot work and shoulders were just pitiful. That end posse was really nice though. Natalie's dress was very nice - fave. Despite Allison's being really sexy - it was a little over the top, can't say I minded but it made it hard to see Ivan.

Martha and Travis didn't have the same approach to that in their minds it seemed. Wow Martha's Legsd deserve a mention, step back Tina! But for Travis not to have a smoother approach when he is so talented at contemporary / jazz? I think he put his foot in his mouth about trying to use it as an excuse when it made it even more evident that he should have been able to match style.

Heidi and Ryan did really well, but I didn't care for the "Bongo Butt" thing, gimmicky in a dance form (agree with Joe's just Cuban) that is not a gimmicky dance. But they were good with what they were given.

Anyhoo, Musa showed he is not as flexible with styles as he needs to be. Maybe it was great how he was able to pick it up and do a decent job, but he couldn't even keep his shoulders and arms up (one arm was constantly tucking into his body) even after the work and emphasis with the bar.

Aleksandra totally lacked elegance and was not convincing to me at all.

BTW, what is with changing the spelling of common names all the time. Didn't any of them see the scene in LA Story with Steve Martian and Sarah Jessica Parker - SaNdY. Reminds me of when I was 13 - 14 trying to get my named spelled Shøn:laugh:

Last edited:

guinevere

Final Flight
SeaniBu said:
Anyhoo, Musa showed he is not as flexible with styles as he needs to be. Maybe it was great how he was able to pick it up and do a decent job, but he couldn't even keep his shoulders and arms up (one arm was constantly tucking into his body) even after the work and emphasis with the bar.
I just wanted to point out that completely changing your body posture, even for a trained dancer, is very difficult. It's not going to happen in less than a week, even with a tool such as the arm bar they used (which looked cool). Musa did not do a "good" quickstep at all, but he was so much better than I could ever have expected from someone who's a breakdancer and has never had to think about his port a bras (arm placement). I think this dance showed that he does have a lot of versatility and could learn a lot of different styles. He just can't do it in one week - and of course, that does put him at a disadvantage for this competition.

I agree that Benji seems quite smitten with Donyelle, and they have great chemistry, all the time.

ETA: "Shøn" :lol: That's a new one! I new a girl named Shawn who changed it to Sian when she was 14. I actually like that spelling a lot.

heyang

Record Breaker
My cousin went from Karen to Caryn to Karyn and now as an adult accepts that her name is Karen.