• Robin Wagner

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Other coach

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I think the best answer to the topic would be Nicks coaching with TT choreographing.

Joe

That would awesome. :yes: I kind of wish Tatiana hadn't gone back to Russia.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Lonewolf said:
I guess I am confused. Apparently Sasha’s best season was the 2003-04 season according to Wikipedia.

I think that Sasha has had more as great seasons than just that. She has won Olympic silver medal and stood on the podium in three consecutive World competitions (two silver and one bronze). Although she did not win a gold medal in Olympics or World competitions, she definetely is one of the skaters at the very highest top in current time. There are/has been talented skaters that have never stood on the Worlds podium and there has even been World champions participating in several Olympics and never winning a medal of any colour there. Sasha has been "consistent" in both Worlds and Olympics, so to speak.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Jaana said:
One also needs a coach that is able to fix some parts in that problem. As I mentioned above, Tarasova was a wrong choice, because Sasha needed help in her jumping and not in artistry. I also believe that Sasha needs discipline in her work. If Callaghan managed something with a big problem child like Bobek, I´d expect him manage to do wonders with Sasha.
Well, Kulik did master the quad under Tarasova's direction. I see a lot of similarity between Sasha and Ilya, and I think that was largely the change she was going for.

Having said all that, I do have to say that I think the choice of TT was largely Galina's and not Sasha's.

R.D.

Record Breaker
oh god. how many times is this all going to be re-hashed? what's happened has happened. she's where she is now, probably going to quit. Doesn't matter how she got there or "what if she stayed with this coach" or etc. jmo

Red Dog said:
oh god. how many times is this all going to be re-hashed? what's happened has happened. she's where she is now, probably going to quit. Doesn't matter how she got there or "what if she stayed with this coach" or etc. jmo
If that's all there is folks, then nighty night. I agree RD, the could's would's and should uvs get tiresome after a while.

The ball is in Sasha's court. Will she hit it? or go on to Thoroughbred Racing?

Personally, I'd like to see her get a World's gold.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ptichka said:
Well, Kulik did master the quad under Tarasova's direction. I see a lot of similarity between Sasha and Ilya, and I think that was largely the change she was going for.

I would not say that it was Tarasova who tought Ilia the quad. He kind of mastered it before that time, although not doing it in competitions. Besides, I have understood that it was some technical expert that helped Ilia with the quad in 1997-1998 season?

Ilia skated great under Kudriatshev as he won the gold in JWC and EC in season 1994-1995. Also Ilia skated a wonderful faultless freeskate in Centennial on Ice 1996 and won with almost as good performance a silver medal in Worlds 1996. All that happened before Tarasova.

As Ilia started to train under Tarasova he did have a beautiful freeskate but not really suitable for male singles skating. Lots of skating fans called it an ice dance programme where jumps were added. It was practically unskateable, a way too busy programme. Tarasova did not have enough experience with male singles skating in that time. That error was fortunately corrected for the Olympic season´s freeskate programme.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Jaana, I chose the word mastered to differentiate it from learned. Yes, he learned the quad before TT, but he mastered it (which involves both physical and psychological readiness) under her.

chelseamp

Rinkside
I voted for Nicks, just because I feel like these changes kind of prolonged Sasha's quest to find the problems elsewhere but in herself. I've always thought that the falls were a mental hurdle, and I just wonder if she had had consistencey
would she maybe have worked through it or made more progress than she has with all the changes.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:

Well skip the thread - is there anyone holding a gun to your head forcing you to read?

Ant

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mafke said:
... Again, I think she's lived up to her potential fine, she just hasn't lived up to (her own? other peoples'? hype about her).

IMO, there isn't any skater who could have lived up to the hype about Sasha.

R.D.

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Well skip the thread - is there anyone holding a gun to your head forcing you to read?

Ant

maybe not but old=stale in my opinion.

IMO, there isn't any skater who could have lived up to the hype about Sasha.

It's pretty tough for any skater to be clean all the time. Damn, even "The Kween" can't do that. If she can't do it, then tell me, who the heck can?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:

It's pretty tough for any skater to be clean all the time. Damn, even "The Kween" can't do that. If she can't do it, then tell me, who the heck can?

I don't think Sasha's failure to be clean all the time is the reason why she never lived up to her hype. Instead, she failed to live up to her hype because, other than the one cheesefest, she never skated cleanly in all phases of the competition in any event. However, Sasha's results would be impressive if she was just another elite skater, but skaters who are hyped as "the greatest ever" (per Dick and Peggy) are supposed to win golds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I don't think Sasha's failure to be clean all the time is the reason why she never lived up to her hype. Instead, she failed to live up to her hype because, other than the one cheesefest, she never skated cleanly in all phases of the competition in any event. However, Sasha's results would be impressive if she was just another elite skater, but skaters who are hyped as "the greatest ever" (per Dick and Peggy) are supposed to win golds.

And I think you're right on. But it makes me wonder how many skaters go clean in an entire competition. You just have to do enough to win, and in Cohen's case it's meant being clean throughout the entire competition. I venture that few skaters can do that.

I think it also has to do with some fans so engrossed in her performance that they allow any mistake she makes to take away from their "experience". Then they harp on that mistake from now till 2030.

But frankly I think we're talking about a has-been here. I'd be surprised if we ever see her on competition ice again (unless she's a replacement or something).

Lonewolf

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
But frankly I think we're talking about a has-been here. I'd be surprised if we ever see her on competition ice again (unless she's a replacement or something).

I for one hope you are wrong. I think and hope we will see her compete again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Time for the next generation of skaters. The old ones are just clinging onto a frayed rope right now. Blunt but true...look at Kwan, fighting through injury...Cohen, fighting through motivation...and Slutskaya, fighting through illness...

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I don't think that it would have made a difference at all if she had stayed with any of those coaches, or moved on to others. Sasha's biggest demons are within herself, and there is no coach that can fix it.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dancindiva03 said:
Sasha's biggest demons are within herself, and there is no coach that can fix it.
I don't think Sasha has any demons. She has given me several years of beautiful skating. She is not perfect nor has there been any skater that has been and I can say that as fact.

Dee

dancindiva03 said:
I don't think that it would have made a difference at all if she had stayed with any of those coaches, or moved on to others. Sasha's biggest demons are within herself, and there is no coach that can fix it.
That is THE ANSWER to the topic question. She put the cart before the horse. Sad, indeed.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
dancindiva03 said:
Sasha's biggest demons are within herself, and there is no coach that can fix it.

Demons, perhaps, but only the demons that make her slip up. For everything else the coach or choreographer has to be given credit.

Red Dog said:
Demons, perhaps, but only the demons that make her slip up. For everything else the coach or choreographer has to be given credit.
In that case all the coaches and choreographers are due their credit, however, the demons which make her slip up were more powerful.