Rachael Flatt & Broadmoor/Liberty Open highlights | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt & Broadmoor/Liberty Open highlights

I think it's high time those old-timers Kimmie, Yu-na, and Mao retire and make way for the new kids on the block.

Here is an article from the Blades on Ice web site about 13-year-old Rachael Flatt. She is the 2005 U.S. novice champion and 2006 U.S. junior silver medallist, and is in the news now because of her recent victory at the Broadmore Open event in Colorado Springs.

Rachael will compete in the junior grand prix this year, starting with the Mexico City event in September, and hopes to make it to senior nationals in Spokane.

https://bladesonice.com/blaweb1.htm

(Scroll down to The 2007 Season Begins with the Emergence of a New Star, by Alexandra Stevenson.)

There is also (last two paragraphs) a rather enigmatic A.P. McDonough reference in the article:

"While watching these competitors, I couldn't help wonder what ever happened to the very talented Ann Patrice McDonough , who had trained in the Springs since she was 3...

"During the Torino Olympics, the Colorado Springs Gazette traced her to Chicago where she had recently started to teach a Learn To Skate program in a suburban rink. To their reporter's question of ‘What happened?', she replied, 'Nobody needs to know. I don't want my life in the spotlight any more.'"

Here's AP in 2002 :love:

http://www.mscnet.com/jenny/mkf/2002nats/ladies/apmcdonough-p01.jpg

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
MM...you had me LOL with your opening sentence!!! :laugh:

I love AP. I wish she had stuck around. I also believe she was so robbed at 2003 Nationals. She should've won silver! OK...bronze! :cool:

That column reads like a hot off the press news items. Most of that I had never heard of before. Usually those magazines do not have really new news items.

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
When I first saw your thread title, I thought, "Why is Mathman posting a thread on Rascal Flatts in "The Edge?" :biggrin: Then I thought, "Why is Mathman posting a thread on Rascal Flatts PERIOD?" :cool:

antmanb

Record Breaker
And Yukina Ota was also skating there but not much was mentioned of her jumps - has she got them all back yet does anyone know?

Ant

I didn't hear any details, but evidently Ota still has quite a ways to go. She finished fourth behind Megan Stewart (10th in U.S. Nationals last year) and Angie Lien.

Yukina's scores were 78.20 (qualifying), 38.70 (short) and 79.34 (long), for a total of 118.04 (qualifying scores were not carried over).

Rascal :) got 98.49, 54.62+97.32 = 151.91. Very impressive.

BTW, did you notice the menu for the White House dinner that Kristi and Rena and John attended. Love me some kumquat-stuffed cherries!

MM :)

Joesitz said:
That column reads like a hot off the press news items. Most of that I had never heard of before. Usually those magazines do not have really new news items.
I think there is a great future for the on-line versions of these magazines. By the time the print version comes out, we are reading about the Olympics in April and Worlds in July.

Now they just need to figure out a way to make some money from their labors.

MM :)

Numbers Cruncher

Rinkside
Rachael

Mathman,

Glad to see you've found a new kid on the block! This little one is just fun to watch, she's got lots of spirit and is a very good skater. I'm a little surprised that she's gone to Senior this year, sorta thought she'd hold back a year but I wish her well. I haven't seen her skate this year yet, she did need some polishing presentation-wise so we'll see. I think she's competing at the big Liberty competition this weekend, which will be broadcast on the figure skating channel.

NC

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I was very impressed with Rachel at Nats and even got her autograph. :biggrin: I wish I could see her make her senior debut in Spokane, but unfortunately, the bank account won't permit that this year. I hope she makes a big splash.

Eeyora

Final Flight
MKFSfan said:
MM...you had me LOL with your opening sentence!!! :laugh:

I love AP. I wish she had stuck around. I also believe she was so robbed at 2003 Nationals. She should've won silver! OK...bronze! :cool:

ITA! How you can do the most jumps in a competition and wind up fourth is beyond me!

euterpe

Medalist
Rachael )"Rascal") Flatt won her group in the Liberty Summer Competition. Katrina Hacker was second and Kylie Gleason was third.

Nigel

On the Ice
13-year-old "Rascal" is skating at the Liberty Open in Aston PA this weekend.

Rachael "Rascal" Flatt has now won both Broadmoor and Liberty. Good start to her season. Anxious to get the JGP season underway so we can see how she does on the international circuit. Though, I do remember now that she won Triglav Trophy novice ladies event following her US Novice title back in 2005. She is young (she has a birthday at the end of this week....14!) so she has plenty of time to continue to learn and develop! Good luck Ms. Flatt and Happy BIrthday!:birthday:

Last edited:

Skye

On the Ice
re Jamie Kim

euterpe said:
Rachael )"Rascal") Flatt won her group in the Liberty Summer Competition. Katrina Hacker was second and Kylie Gleason was third.

I'm interested in Jamie Kim, who was 3rd place in the other ladies group at Liberty. She had a very polished style compared to others, and although her jumping was not as good as Flatt, I thought she showed plenty of potential. I've never heard of her before, so please enlighten me whoever -- How old is she? Has she ever made it to the Nationals as a junior or novice?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
inloveagain said:
I'm interested in Jamie Kim, who was 3rd place in the other ladies group at Liberty. She had a very polished style compared to others, and although her jumping was not as good as Flatt, I thought she showed plenty of potential. I've never heard of her before, so please enlighten me whoever -- How old is she? Has she ever made it to the Nationals as a junior or novice?
No, she hasn't. Jamie Kim is from Atlanta which is in the South Atlantic region. South Atlantics is an especially competitive and deep region, and quite a few very good skaters have not made it to Sectionals in recent years, let alone Nationals, in novice/junior. Kim placed 9th in Junior at Eastern Sectionals last year (it was the first time she qualified for Easterns, I think). I don't know how old she is, or if she is planning to test up and compete in Senior this season (skaters have until the Regionals application deadline of Sept. 1st to decide).

Quick comment on Rachael Flatt's performance at Liberty -- she's a tough competitor who is obviously working on developing her skating beyond just the jumps, which is good to see. I have learned over the years, however, that it is better not to project too far into the future when following promising young skaters, but rather to enjoy their skating talents in the present. :)

Skye

On the Ice
Thank you, Sylvia.

Rachael Flatt was definitely the one to watch at Liberty, but I found a nice surprise in Jamie Kim for her presentation, and Ashley Wagner for her perfect completion of jumps.

John King

Final Flight
After seeing the examples of Ann-Patrice and NNN,and in a different vein,Tara Lipinski,I'd say let's keep the age restriction,and allow kids to be kids.How would Mao Asada faired in Turino?We don't know,but if her entry resulted in another burn-out,I'd say it was not worth it.

Skye

On the Ice
John King said:
After seeing the examples of Ann-Patrice and NNN,and in a different vein,Tara Lipinski,I'd say let's keep the age restriction,and allow kids to be kids.How would Mao Asada faired in Turino?We don't know,but if her entry resulted in another burn-out,I'd say it was not worth it.

ITA. In fact, Rachael Flatt reminded me of Kimmie Meissner 2 years ago, jumping all the way through her program but still very juniorish.