COI Omaha Nebraska July 2nd | Golden Skate

COI Omaha Nebraska July 2nd

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I won’t go into a great deal of detail but just a few impressions. The arena was about half filled but the audience was very loud. As always the acrobat team Vladimir Besdin and Oleksiy Polishchuk are great favorites as well as Irina Grigorian with her hula hoop act. Dan Hollander’s spoof on some of the ice skating scandals was funny. No one got a standing ovation except at the end. I really liked the finale. Irina Slutskaya was really off, she singled a couple of her jumps, so unlike her. Johnny skated to My Way, he fell on one of his jumps but for the most part he did a good job. Sasha, Shizuka, and Michelle really got lots of applause.

The person who I think stole the show was Evgeni Plushenko, he was super. He even threw in a triple axel.

Here are some pictures I took.

2006 Champions on Ice

Dee

Bill508

Rinkside
Ditto. Thanks. Love the pics and its great to hear about an enthusiastic audiance in Omaha. Im really happy Shizuka joined the show inspite of a hectic 3 months in Japan since Torino. Energizer bunny.

Great slideshow, Dee. You are getting to be a pro at making these videos! :)

When I saw the show in Detroit I was most impressed with Totmianina and Marinen. Did you like them?

Also, I thought Victor Petrenko (Mrs. MM's fave) had his best program in years.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Mathman Also said:
It was great to see Victor actually skate. It seems like he sold out so quickly after he turned Pro. Years of those putrid numbers like "Who Let the Dogs Out" I was always so sad to see him in COI because it seemed that he was throwing all that talent away. I remember going to competitions and thinking that his triple axels were as high as the boards. Welcome back Victor

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks DEE, looking forward to the show in Denver.

That's nice how you put that into a SS for everyone, and "sticky cursors" can't drag them onto their desktop.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I lost some of my photos but found them this morning. :laugh: :laugh: These are just photos no video. I think I posted about 12:30 am. I shouldn't do these things when I'm half asleep. :laugh: :laugh:
Mathman said:
When I saw the show in Detroit I was most impressed with Totmianina and Marinen. Did you like them?
Yes, I did. What was great too was some new people to skating went and I mentioned they were the couple that had the bad accident. It seemed to make them appreciate them more.
Mathman said:
Great slideshow, Dee. You are getting to be a pro at making these videos!
Thanks Math, I'm trying. I wanted to keep the video short so I could post it without all of you having to download it.
Also, I thought Victor Petrenko (Mrs. MM's fave) had his best program in years.
I agree about it being Victors best program in years. He actually skated. The one thing I noticed he's got a little middle age spread but it didn't prevent him from a good program with at least double jumps. I posted a picture of him in mid air.

The other person I was impressed with was Rudy. I'm so happy he's been able to continue skating after his surgery. Yay Rudy!!!!

You can click in the right corner and view the pics as a slideshow.

Additional COI Photos

Dee

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Thanks for the report and the pictures, Dee. The way you put some of the photographs together in a slide show was cool. :clap:

The only show I would have been able to get to see was cancelled and since this will not be televised, I'm happy to see the photographs and hear your impressions.

Thanks! :agree:

Nan

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She skated very well. Her jumps are still good and of course she did the backflip which always pleases the audience.

Dee

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Have to totally agree with you Dee - Evgeni Plushenko is amazing on this tour.
He stole the show in Duluth and in Minneapolis. Also very impressive
are Tat and Max, especially when they skate their new Morozov-designed program to "Phantom of the Opera" (in Duluth the ice was too small so they skated a diferent number).
Anyway - Plush is beyond great - he skates as if he's in a different category. His blazing-fast footwork, total command of the arena, huge height on the jumps....everything was just letter perfect.

Thanks for the review and the slide show!!

Zanzibar

Last edited:

flutterby1145

Rinkside
Those are great pictures! What kind of camera did you use to take those pictures! Thanks for posting the slideshow and pictures!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
flutterby1145 said:
Those are great pictures! What kind of camera did you use to take those pictures! Thanks for posting the slideshow and pictures!
Thanks Flutterby1145, the camera I use is an old Sony Mavica with a 10X optical zoom. It uses the 3 1/2 floppy discs. :laugh: :laugh: I was sitting 15-20 rows up from the ice; I used the zoom and sports feature.

Kathleen, I have to be honest. I was quite upset with Evgeni during the Olympics not understanding what he did or not during his long program. His Tosca program in COI was absolutey amazing. He has redeemed himself with me. :agree:

Here is a review from our Omaha paper. (I changed some of the wording)

Skaters Shine for an Eager Audience

When the best skaters in the world come to town to show off their considerable skills, it can be difficult to pick a favorite performance.

Was it the luminous beauty of the newest Olympic women's champion, Shizuka Arakawa ?

How about the dazzling footwork and triple jumps of the men's gold medalist, Evgeni Plushenko?

Or maybe the breathtaking lifts and throws of the reigning pairs champions, Tatiana Totmyanina and Maxim Marinin?

The answer was simple for one audience member at Sunday's star-studded Champions on Ice show at the Civic Auditorium. As the afternoon's final soloist began her routine, she was greeted by an enthusiastic yell that could be heard through most of the arena.

"You still shine, Michelle!"

Michelle, of course, is Michelle Kwan. For more than a decade she has been the most dominant name in competitive figure skating, by virtue of winning five world championships and nine U.S. titles.

Though groin and hip injuries prevented her from making a third try in February at that elusive Olympic gold medal (she won silver in 1998 and bronze in 2002), she remains a much-loved icon of the sport.

On Sunday, Kwan rewarded her fans with an evocative, emotional performance to the classic ballad "A Song for You," which could be taken as everything from a simple "thank you" to her way of saying "goodbye." (Kwan has made no announcements about her future career plans.)

On doctor's orders, she did not include jumps in her routine Sunday, but she truly didn't need them. The beauty of Kwan's skating comes from her fluid movement across the ice and her subtle artistry in interpreting each phrase of music.

Besides, the crowd already had witnessed a flurry of ever-bigger tricks from the array of skaters who preceded her. Highlights included the cha-cha-cha charm of U.S. ice dancers Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto, the nonstop energy of former French champion Surya Bonaly and the inventive spins of U.S. singles champions Johnny Weir and Sasha Cohen.

Novelty acts also added a splash of fun to the show, even if these skaters never came close to an Olympic moment. Grabbing the most cheers, as usual, was Irina Grigorian, who skated while twirling an ever-increasing mass of silver Hula-Hoops around her body.

Dee

Lada

Spectator
Thanks for the pics and the report, Dee. The slide show really was impressive - liked the way you blended the stills together with the music too!

While the newpaper review was very positive - I always like to hear from the fans who see a show.

Thank you again.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Thank you Dee for the great report and slide show. All of the ladies looked
beautiful. I have a question did Shizuka jump when she perfromed her program. I remember when she performed in the Exhibition after the Olympics she did not jump.

Lonewolf

On the Ice
Dee,

Thanks for the pictures. I saw COI in Minneapolis while on vacation. I was really impressed with the whole show; I especially enjoyed the closing number.