What the heck was on ESPN Classic last night?! | Golden Skate

What the heck was on ESPN Classic last night?!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was up late watching ESPN and caught the end of some movie...I think it had to do with figure skating because there was this girl who wanted to compete at the nationals but something happened (didn't watch much of it so I don't know the details). In the end she won like four times or something. It looked like one of those corny Disney movies. And corny is an understatement...I don't even know why I was watching this thing. At the end it said something like "Arliss" or something. Can anyone shed some light on this?

John King

Final Flight
Best I can recall,Arli$$ was a comedy central series staring Robert Wuhl as a sports agent.I remember Oksana Baiul having a cameo in one episode,that's all I can come up with for now.

Last edited:
Was it an episode of that old comedy series Arli$$? (Arliss is an unscrupulous sports agent -- kind of a send-off of Jerry "Give me the Kwan" McGuire.) Several skaters, including Katerina Witt, Tara Lipinski and Tonya Harding have made cameo appearances on this show.

(What John King said, LOL.)

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Arli$$ was an HBO series. Sandra Oh who played his assistant Rita is now starring in Grey's Anatomy as Christine.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I think it was a film. I don't get ESPN Classic, but your description rings a bell. It was a film, I do believe first shown on the Disney Channel. I forget the name, but I saw a few minutes and turned it off.

I could, of course, be entirely wrong.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
The only Disney Channel movie coming to mind is "Go Figure", in which a figure skater has to take a hockey scholarship to attend a private school and train with their super Russian figure skating coach. Of course she eventually bonds with the hockey team and with their help manages both to play in the Big Game (tm) and get to Nationals on time. With Special Appearance by Kristi Yamaguchi as Herself.

It's like a collection of "Rejected Plot Ideas for Ice Princess" with actors unsuited to the D-list. Since ESPN is owned by Disney it's possible they ran it.