Moscow/ Bolshoi Ballet info. request | Golden Skate

Moscow/ Bolshoi Ballet info. request

Smacky

Spectator
Hello everyone,

I know there are a lot of Russians and Ballet fans who participate here, I am hoping you can help me with some information.

I am possibly going to be in Moscow in December right before Christmas for a day or two. Does anyone know if the Bolshoi Ballet performs during that time? I tried to find their schedule online and it is only listed through September. If the Ballet is not in session, any information on classical music concert halls would be appreciated as well (Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky - preferably the famous Russian composers).

Also, with only one or two days in Moscow, are there any highly recommended things to do that might not be in a travel guide?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Apparently, you can rent a horse (as a tourist) and ride around downtown for sightseeing!
Ian Wright did it on the Globe Trekker Russia episode...
Too cool!

Wolfgang - Moscow is a very expensive city. Hard to believe there is no schedule on the net. Did you google? I can imagine Nutcracker at that time of the year. Also if you like opera, there's a possibility and you will see the great theatre at the same time.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Indeed, schedule so far ahead does not exist. I beileve there is always some Bolshoi ballet in session - they have different troupes, some of which stay in town while others travel. Check the schedule around November, and then decide what you want to see.

Smacky

Spectator
Thanks guys for all the information, I appreciate it!

I will check back in a few months to see if the December schedule is posted for Bolshoi. I also love Opera so that's another option. I love the idea of renting a horse but I'd probably break my neck! Moscow is really expensive (from what I am reading) which is why my visit will be a quick one!

Smacky

Spectator
Only Yaroslavl (northeast of Moscow) for about a week. I would love to visit St. Petersburg too but I don't think I will have the time or money for this trip (unfortunately).

Smacky - Before I forget, be sure you see 19th century ballet. and not Soviet ballets. Big difference!!! I understand the present Director is trying to get the company into the 22nd Century but is meeting a lot of opposition from the old classic lovers.

I believe a group of NYC ballet dancers are also heading to St. Petersburg with 3 Ballanchine ballets. Ballanchine, although a Georgian, always considered St. Petersburg his home. The program is scheduled for PBS so watch out for it.

Joe

Alsace

On the Ice
Please let us know, Joesitz, if you learn when it will be televised. Thanks!

I subscribed to PBS so it show up in one of their brochures. I know they will be dancing Symphony in C (very neo-classic); Agon (he stunned the world with this one) and Western Symphony (a cowboy and western tart gals in the neoclassical style. Really incredibly good.)

I'll let you know.

Joe

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Not sure if anybody may be in the area, but NYC Ballet spends about 6 weeks (starting yesterday) at the SPAC in Saratoga Springs, NY. SPAC is about 30 miles or so north of Albany and about 30 miles south of Lake George. They performe lot of Ballanchine ballets, as well as classical ballets. The area of Saratoga is stunning, and SPAC tickets are very affordable, especially in comparison to NY prices.

Promoting St. Louis and Albany always,

Yana

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
STL_Blues_fan said:
Not sure if anybody may be in the area, but NYC Ballet spends about 6 weeks (starting yesterday) at the SPAC in Saratoga Springs, NY. SPAC is about 30 miles or so south of Albany and about 30 miles north of Lake George. They performe lot of Ballanchine ballets, as well as classical ballets. The area of Saratoga is stunning, and SPAC tickets are very affordable, especially in comparison to NY prices.

Promoting St. Louis and Albany always,

Yana

Yana, not to nitpick, but isn't SPAC north of Albany and south of Lake George? It's a beautiful area, and in August it's also the summer home of the Philadelphia Orchestra. :clap:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Gail, you are absolutely correct! Saratoga is certainly south of Lake George. I was just typing too fast. On to make the correction.

We are really lucky to have both teh NYC ballet and the Philly Orchestra.

Yana

Hi Yana and Iluvtodd - Be sure to see a new ballet called Slice to Sharp. The choreographer is a Finn. I think his name is Elo. The usual conservative audience at NYC Ballet were on their feet with much Bravissimos at the conclusion. I hope they show it in Saratoga.

Joe

Smacky

Spectator
Thanks again for the info. Sorry I haven't checked back here in awhile - I kept forgetting to do so!

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Hello everyone,

I know there are a lot of Russians and Ballet fans who participate here, I am hoping you can help me with some information.

I am possibly going to be in Moscow in December right before Christmas for a day or two. Does anyone know if the Bolshoi Ballet performs during that time? I tried to find their schedule online and it is only listed through September. If the Ballet is not in session, any information on classical music concert halls would be appreciated as well (Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky - preferably the famous Russian composers).

Also, with only one or two days in Moscow, are there any highly recommended things to do that might not be in a travel guide?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Yay, I just got back from Moscow, two days ago! Have a nice time, as I did!:rock: