Toronto skating seminar article with photos (Kulik coaching) | Golden Skate

Toronto skating seminar article with photos (Kulik coaching)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=209&st=0#entry336

Short excerpt from the article:

< Orser and fellow co-director, Tracy Wilson had been planning a series of summer seminars for almost a year. When Orser was in Switzerland last year he observed Kulik instructing the Swiss team members at a summer camp. “I really liked what he was doing and I thought he would be good for us,” Orser said. “So I asked him if he would be interested in coming to Toronto and he said yes. It is really great to have him here, the kids are loving it.” Orser conducted three seminars in early July that also were very well attended. >

Here some of the skaters that participated:

Alissa Czisny
Shawn Sawyer
Olivia Houston
RJ Westfall
Yu-Na Kim
Patrick Chan
Amélie Lacoste

Last edited:
Ilya is starting to look a little older in these pictures. He has always had a boyish face (to go along with that youthful charm).

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
Ilya is starting to look a little older in these pictures. He has always had a boyish face (to go along with that youthful charm).

It's the eyes...he's got some bags going on. Needs more sleep and moisturizer!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I found this old report where Ilia Kulik helps a young skater at Snapple Skate with Stars:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational/msg/34e02c5e1e8cde18?dmode=source

< First, visiting coaches... They are effective at giving another perspective to a skater. They may spot flaws that day-to-day coaching may miss... there are any number of other benefits they may bring, depending upon their own skills. I think I have mentioned this before here, but at the Snapple Skate with the Stars a few years ago, Illia Kulik spent about 20 minutes with my granddaughter working on entrance to spins and got her over the hump. Before this, she couldn't spin for anything. She used the off ice spinning gadget, her coach was working with her and nothing seemed to click with her. Then Illia worked with her and managed to pull it all together in that 20 minute session. It made the cost of the whole weekend worth it. At the time, she was not an advanced skater. She was fairly low-level. I don't know if it was his teaching technique or her awe of having an Olympic Gold medal winner showing her how to skate but whatever it was, it worked. >