So You Think You Can Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance

guinevere

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
We're also talking about someone who is extremely proud of their craft. He is extremely good at what he does, and I can't blame him for not wanting to look completely stupid. That "program" sucked. And it wasn't the dancers' fault.
While I thought that almost all of the choreography this week was uninspired, I do blame any dancer who holds back because they don't want to look stupid. The rule of performance is: if you THINK you look stupid, you definitely will. A professional caliber dancer will put everything they have into any performance they do, even if the choreography isn't great. If he holds back because he thinks he's better than the choreography, that is a HUGE fault of his as a dancer.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
guinevere said:
A professional caliber dancer will put everything they have into any performance they do, even if the choreography isn't great. If he holds back because he thinks he's better than the choreography, that is a HUGE fault of his as a dancer.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

As for the vote, one out of 2 ain't bad:laugh: At least one of the 2 last "greater than the show attitudes" of the guys is gone.:yes: It is really hard with the ladies though, jeesh what talent! They are all good at this yet the ladies I feel are so evenly matched....hard.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
But as far as I'm concerned that program wasn't worth the airtime and it wasn't the dancers... I don't think going all out would have helped in teh slightest... jmho

as for who got voted off... I really liked that couple, and I'm very disappointed that Jaymz got voted off... he was a great dancer, and I don't know why he was chosen to go out of the 3 guys... but oh well...

Bring on Benji!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I liked the Doll and Magician concept, it is an old one at that. It IMO is to bad he didn't give it his best (which would have been the most admirable thing to do) so we could have seen what it was really worth. Let me clarify "liked" as being on the lower end of the enjoyment spectrum. I LOVED the Jitterbug and he was pritty stiff, yet he gave it his all. The best pro was still the "Vietnamese":rofl: Waltz. I can't believe someone who says they're a dancer didn't know Viennese. She still danced it really well though! I can see why Benji has such a big crush!

heyang

Record Breaker
I think that Donyelle just read it wrong and now it's become a 'block' in her head. It was funny how they joked about it.

As Dan Karaty said, Donyelle and Benji just seem to be so entertaining no matter what they are doing. I think they both realize how fortunate they are to have this opportunity and they are just enjoying it so much. Neither of them are the physical epitome of dancers, but they are wonderful.

A question for the Canadian viewers - I heard somewhere that the show is either ahead or behind a week. Ladskater mentioned a judge wearing a hat this week. In the US, the judges were Simon, Mary and Dan - none wore a hat. As someone else mentioned Shane is a judge during week's when he is not choreographing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think it can be ahead in Canada as it's an "American" show...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Yah, I think there was some confusion due to - I think Ladskater - talking about something last week and posting it this week. And I did the same thing by saying Shane was a Judge, meaning last week, and a choreographer, meaning during this week.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I kind of caught up with my tapes on the dancing today. I cannot figure out why it is called breakdancing. To me, it's gymnastics. I don't really care for it but it is very interesting to watch. I think I like jive and jitterbug the best. I never danced it but sure would have liked it. There's lots of old people that still dance like that
but I sure doubt they do the throws, etc. :rofl: My husband hated to dance and he had no rhythm so I haven't really danced since I was 18. I wasn't very good.

heyang

Record Breaker
My uncle hates to dance. My aunt told me it takes a few drinks for him to be willing to even slow dance. When they were engaged, they went to Arthur Murray for dance lessons. He was so rhymically challenged that they didn't even want to try teaching him!! I think he's been traumatized ever since.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I was glad to see America see through Musa's charm ( why the heck is "Dumeetree" on there still?), and on the same note it is too bad they saw through Ashlee's, she wasn't holding it, but I will miss that beautiful smile:cry: . Go Donyelle, Alison and Benji!

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Ivan's probably shown the most growth so far. His contemporary routine with Allyson gave me the chills. I thought they had the best performance of the night.

It'll be interesting to see the dancers with different partners. In some ways, I think Benji brought out Donyelle's personality more - she just seems quieter or more reserved than he is. I wonder how Benji would do in a lyrical contemporary #; I think it's the only style he and Donyelle did not get. I'm sure he'll be able to dance the routine, but not sure if he can emote it. No matter, Benji's still my favorite male dancer because of his dancing and his personality.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This is a little premature, but I just saw Donyelle dance solo -who that lady has umf!:love:

And "Dee-tree" just came out and is doing the same old thing to a song that don't fit the style - seems like his fan base is fading to me, particularly in the opening number.

