Matt Savoie appointed to ISU technical committee | Golden Skate

Matt Savoie appointed to ISU technical committee

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if athlete reps get to vote, but I'm happy for Matt. :clap: It's good to see that he will still be involved with the sport. :bow: :agree:

What do Athlete Representatives do?

Is he like a defense lawyer arguing a case of wrong judging on behalf of a skater?

Joe

Eeyora

Final Flight
I am thrilled for Matt. He is worthy of this honor. It is a shame he was unrewarded under both systems.

CB1AB2

Medalist
I think he will do a good job whatever it is = he is one class act = I 've always liked him = Congrats Matt

I wish the ISU web site would put their page back up where it lists the members of all the committees. Right now it's just a blank page saying, we will update this page after the July 2 meeting.

There are certain posts in Government and Commercial Organizations where the work is superficial and the salary is quite high. They are kind of 'thank you' jobs.

Joe

swissmiss

Rinkside
Yay Matt!

Joesitz said:
There are certain posts in Government and Commercial Organizations where the work is superficial and the salary is quite high. They are kind of 'thank you' jobs.

Joe

Whatever the actual "job" is, I don't think Matt's going to just sit back, do the minimum, and collect a paycheck. I'm sure he'll bring his usual dedication and "can-do" attitude to the job. This is a great opportunity for both him and the ISU. Now let's hope they listen to him. :)

swissmiss said:
Whatever the actual "job" is, I don't think Matt's going to just sit back, do the minimum, and collect a paycheck. I'm sure he'll bring his usual dedication and "can-do" attitude to the job. This is a great opportunity for both him and the ISU. Now let's hope they listen to him. :)
I certainly wasn't pointing my comment towards Matt. If it were true, Matt would not get the job, a crony of Cinquanta would.

Everyone is happy for Matt. What some of us want to know is just what the job entails? I think we all hope that Matt is listened to, but what is the job?

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
swissmiss said:

I don't think Matt is getting paid for being a representative. Judges in the ISU are volunteers. As for the job itself, if I remember correctly, Amber Corwin was an athlete representative as well. From her interviews, it seemed that it really helped her understand what the judges are looking for. Notonly will this be a good step in Matt becoming a judge later on, Matt will also learn what judges look for in top skaters. Matt does a lot of transitions however there is something lacking in his skating compared to the guys at the top level. I personally think his skating is too busy and he loses out on delivering strong programs with all that "make busy" work.

Amber Corwin is listed in her bio as the "North American figure skating representative to the ISU." I'm not exactly sure what that means, either.