Project Runway season 3 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Project Runway season 3

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dee, I totally agree. I was shocked that they didn't boot Angela. I think they kept her because of the abrasive drama element she provides. If you read the closing credits, you will see that the Producers of the show get to have votes (and big ones, I bet) about who gets voted off.

And to whomever was sorry that Angela had to work with Vincent: not so. Angela and Vincent ended up being a team because Vincent was last of the team captains that got to chose, and Angela was the last person left because she had been so annoying to Kaine and everyone else, so no one had chosen her. It was entirely her own fault that she had to work with Vincent, And Vincent just had bad luck to be chosen to pick last.

(BTW, does anyone else think Vincent looks distractingly like Chucky in the RugRats as he would look grown up?)

I have to give props to Vincent for:
1. Selling his concept to Miss USA, putting him in the top 7 for that part of the challenge.
2. Being able to pick any color material with Angela going 10 minutes left, 5 minutes left, 2 minutes left. It's a wonder he didn't leave the store with nothing.
3. If you listened to the comments of Miss USA, she said that dress was a classic gown, and with a little change to the sleeves (probably make those epaulets shorter) she would wear it. Pretty impressive of Vincent, given the horror of dealing with Angela, having to rip out what she sewed twice, and do the part of the dress he had to do.
4. As to the color itself, I didn't like it, but the real color of that dress will be nothing like you see on TV. Remember Lobacheva & Averbukh's FD costumes at 2003 worlds? In person they were a bright and repellent chartreuse. On TV it looked more yellow. I'll bet the color wasn't that bad or someone would have mentioned it other than Angela. (Like Miss USA or Vera Wang). If you recall, Malan was called out (and correctly) for the color of his gown,

I felt sorry for Malan because of the back story, and what a team player he was to take the complete blame. I felt he was in the top 7 in selling his concept, in the top 7 for being a good team member, and his dress was a bad color choice and had the hem problem.
However Angela was number 14 in the selling part (she didn't try), number 14 in the team member part (a complete horror) and not good on the execution if her stuff was badly sewn,. To me, that makes her the one to boot out.

Plus her dress from Episode 1 was completely hideous:

http://www.bravotv.com/_content/images/PR3_rate_ep01_Angela.jpg

I expect Vincent to get the boot this week or the week after, just to be clear about it. It's not that Vincent is great. It's that Angela is just lots worse. And worse than Malan too.

Last edited:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
Sasha commented that the original design didn't fit her and I could see that. I think it was up to Project Runway to fit the costume for her. Why were you betting that she tried to get away with something??

Dee

Because that dress was wicked ugly. We were thinking that she basically had to chose someone as a winner (though I would have gone with Chloe's, though I can see why she didn't) and just went with the one she thought, maybe, she could wear without it looking too bad. I hope she never gets around to it, or gets it dyed or something--Sasha looks much prettier in things like her burgundy R&J dress than white curlicues. The general feeling was she kind of got gypped and didn't get anything really wearable out of the deal.

I think this is the first year where the designers have REALLY come in knowing that they're playing a TV game and what they produce is only part of it. (Malan to me was way OTT in the wrap-up sound bites, for example.) They know that personality is a big, big part of it and having a "role" on the show means they're more likely to stay around, especially if it contributes to the drama element.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure I really liked the dress for this occasion. I just don't know. The other gowns were very, very sleek.

Anyhow, you can view it in action, I posted a very small video clip of it in another thread called (Spoiler) Miss Universe/Project Runway. No downloading necessary, you can right click on the viewing screen and increase size to 200%.

Santino Rice was one of the judges and the guy who won the apprentice, who I already forgot his name.:laugh: :laugh:

Dee

guinevere

Final Flight
I was very happy to see the rerun of episode 2 on NBC tonight. And thanks for the link to Tara C wearing the winning dress. It looked great on her. I wasn't sold on the bodice on the model, but it suits Tara's figure very well.

For overall potential, I'd have kept Malan - he has ideas, and is responsible. I think he got flustered with the execution of the dress, and made some poor choices along the way, but I think he can make improvements. But all I've seen of Angela is that she can't (er....doesn't) draw, can't construct, doesn't have an eye for others' designs, and can't work with others. The only reason to keep her is for the drama.

I loved the color of Vincent's dress, and I liked the back a lot. Really, only those space-girl epaulets were the only bad part of the dress, although it didn't look very 'pageant' to me.

I loved the runner up to the best dress (can't remember the name of the whoman who designed it).

I hope NBC continues to air episodes!

SkateCynic

Rinkside
guinevere said:
I loved the runner up to the best dress (can't remember the name of the whoman who designed it).

I hope NBC continues to air episodes!

Uli was the gal who designed the other "good" dress. It was beautiful, but I didn't think it had enough bust support to be a pageant gown. It was also very similar to Keith's dress, which was also a flowy gown, but his was strapless and had better definition/support.

Angela was a Grade-A twit in this episode, and I'd have much rather her get "Auf'd" than Malan.

