Noticed this (Gedevanishvili thread) | Golden Skate

Noticed this (Gedevanishvili thread)

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
while it's off season I am watching programs on tapes over and over again and I noticed that Gedevanishvili doesn't have loop. Atleast not in programs.

Very interesting. In her long program at worlds she did not do a loop, but she only did 6 jumping passes in all. In the qualifying round she used all seven jumping passes, and one of them was a double loop. This was probably supposed to be a triple. Maybe she left it out on purpose in her LP because she was afraid to try it.

In fact, if you compare her qualifying program with her LP, there are several mistakes. In the qualifying she did a 2A+3Sal sequence, but in the LP she only did a 1A+3S, so then she tacked a 2T onto it to make up the points.. But she did do a 3Lz+2T and a 2A+3T in the LP, which she was not able to do in qualifying, reducing them to a 2Lz and a 2A+2T.

So I think her big problem is consistencey -- to be able to skate all her elements cleanly every time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elene usually skates a bang-up SP but typically backs off quite a bit in her FS. I think she just doesn't have the confidence for the FS that she has for the SP, or maybe she just doesn't know yet how to pace herself.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
or maybe she just doesn't know yet how to pace herself.

That is what it looked like at Torino in the LP. Scott also made that comment. I guess that would really fit the "firecracker" comment.

BTW, why are there 2 terms for LP / FS? I never thought about it. Is it free? I don't understand that but I am sure there must be some kind of history. I think I read something but I can't recall.

I think the term "free skate" goes back to the time when there were "figures." The sport was truly "figure skating" back then -- who could trace the the most accurate set pattern on the ice. The "free skate" was more or less just for fun, and you could include whatever you wanted to in terms of jumps and spins, etc. If you were too far behind after the "school figures" you couldn't win no matter what you did.

Then they decided that, as a specatator sport, figures were too boring. Plus, Janet Lynn couldn't win the world championship. So they introduced the short program. So this made the "free program" the "long program," because it was longer than the "short program" (and also a little bit "freer" in terms or required elements). Then they ditched figures altogether (keeping, however, the archaic name "figure skating.")

Something like that. :)

BTW, according to Ellyn Kestnbaum's book Culture on Ice :love: , the British -- who were very active in the sport as long as figures were the main thing -- suddenly lost interest when "free skating" came to the fore. Their rationale was, "if we can't do it very well (free skating), it must not be much of a sport." (Apologies to Robin Cousins and John Curry, not to mention Torville and Dean, LOL.)

I love the name of Peggy Fleming's autobiography: "The Long Program." (I.e., life.)

(Thanks, Sylvia. ;) )

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I think the term "free skate" goes

Thanks MM, I did know about the figures and have even seen some video, I think it was Peggy as a matter of fact. Didn't know how that term got into the mix though, good that you put it all out there because it makes a good connection. Also reminds me of Jenny K's heart outline she did. That always impressed me because she didn't just stop and move her hands around to "take a breather" she did something with her skates:love: I don't know why, but just imagined Nicole B, Jenny K and Tanith all out skating togather, whoo!?? That could kill someone.:laugh:

Now My thought is lets loose the term, but that would also mean changing the name of FS I 'spose. It is a nice piece of history. Maybe we could call the SP the First skate:laugh: just to keep it even. Naa..

Thanks Again.

BOT, I wonder about yoga of all things to increase stamina. Anyone ever work with that? Works for me.

As I understand it, that heart figure is where the three-turn came from (the top of the heart).

Victor Petrenko did an iron cross in one of his COI programs :cool: (better than playing air piano in between moves, or barking at a puppet, LOL.)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
As I understand it, that heart figure is where the three-turn came from (the top of the heart).

You are an virtual treasure trove of info:bow: "Thank you Lord for MM! " and the others here are to be acknowledged as well, but MM you just ..... wow! I don't care if you have discovered the quickest way of looking things up or it really just comes out of your mind. Helpful and a Trivia "stud." I wish you were Yuka, then that would explain my feelings for you:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: J/K really JUST KIDDING!

Mathman said:
Victor Petrenko did an iron cross in one of his COI programs :cool: (better than playing air piano in between moves, or barking at a puppet, LOL.)

That is exactly what I was thinking, I thought of how Ira would do her little "card dealing thing" - wrist flip or what ever, and thought how awesome Jenny's "break" was in comparison.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment, Sean, but I am just an armchair amateur compared to the real experts that hang out here. :rock: Joesitz (both figure skating and dance), Chuckm, GKelly, Hockeyfan, Sylvia -- lots of others -- they really know their stuff.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Thanks for the compliment, Sean, but I am just an armchair amateur compared to the real experts that hang out here. :rock: Joesitz (both figure skating and dance), Chuckm, GKelly, Hockeyfan, Sylvia -- lots of others -- they really know their stuff.

Yah, but you are REALY generous "with the goods" on such a frequent basis and a very eloquent to boot.
I also bow to them as well. They really are a great asset too. All of you are welcome to put me in my place anytime. I feel kinda bad that I singled you out MM, the others have been very good for me also - particularly a couple conversations I have had lately. I didn't mean Math was the only one deserving praises. A couple of those might not think I admire them at all, but I do:cool: Sometimes I see a "PM from ____" and I start sweating, but I love it.

Thanks all of you!:agree: