ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2006-2007 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2006-2007

Tonichelle said:
Kwan's name is recognisable in the US... which means $$$... who cares if she wins it or not... let's sell tickets...
The interesting thing will be whether she will do any of the cheesefests, even as exhibitions. I think the October Campbell's is out of the question, but maybe by December she will be doing a little better injury-wise.

The December Marshall's is awkwardly timed for skaters who are doing the full competitive season anyway, so perhaps they will come up with some kind of format that Michelle will feel she is able to do.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I wonder if Weir would be more likely to take a offer to a "Skate Russia" than something that had America in the title?

That is true Toni, about MK getting invited to SA, Money is important too. I wonder if they are entertaining the idea of her being a commentator? If they just promised that MK would come out onto the ice to announce the start of the event that could bring them in too. "Thanks for coming." spin spin, "let the games begin!":laugh:

She really is charming, I wonder if she would be any good at that?

Okami

On the Ice
Oda has a triple axel, but it can't be said to be reliable---he tends to miss at least one in each FS.

I think that's a bit harsh - three of his LP's were clean axel-wise last season. The only performances when he missed both axels were NHK/GPF - I suppose, however, that he intentionally replaced the second axel with 2A2T combo, since if he did 3A it would count as a combo anyway, and then his last combo would not count.

gkelly said:
Oda is consistent but still trying to find a style.

I'd say that Oda has a style but it's very boyish. Served him well in juniors, but he'll need a more mature style to succeed in seniors.

Oh, but I love his style as it is now! He reminds me a lot of Scott Hamilton (who happens to be, along with Kurt Browning, my favourite skater).
I would not mind seeing him trying a different style for LP, though. I liked a short clip of his performance at the closing of Diamond Ice in Osaka, where everyone skated to the vocal version of "You Raise Me Up". He had very smooth and fluid motions, not something he could show in his competetive programs, and his outfit (Daisuke's Moulin Rouge suit, actually) made him look more mature. I would like to see him skate to a piece with similiar flow...

Speaking of which, I made a Scott Hamilton & Nobunari Oda skating montage. Would it be okay to share it on this forum..? I don't want to be smitten by Admin Gods. ;)

Weir's been touring too, and as I said earlier in this thread, he's had first option for Skate America every year for the past 3 years, and hasn't wanted it. I don't see any intrigue in this at all.

Words of wisdom. :thumbsup:

I wonder if Weir would be more likely to take a offer to a "Skate Russia" than something that had America in the title?

:laugh:

Okami

On the Ice
I don't think I would be able to. I have an extremely unstable upload connection. To share this video I had to set up my HDD as a server, have a fellow montage fan download it and upload it on sendmefile for me. :laugh: I can only upload files that are no larger than about 15-20 MB.
Perhaps resizing the file and compressing it a bit more would make the file small enough to upload, though (and the quality of the videos on Youtube isn't breathtaking as well, resolution-wise). :think:

Oh, there's one more reason why I think Youtube would not work too well - the main strenght of the majority of my montages are the visuals ("Let's Jump!" for example), and resizing/lowering the quality of the file would make them less than impressive. :laugh:

I'll think about it, though! :)

Tonichelle said:
Kwan's name is recognisable in the US... which means $$$... who cares if she wins it or not... let's sell tickets...

just a thought as to why some would think she'd get an invite to SA :)
In Europe and Asia too. Every female skater would love to say, she beat Kwan and many fans of those skaters would also be happy. She will sell tickets everywhere.

However, I think this is the last season that she skates last in COI. I see the sunset.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I was never a fan of Lipinski or Bauil, but what I love about Oda is the rhythmic rotation in his jumps, the soft knees he has upon landing, and the flowout on his best jumps.

Okami

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
RE: Oda.... People and judges love teenyboppers. Think Oksana and Tara. Oda will do well if he hits.

Oda's 19... I don't remember anyone calling Takahashi (or anyone else) a teenybopper at that age.
I like Oda because when he's on he's a delight to watch. He has, in a way, everything I've been looking for in a skater since Hamilton and Browning. He still needs some improvement as far as his artistry and footwork is concerned, but so does the majority of the male skaters after advancing to the seniors.

I was never a fan of Lipinski or Bauil, but what I love about Oda is the rhythmic rotation in his jumps, the soft knees he has upon landing, and the flowout on his best jumps.

