Sasha's movie | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha's movie

IDLERACER

Medalist
Click HERE to read the IMDB's entry. It's very unusual for that website to have almost no information about a movie that has already started filming. Especially when it has an established (though hardly an A-list) actress like Lori Laughlin. The fact that it's G rated and involves girls and horses would indicate that it's probably not going to be released theatrically. Looks more like it's being made specifically for the family channel or something.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
There is a movie starring Kay Panabaker with her sister Danielle this month called, "Read it and Weep".

In Sasha's Journal, it say Kay is the costar, not Danielle.

euterpe

Medalist
Red Dog said:
hehe...major diss there...

But really, it depends on how "high-profile" that movie she (Cohen) is doing and how good she is in it how far she goes in the business, IMO. Has Tara ever been in a real movie before? (Not TV shows or guest appearances)

She's been in a few movies in walk-on type roles. Here's her resume:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005150/

Most of her credits are TV appearances, and the bulk of those are Tara as Tara.

R.D.

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
She's been in a few movies in walk-on type roles. Here's her resume:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005150/

Most of her credits are TV appearances, and the bulk of those are Tara as Tara.

Interesting that Vanilla Sky is listed. I guess she had a tiny role in that film? I didn't know that.

I see all the others are TV appearances, though. Not that being a TV star is bad but she needs to somehow find her way onto a more popular show :laugh:

MKFSfan

Medalist
I really don't think Sasha herself sits in front of a computer and actually types her journal entries. I bet she dictates them to the web master and that is why we find so many mistakes that Sasha should know better-like who the actress was, Taylor Hicks is a boy, or flying leaf instead of a "flying leap", etc. The journal entries sound geered towards a younger audience, so I bet the webmaster does that on purpose, knows the age group he is targeting. So, in a way, that is smart!

jesslily

Final Flight
Sasha could be easily doing lot better than Tara. She just has the star quality that Tara lacks.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Interesting that Vanilla Sky is listed. I guess she had a tiny role in that film? I didn't know that.
If I remember correctly, Tara shot a tiny scene, but it was cut. I don't think she spoke in it. Someone help me out here if I am wrong.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Lucy25 said:
If I remember correctly, Tara shot a tiny scene, but it was cut. I don't think she spoke in it. Someone help me out here if I am wrong.

IIRC, she was supposed to be an extra??? I remember someone slo-mo'd teh party scenes and came to the conclusion that Tara was edited/cutted out of the movie after all. Who knows...My aunt and cousin were extras in the movie "In and Out" and said the line many in the scene was saying-"I'm gay." but they were cut out. They were still listed in the extra cast.

Sasha could be a hit, or she could be "just there" like Tara seems to be. We'll see!

R.D.

Record Breaker
it sounds like her role in the movie is important enough to keep in the final film, but who knows.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
I wonder how much they'll "have in common" if Cohen should become a higher-profile actress than Tara...meow, meow...scratch scratch :rofl: j/k

IMO, Sasha has one advantage over Tara -- since Tara got hyped as "the youngest ever" (Nat, World and Oly champ), it is harder for people to think of her as an adult than is the case for Sasha. If Tara can recognize this fact, and move beyond it to be friends with Sasha --- Kudos to her :rock: :rock:

Do you really think these two American figure skating ladies (Cohen and Lipinsky) will get to the same level of acting as Streep, Close, Foster, Spacek? or even Roberts? The ladies I just mentioned studied acting at universities and take renowned Acting classes like Actor's Studio to keep up their skills.

I think it's kind of cute that I see these skaters in a movie theatre or on TV but I do not have any high hopes for them eeking out a career in films.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
There have been athletes that made a smooth transition to acting careers. Chuck Connors (baseball player), for one.

The thing with Streep, Close, Foster et al is that they had tremendous acting talent right from the getgo and HONED their craft in acting classes, and Streep and Close did years of stage work long before they got into the movies, and that is what helped them to become the great stars they are.

Tara wanted to go straight from the skating rink to movie stardom, and she is having a hard time. She's been trying to find acting talent in herself by taking acting classes, and the plain fact is you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If you don't have acting talent, it isn't going to magically appear just from taking a few acting classes. She could have built a decent resume the hard way, by going for bit parts in off-Broadway or touring company shows and gradually learning what it means to be an actor. Looking at her actual resume is painful, because there is so little substance in it.

Tara's been pursuing an acting career since 1999, even while performing in SOI. In the beginning, she got TV roles based on her fame as a figure skater, but those opportunities dried up when her OGM got farther and farther in the past. She doesn't seem to be making any headway at all right now, except for a few more TV appearances in reality shows. Tara is lucky that she has all the money from her pro career and endorsements to sustain her while she makes the rounds. Most young struggling actors have to work as waitresses, clerks or whatever jobs they can get just to keep a roof over their heads and feed themselves. And many of those who struggle have real acting talent!

Arianne

On the Ice
Also pro athelete Chuck Norris made a smooth transition from mashall arts champion to "Walker Texas Ranger" and various other movies.

Kathy

On the Ice
Chuck Norris was one of the best Martial Arts fighters around in his time. I actually saw him fight at several tournaments. However he is the worst actor - I have no idea how Walker has survived on TV - the man just has no acting ability - but did get a name doing the martial arts thing in movies when those movies were "in" but acting - I don't think so.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I believe Chuck started in a Bruce Lee film after wining some title. Unfortunately the transition for Sasha would not be as readily available for FS roles. I hope she get to be a better actor.

IDLERACER

Medalist
If it's of any interest, there is a site on the web that lists the names of famous people. Tara is in there, and Sasha isn't. Click HERE

R.D.

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
If it's of any interest, there is a site on the web that lists the names of famous people. Tara is in there, and Sasha isn't. Click HERE

Good :biggrin:

eta: can't get your link to work for me though