:clap: for NBC airing PR on Mondays - my stupid cable company doesn't carry Bravo, and like you, I'm hoping NBC continues to air it.

guinevere

Final Flight
I would think that Project Runway reruns (for the non-cable crowd) would generate more of an audience than reruns of the previous week's tepid treasure Hunters, so hopefully we'll get more Auf'ing!

Matryeshka

Rinkside
I don't know if any of you read Tim's Take, but he strongly implied the Angela-Vincent debacle lost A LOT in translation from actuality to TV. Tim says that at first Angela was trying to be really, really helpful and did say nice things about the dress, but Vincent basically told her to stuff it. What we saw on TV was Angela AFTER Vincent refused to let her have anything to do with the dress. Not that it makes her behavior OK, but it's less reprehensible.

Editting has a lot to do with what we see--I remember Tim saying he was surprised by the final episode of PR2, because when he first saw the collections, he was HIGHLY crticial of Chloe and gave her some really strong, Tim-style criticism, and that he loved Daniel's collection from the first. But because they knew the final outcome, all the scenes with Tim being really doubtful about Chloe were editted out, just like the only thing that made the final cut were of Tim being really crticial of Daniel and seeming less-than-impressed.

At first I was really upset that Malan was cut, but the more I watch it the more I agree with the decision. For all those complaining about personality being the driving force to keep Angela, aren't a lot of you complaining about keeping Malan for the very same reason? If it's about design, then Malan SHOULD have gone--his dress was awful, regardless of his what I thought of as a cheap grab for sympathy at the end. You can't say, oh I like this contestant personally so when they keep him it's about design and then turn around and say, I don't like this contestant personally so when they keep him it's about ratings.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
My problem with Angela had less to do with how she did (or did not work) with Vincent than with her not complying with the show's instructions. All designers had to present sketches to the "client". She did not. As I said before, if it were work, she would have been fired on the spot.

guinevere

Final Flight
Thanks for the info on the always-enlightening use of editing.

I don't really disagree with Malan's departure (on twop a lot of people seem to be calling for Angela's head!), because his design had major flaws. But, without the added information about Angela's behavior with Vincent, I really saw her as having few, if any positives to keep her there overall, looking beyond just this design.

Maybe I was just shocked to see a show where the decision really is made based on the competition at hand? :saint: <- I miss my saint icon!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Matryeshka said:
IAt first I was really upset that Malan was cut, but the more I watch it the more I agree with the decision. For all those complaining about personality being the driving force to keep Angela, aren't a lot of you complaining about keeping Malan for the very same reason? If it's about design, then Malan SHOULD have gone--his dress was awful, regardless of his what I thought of as a cheap grab for sympathy at the end. You can't say, oh I like this contestant personally so when they keep him it's about design and then turn around and say, I don't like this contestant personally so when they keep him it's about ratings.
Thanks Matryeska for the update on Tim's Take. I need to start reading it. Anyhow, my reasons for booting Angela were twofold. 1. I saw enough of her actions (riding on coattails), 2. She didn't present anything. How she acted with Tara Connor was enough for me.

Malan's design was the most ambious of all the designers. Rusching is not easy to work with to have it lay just the way you want it too. Granted maybe he shouldn't have done the rusching but he did. At least he showed them a design inspite of it not being laid out perfectly.

I still think Angela should have gotten the boot big time and really hard.

Dee

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
guinevere said:
Maybe I was just shocked to see a show where the decision really is made based on the competition at hand? :saint: <- I miss my saint icon!

It's not, though. The producers decide who stays and goes, which is why in year one, Wendy Pepper made it to the final three even though there were about four shows where she should've been gone, and last year, Santino made it final three, when there were at least three times where he should've been the one gone. I haven't figured out who this year's Wendy/Santino is, but I'm sure it'll become clear soon. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Looks like this year's Santino/Wendy will be Angela or Vincent. Or maybe the idiot with Detroit on his neck, whose name I forget. Both Wendy and Santino provided drama elements. Which is what I bet this year's 3rd person will do/be.

And as to Daniel vs. Chloe.

I wasn't watching the show that closely last year. I know Daniel had recently graduated from a fashion program in NY. Was it possibly at a school that Tim was affiliated with?

And Chloe is strictly self taught-never sketches. That can't go down all that well with Tim...

I've got to start reading the Tim's take stuff.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
I wasn't watching the show that closely last year. I know Daniel had recently graduated from a fashion program in NY. Was it possibly at a school that Tim was affiliated with?
I believe Tim is at Parsons and Daniel is from FIT.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
DORISPULASKI said:
Or maybe the idiot with Detroit on his neck, whose name I forget.
His name is Jeffrey.

Dee

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dee and Ptichka, thanks for the info! I did read TIm's Take for the first 2 episodes this season, and it was very interesting. I didn't know that existed. Thanks for telling me.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought this was an inspiring challenge.

Dee

Last edited: