Skaters and Advertising | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters and Advertising

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
... .

And while we love to recognize how much Michelle makes as an endorser ~ keep in mind that by not winning in '02 - she lost out in about 15 million+ ... If she'd pulled off a win in '06 ~ she had the potential to make basketball player money... we're talking nike, gatoraid, cars, snack foods, kids' lines and whatever else Madison Ave. could've dreamed up...

I'm not so sure you are correct as to the numbers. According to the opinion granting Tonya's injunction (which I looked up on my legal research sites), an OGM could earn about 10 to 15 million over the skater's lifetime -- if the skater did not turn down a single chance to make a buck. However, since interest in skating has dropped off so dramatically, I doubt that this is still practicable. I think that an OGM now would bring in a bunch of ads short term, but it would die away shortly.

Anyway, Phil Hersch estimated that Kwan was earning about two to three million a year between '98 and '03 alone from all sources (COI was doing more tours per season; endorsements; the Disney deal, etc.) -- with the money she has earned over her career to date, she has probably earned as much if not more than any of the "non-entrepreneurial" OGMs (by non-entrepreneurial, I mean those OGMs who don't start their own skating shows, productions companies, etc.)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I'm not so sure you are correct as to the numbers. According to the opinion granting Tonya's injunction (which I looked up on my legal research sites), an OGM could earn about 10 to 15 million over the skater's lifetime -- if the skater did not turn down a single chance to make a buck. However, since interest in skating has dropped off so dramatically, I doubt that this is still practicable. I think that an OGM now would bring in a bunch of ads short term, but it would die away shortly.

Anyway, Phil Hersch estimated that Kwan was earning about two to three million a year between '98 and '03 alone from all sources (COI was doing more tours per season; endorsements; the Disney deal, etc.) -- with the money she has earned over her career to date, she has probably earned as much if not more than any of the "non-entrepreneurial" OGMs (by non-entrepreneurial, I mean those OGMs who don't start their own skating shows, productions companies, etc.)

Oh, I agree about the earning potential of an olympic gold medalist being between 10-15 million over a lifetime based on '94 figures & inflation...

But we're not talking about an olympic gold medalist... we're talking about Michelle Kwan... a true sports icon & legend. Someone who transend their individual sport and reaches the masses...

This girl had the potential to make 10-15 million between '02 & '06. The '02 gold would've put her on the same level as Tiger Woods, the Williams sisters and Mia Hamm... big money. HUGE money. And yes, she does have millions and is one of the best paid female sports stars in the country... but all without a major apparel or soft drink ad... Nike & Gatoraid opportunities make big bucks for the athlete... and its unfortunate that she doesn't have a bigger piece of that pie, imho

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I doubt that Nike would ever hire a figure skater -- even if MK had won the gold. After all, skaters wear another kind of footwear. It would, however, be interesting to find out what deals Michelle might have gotten if she had won the gold.

Eeyora

Final Flight
attyfan said:
I doubt that Nike would ever hire a figure skater -- even if MK had won the gold. After all, skaters wear another kind of footwear. It would, however, be interesting to find out what deals Michelle might have gotten if she had won the gold.

Well Nancy was a spokesperson for Rebok. The ad's showed her crosstraining.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
attyfan said:

Nike, addidas, puma... would've definately considered hiring MK with a gold medal... and many more... so its unfortunate that she didn't have those opportunities...

Fredegunda

Rinkside
I remember that Katia did a Rolex ad - it also included either Fleming or Hamill, but I always get them mixed up!

Elvis Stojko did a TV commercial for McCain's juice about 10 years ago, I think.

On the topic of Michelle and Nike: Nike used to make skates - hockey skates, that is, and I am not sure if this is still the case, since everyone made fun of their white skates in a world where hockey skates are always black - and they still make clothing so they wouldn't necessarily have passed up Michelle based solely on the fact that her, ah, "footwear of choice" is figure skates.

John King

Final Flight
Liz Manley did a TV ad for some drink called Mr. Juicy,and Kristi did an ad for some color contacts (lenses).

tully

Rinkside
Endorsements may be the traditional moneymaker for an OGM, but i'm thinking it could be parlayed into other, non-traditional venues by the "right" skater...clothing lines, makeup lines, cooking/food lines...sound familiar? I'm thinking Sasha easily blew 10 or 12M

sortof makes her LP comeback even more impressive. If i were her, visions of dollars flying away on wings would have melted me down

heyang

Record Breaker
Here' s a link to Katia and Daria's Got Milk ad.

http://www.gg-corner.de/scans/ad/milk/ad_got-milk01.jpg

Realistically, Katia got a lot of endorsements because of the circumstances of Sergei's death and their romance.

I think MK and Katia and other skaters have been named as People's 100 most beautiful.

Don't forget MK's Kraft salad dressing commercial. Also, Kristi was a spokesperson for Acetate.

SingAlto

On the Ice
Kristi has also done commercials for Durasoft contact lenses and Mervyn's California dept. stores.

Scott Hamilton did a commercial for Target in the 90's and one for some financial company back in 1988.

Brian Boitano did a commercial for Jack In the Box as well as ads for Allstate, Chrysler and Tufenkian rugs.

Katarina Witt has done several, including Diet Coke (with Paul Martini in the cast)

Jason Dungjen played a skating coach in a commercial for a product I can't remember.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Anybody know of a skater that broke through before that?

In trying to find the answer to this question I did find this interesting device.

1867 Scientific American.