(MP4) Need your feedback | Golden Skate

(MP4) Need your feedback

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here's my crack at sharing a little video with you. This is an MPEG-4 file and is much smaller and easier to download than some of the other videos around. However, this means that it is what I call a "convenience over quality" file. As I said before, about YT quality.

Here's a test file. This is from the 2006 World championships. I want your feedback as to the quality/practicality. This one is on the large side- 10MB- but only because it's excessively long.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=233C881B232EF3E5

in case YSI doesn't work:

http://www.filefactory.com/?86ace3

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I am downloading.

BTW doesn't feedback work both ways?:laugh:

Oop, it's ready - nice and quick that's for sure!

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's a new program I bought. It converts basic video files to MP4 format. However, I just discovered that the H264 AVC profile is there. But here's the good news: This is the .mp4 type of H264 file, not the .mpg type which means that Quicktime and VLC will play these files! And if you think that MP4 I posted is of fair quality, the H264 file is even better. And the people at large can play it, too.

Dee, watch out. :laugh:

Yes, I slowed the FR down to 15FPS. Does the slower frame rate bother you? It makes the file even smaller. Should I increase it back to 30FPS?

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
Dee, watch out. :laugh:

Yes, I slowed the FR down to 15FPS. Does the slower frame rate bother you? It makes the file even smaller. Should I increase it back to 30FPS?
Hey RD, the more the merrier. OK, here is my honest opinion, I had to stop watching because it was making me sea sick. I thought it was very distracting. What program did you say it was??

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
not telling :p

OK, I'll try increasing the FR back to 30. Maybe I'll try 24 and see what y'all think.

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK, Kimmie Meissner 06 Worlds video.

First, here is the video in 15FPS. It's an 8MB download.

http://www.filefactory.com/?cbf07c

Now, here is the video in 30FPS (29.97FPS to be exact). Everything is otherwise the same. Now it's a 9.2MB download.

http://www.filefactory.com/?5ece0f

24FPS didn't turn out too good. The video was jerky...I guess it just plucked out random frames rather than trying to keep the video as smooth as possible...:scratch:

Both are H264 files so you need Quicktime 7 or VLC Media player to play these files. RealPlayer won't work with these .mp4's (you'll get just sound).

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok the 15 FBS is bad, again it;s making me sea sick.

The 30 FBS is remarkably better.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
alright. I wonder what other people think, as just that adjustment makes a noticeable difference in the filesize, as you can see.

The good thing is that with the right settings a Short Program can be under 5MB (without K&C bit). The FS above I was able to keep under 10MB, and I think that's good news for our dial-up folks. Not only that but smaller files are naturally much easier to manage than large ones. At least that's my feeling.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sorry it took me a while to respond, I had to make dinner and we have a new leek under the sink:mad: I am agreeing with Dee. It doesn't bother me per say, - better than nothing, yet it is noticable.

Her are some various samples in diff formats of a 32 sec. clip.

MP4 at 15fps simple MP4 comp 808kb -
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DEE71F480FD1072A

MP4 at 29.97fps H264 single pass comp 1.52mb
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7F91C9E43810CD0C

MP4 at 29.97fps H264 multi pass comp 1.55mb
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7E1B953A40483664

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the solution is this. Since figure skating videos involve fast action maybe 30FPS is the better overall setting. But for stuff like interviews, fluff pieces, etc. IMO 15FPS is fine (since there's no rapid movement involved). It only gets "jerky" I guess when the movement becomes quick.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
These were all 320x240 vga ?

I guess would be one of the issues. is what it's intent was, iPod Monitor. I usually play mine through to the Telli (TVC15:laugh: ) and it gets better res. but when it is a file at 640x380 vga it is exact. 320x240s come out bully and HD files come out pixilated. so as far as relieving the dilemma of Dial-ups, these are working great for th compression of file size.

Something one of my "techi" friends likes to point out is that a "digital" file is a MP16 to start. so it is determining what you really see and what is not noticed and filters it down. As far as I see this is correct most of the time. and for all intents and purposes this is working out great to find out. One thing for sure is I might prefer a 640x380 but most don't seem to mind. This also triples to quadruples the file size, and this is good info for wanting to share.

Great thread and prompting of discovery here RD.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I think the solution is this. Since figure skating videos involve fast action maybe 30FPS is the better overall setting. But for stuff like interviews, fluff pieces, etc. IMO 15FPS is fine (since there's no rapid movement involved). It only gets "jerky" I guess when the movement becomes quick.

Perfect summery.

YSI is what you are using though. I think it might just be it needs a few before it is available. I just downloaded to verify. I am not sure now whether I like Safari or Firefox better. hummm?

R.D.

Record Breaker
My archive H264 files are NTSC-SD format (720x480) and have vibrant sound, color, and picture. I did this for the Nationals, Olympics and Worlds. The only difference from the original is slight loss of fine detail and slight blurring with quick movement (noticeable in the figure skating videos). But these files are huge. My Kimmie Meissner 06 Worlds FS file is 113MB (but then, that also includes the replay and scores).

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
My archive H264 files are NTSC-SD format (720x480) and have vibrant sound, color, and picture. The only difference from the original is slight loss of fine detail and slight blurring with quick movement (noticeable in the figure skating videos). But these files are huge. My Kimmie Meissner 06 Worlds FS file is 113MB (but then, that also includes the replay and scores).

I know this is a stretch, but could you try the Tanith and Ben Video under my signature and see how the video comes out? there are some very different thing (formats / resolution) going on in that video. Also this would tell me something about YSI.

Or did you see the Fumie Video Slideshow I did 2 weeks ago? same questions for both?

R.D.

Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:
What is you browser?

I'm using Firefox on a PC. I assume you have a Mac since you mentioned Safari (which comes with OS X IIRC).

Asking me to download a 198MB file is asking a lot, man...but I can't because as I said before YSI does not work for me. I just dunno why, but it doesn't...it just stalls.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I'm using Firefox on a PC. I assume you have a Mac since you mentioned Safari (which comes with OS X IIRC).

Asking me to download a 198MB file is asking a lot, man...but I'll see what I can do.

I knew that was a stretch, but you can trash it after:biggrin: You aren't dial up are you? Not that there is anything wrong with that.:laugh:

BTW yes I Mac Daddy!