Most Annoying Songs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most Annoying Songs

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Not Grgranny but Sean I loved The Carpenters. Saw them in concert several times. Karen had the voice of an angel .....so pure. "We've Only Just Begun" was the theme of my Junior prom....sigh. Their version of "Superstar" is my favorite.

antmanb

Record Breaker
CzarinaAnya said:
"500 miles" by those scottish twins

"You're Beautiful" James Blunt (I liked it at first, now it's just an earworm)

"Bad Day" I can't remember his name

The scottish Guys are the Proclaimers and i totally agree.

I think James Blunt's voice is awful and screechy just like his speaking voice!

Daniel Powter (sp?) is the bad day guy and i must say i did like this song but it was over played on the radio and i got bored of it.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
Hopefully those of us on this side of the pond will REMAIN mercifully ignorant; this sounds absolutely diabolical.

In regards to the Chumbawumba and Cardigans tracks: These would not have been bad had they not been PLAYED TO DEATH AND DRAGGED OUT AND PLAYED AGAIN EVERY 20 MINUTES UNTIL A HOLE WAS BORED INTO THE CD BY THE LASER. Sometimes what makes a song annoying, to me, is that it's something that I barely like to begin with, but then long about the oh, I don't know, 978th time THAT WEEK you've heard it, it is time to call for a Federal Communications Commission ban to avoid a potential gun spree...... :mad: :mad:

I couldn't agree more with the over playing on the radio. I must say that i've pretty much liked all of the black eyed peas tracks that have been released but i never buy anything because after a couple of weeks i hate the tracks because they are played many hundreds of times a day over the various radio stations!

I think you will remain ignorant of the cheeky girls (you don't know how lucky you are!) they were famously awful twins from the very first (or maybe second) pop idol series here in the UK. Simon Cowell very famously slagged them to the hilt for basically being two reasonably pretty (though that is a matter of taste!) twins who could not hold a tune. They have made a truck load of money releasing gimmicky tracks. Hilariously on a "celebrity idol" type affair over here Ruby Wax and British Comedienne Jo Brand performed the cheeky song to great comic effect!

Ant

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I really love the Carpenters. I've never admitted it to my kids, but I really like Achy Breaky Heart. I don't usually care for country music when they sing through their nose.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I don't usually care for country music when they sing through their nose.

Glad someone else has noticed the "singing through their nose" thing! And unfortunately it's not just confined to COUNTRY music.

Addendum: "Sea of Love", I think it's called, by the Honeydrippers. Not only does the name of the group make you wanna gag, the song itself is horrible. The "singing string" routine went out in the 70s, mercifully, but this one features not only that but an annoying "ah-ah-ah-ah" routine and the lyrics are hideous.

"Saturday In The Park" by Chicago. One of the most hideous, all over the place, musical arrangements ever. Sounds like they were all drunk off their butts when they recorded it and just let the instruments do whatever and inane lyrics to boot.

"Reeling In The Years" by Steely Dan. Worst song by an otherwise extremely talented band. I don't know what there is about this song that makes me grind my teeth down to nubs, but it could be used as a torture device by militant groups.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piel said:
Not Grgranny but Sean I loved The Carpenters. Saw them in concert several times. Karen had the voice of an angel .....so pure. "We've Only Just Begun" was the theme of my Junior prom....sigh. Their version of "Superstar" is my favorite.
Not Grgranny either but I LOVE THE CARPENTERS. I saw them in concert too. I have several of their CD's, including their Christmas CD. Love it, love it.

I think if the Carpenters or Josh Groban sang Let there be peace on Earth, I would love it if they change the sexist language in it to include everyone not just my brothers.

Dee

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Addendum: "Sea of Love", I think it's called, by the Honeydrippers. Not only does the name of the group make you wanna gag, the song itself is horrible. The "singing string" routine went out in the 70s, mercifully, but this one features not only that but an annoying "ah-ah-ah-ah" routine and the lyrics are hideous.

I expected more from Robert Plant.......but they redeemed themselves with a cover of R ay Charles' "I've Got a Woman". This was a true supergroup Plant, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Nile Rogers.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I expected more from Robert Plant....

Didn't we all....