Anyhoo I hope more comment later:agree:

CB1AB2

Medalist
Ivan, Benji and Travis loved them = The rountine Hedi and Travis did with the bench was awesome = Benji's dancing is the tops = I think Ivan is the one who has improved the most = I think Ryan should go home this week=

I like Allison and Donyelle = I thought Donyelle did a great jitter bug =
and I think Martha shoud be the one to leave also

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Yeh reviews!!!! More, where are ya Piel?

One quick thought -So you think you can dance, should probably be named, America's Top Dancers. They know they can!

Anyhoo, Donyelle is the best dancer IMO, I think it will come down to her and Allison. The Jitter Bug / Lindy Hop was way off to start and then came together nicely.
Dee-Tree (like the nickname) I really liked this week, either he changed his attitude or I did. Wasn't the best dancer and I do think his audience is dwindling, but I think I liked the guy tonight.
Heidi Impresses me, so much heart and talent but I want to see a solo without the "twizel" (I don't know what it is called in dance). I did not like the dress she wore for a solo, that came across to me as a stripper. It would have worked well with a partner, but solo it seemed trampy. IMO.
Natalie and Benji's dance was my favorite tonight. That was thew best Jazz piece I have seen and they did so well - everything clicked.
And Just for Joe:laugh: my favorite Dress was Natalie's for the Jazz.
I liked the way they incorporated the bench in Hedi and Travis routine, but that is kinda prop dancing to me, much like what Ivan got knocked for earlier.?

Last edited:

rjulie510

Rinkside
I was surprised to see chemistry between Donyelle and Dmitry, especially in the second number. I thought both of their dances were good. Samba number showed Dmitry's strength as a good ballroom partner, and I liked his solo, too. Donyelle is just amazing -dancing like that with a broken toe on top of all that? She is my favorite dancer, and I can only hope her toe will heal fast.

Allison was okay, not amazing. I think she's a good dancer but honestly I don't get "Allison is amazing! She's going to win this competition!" hype. I don't get Ivan, and I didn't even like him in hip hop number, his own element. Natalie was okay, but I think she could've done better.

Martha is an excellent dancer, but her solo was not good, and neither was her group numbers. I think she may be going home tomorrow.

I was surprised by Nigel's repeated comment on shirt ripping. Once was enough, and I'm sure Dmitry got the message. Somehow bootie shaking is okay but shirt ripping is not? I don't get it.

I *much* prefer Mia or Mary as judges.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That was a great Intro number!!!!:clap: :clap: I Loved it! I was thinking they were going to "go all Thriller" with it and didn't at all. Very cool!

Heidi reminds me of Ann Margaret (that was the girl in Viva Los Vegas wasn't it?) and I think that Demitry would be a get partner for her, they move so similar. But Heidi don't do much as far as all around for me. I think she plays up sex, and does cross over into all styles but so will sex. I wasn't thinking she was safe tonight, Martha and her should have been on the "chopping block." Martha was not a surprise. Dee-tree did the same old thing for each solo, not that it isn't good, but it is kinda "had." His sex appeal to me is stronger than his diversity, that is not degrading at all IMO. Quite a great accomplishment, and his personality is starting to shine as he becomes more comfortable in front of the world. He'll do fine in the future. I think Heidi and him should tour.

I really don't think this was like the Chris on AI BS about being thought safe so everybody didn't vote for him (that was a load IMO) and I hope people don't try and justify it that way with him too.

And you Dance aficionados, what is that twizel looking move they do, Dmitry and Heidi? The Ann Margaret Move?

CB1AB2

Medalist
I was surprised that Dmitry got voted off and I also think that Ryan (who I thought should have) was too by the look on his face when told he was safe

I did notice that Donyelle did not perform in the opening number and that she was limping when Cat called her = I do hope that she will be able to continue =it would be a shame if she didn't

Apparently, there will be a touring company featuring these dancers so no body is a go home and get an agent. Nice for them.

Travis still gets my vote but all the others look good.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Benji got rid of his highlights! lol

I missed Wednesday, but yeay for my favorites staying in... but I'm going to miss Dimtry... I enjoyed his style