ITA. Plus the showmanship, great spins when he's on (tends to wobble on the finishing spin of the LP, though - stamina problems..?) and general hilarity value both on and off the ice. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
RE: Oda.... People and judges love teenyboppers. Think Oksana and Tara. Oda will do well if he hits.

Joe

does that work with the men like it does the ladies? the guys are most successful (well, seem to be, there are always exceptions) in their early 20s... not their early teens.... *shrugs* just a thought

ETA: I thought Oda was younger than he is... my bad

Speaking of teenagers, at Skate America all eyes will be on Kimmie and Mao in the ladies competition.

But they could be shut out by Ando (18), Volchkova (24) and Meier (22). :rock:

Miki had a forgettable 2005-2006 season -- maybe expectations were too high -- but she has finished as high as 4th at Worlds, and at age 18 she could have her best skating still ahead before her.

Volchkova has been hampered with injuries for the last two years. But the Russian ladies have a way of coming back strong (think Slutskaya and Sokolova). If she is all the way back she might be all the way back.

Meier was 4th at Europeans and 6th at Worlds. She's not exactly a kid, but she's getting stronger and stronger and is finally recieving some attention on the international scene.

I can't wait!

Both Vikka and Sara have been suffering with injuries for some some time. Sara looks to be back on target (Calgary). I'll be looking for higher level combos this season. Vikka, I don't know except that she has to be the most elegant skater in the business and gorgeous looks. I will like to see her be back on target this season and on to higher level combos next season. BTW. Watch the Lutz. It's high and classic.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Both Vikka and Sara have been suffering with injuries for some some time. Sara looks to be back on target (Calgary). I'll be looking for higher level combos this season. Vikka, I don't know except that she has to be the most elegant skater in the business and gorgeous looks. I will like to see her be back on target this season and on to higher level combos next season. BTW. Watch the Lutz. It's high and classic.

Joe

How is Volchkova's speed now? I seem to remember when she was breaking the podium at Europeans she used to slow down so much in the second half of her LPs - has she improved this aspect of her skating?

Ant

antmanb said:
How is Volchkova's speed now? I seem to remember when she was breaking the podium at Europeans she used to slow down so much in the second half of her LPs - has she improved this aspect of her skating?
Ant
That's another point to watch for: the speed. Speaking of speed, I get the same slow down half way through the program of Carolina. Not easy to do with Vilvaldi blasting away.

However, imo, one should not judge a slow down as wrong if it is meant to show the character of the music. Variety of speeds go with variety of music for me.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
That's another point to watch for: the speed. Speaking of speed, I get the same slow down half way through the program of Carolina. Not easy to do with Vilvaldi blasting away.

However, imo, one should not judge a slow down as wrong if it is meant to show the character of the music. Variety of speeds go with variety of music for me.

Joe

I totally agree with all of what you've written. The only thing i would say is that Carolina starts out much faster than Volchkova could ever skate and then seems to lose steam.

Volchkova i always thought of as quite a slow skater who fizzled out of energy in her programs - i thought her Gone with the wind program was extremely boring and not suited to her at all, it was made worse by the fact she skated slow at teh start and even slower after the mid point.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

Just adding a bit more to say that i used to love the old style LPs that started with a fast section, had a slow lyrical section in the middle to allow a skater to catch their breath while show casing edges and field moves, a couple of spins (layback for the ladies) and an edge jump (usually loop) followed by a picking up of the pace again for the end. May have been a bit predictable but i liked the formula.

Ant

Eeyora

Final Flight
antmanb said:
I
Volchkova i always thought of as quite a slow skater who fizzled out of energy in her programs - i thought her Gone with the wind program was extremely boring and not suited to her at all, it was made worse by the fact she skated slow at teh start and even slower after the mid point.

Ant

I always thought of her as the Russian Nikodinov. Both Beautiful and pleasant to watch but plagued by nerves and injuries.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vika's best placement at Worlds was 6th, but that was in the days before CoP. She has a regal appearance on the ice, but yes, she is slow and never did have interesting "in-between" moves. Her jumps were always her selling point. She skated under CoP at Euros this year and was 6th in the SP with a decent 57.08 (which would have placed her 7th in the SP at Worlds).

But Vika has always done better in the SP than in the FS, where she tends to lose focus mid-program. I just don't see her overcoming years of injuries and absence from the competitive scene overnight, while at 23 suddenly becoming a model of flawless technique, artistic superiority and stainless steel nerves.