You know, I've always been intrigued by the concept of a show called "What Were Ya Thinkin"?" This would be kind of like the old "This Is Your Life" only they bring actors, singers, on and show clips from really awful movies they made or really bad songs they recorded and then ask them, 'WHAT WERE YA THINKIN'??" If this ever becomes a reality, and if Robert Plant is on it, they need to dig the whole Honeydrippers thing up.

re. Karen Carpenter: Really funny she got brought up, because right before she was mentioned on this thread, for some reason I started to think of the Carpenters. Saccharine, yes. But she really did have a marvelous voice and IMO could really sell the song without making you want to throw up, which, in the case of some those songs, was no simple acheivement.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I expected more from Robert Plant....
If you see the DVD he and Jimmy go to Kashmir, that made up for anything he did that was short of expectations.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I don't know how I could have forgotten these...maybe I'd successfully blocked them out for a while. I shudder and stab my finger at the "seek" button each time one of these songs is played on the radio:
"My Humps" by the Black-Eyed Peas
"Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani
Two songs that make me go "ewww..." I still can't believe people make big bucks writing lyrics that lame. (Sez the poor, unrecorded parodist!) I can't even manage to parody these songs, because that would mean having to learn them.
There will no doubt be more. Like, OMG, "We Didn't Start the Fire", by Billy Joel? Totally annoying. Though I'm sure there are those of you who just lurve all these songs, and that's okay. Gwen and Fergie need to make a living, and Billy needs to replace his car on a regular basis.
xoxo
Rave

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What was that horrible song by Jefferson Airplane after they reformed, something about building America? I guess that is a successful block. Can't hum the tune, just remember how bad it was.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
"We Built This City"? How oh how can a group who did "White Rabbit" turn out this? And that was even before Gracie started shootin' up the neighborhood.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks PL, I can always count on you! Now doubt, they should have change the name of the band, that is like anther skater calling themseves Michelle Kwan. If it changes, It is different, just like Van Halen / Van Hagar - that should have been changed.

Great now the tune is coming back - agh! I shouldn't have asked! ...on rock and "*raugf*":p

Wolfgang

On the Ice
"I don't know why she's leaving,
or where she's gonna go,
I guess she has her reasons,
but I just don't wanna know,
cause for 24 years I've been living
Next Door to Alice....."

Quite possibly the most pathetic piece of **** ever to torture an innocent piece of vinyl.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
For some reason the song "Freshmen" always annoyed me.

And of course it was purposefully nasty song, but "Smelly Cat" from Friends, more annoying than funny.

c_e_ahlen

On the Ice
I agree with CzarinaAnya and Dennis.
You're Beautiful" with James Blunt (though my mother LOVES it and plays it all the time) and The Ketchup Song.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Some others that have driven me crazy over the years (and yes these are all real songs that I have heard on the radio)

First from the Country Charts:
First up and still unfortunately being played:

Jesus take the Wheel sung by Carrie Underwood about some totally idiotic woman who skids on ice on the highway and takes her hands off the wheel and starts praying. Every time I drive now I wonder if some fool will take this song literally when the car skids.

Margaritas Make Her Clothes Fall Off (also current)

Dropkick me Jesus Through the Goalposts of Life

Bootscoot Boogie by Brookes and Dunn

And from noncountry sources:

Teen Angel about some girl who dies in a car crash with a great deal of snivelling

Blue Moon, where the band has forgotten the real words and just keeps singing
Blue moon, blue, blue,blue,blue moon, diptadiptadip blue, blue, blue,blue moon diptadip. bowwowwowbatarang batarang a dingy dong ding blue moon,.

I've never been to Me (nuff said)

YMCA and In the Navy by the Village People

The Lion Sleeps Tonight (O Wim o Way)

Rockin' Robin (tweetle a Deet)

Anything sung by Barney.

Or the Wiggles

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Piel said:
"We Built This City"? How oh how can a group who did "White Rabbit" turn out this? And that was even before Gracie started shootin' up the neighborhood.

How on EARTH could I have possibly overlooked THAT one??? Probably because some songs are so hideous you just block them out of your mind. THAT is the #1 song guaranteed to make me run shrieking out of a room. (Well, it might be #2 behind "Crucified" by Army of Lovers, which actually did make me run shrieking out of many a dance club in New Orleans).

YIPE!!!!!!!

Actually, Piel's comment reminds me of a scene from "Grace Under Fire" where Brett Butler is driving home from work, high off fumes from a leak at the refinery, and 'White Rabbit' is playing on the car radio and she bangs her hands on the steering wheel going 'I. Can't. Believe. This. Is. The. Same. Group. That. Did. We.Built. This. CITY!!!!!!' :laugh: