Death Threats for Johnny | Golden Skate

Death Threats for Johnny

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
attyfan said:
I don't know if they are sick or just evil.

Good point. Or perhaps trying to make themselves feel better about their own lives by trying to bring someone else down. How pathetic.

Figureskates

On the Ice
There are sure a lot of loons out there.

Didn't Oksana Baiul get threats also? I maybe unclear here, but I seem to remember vaguely this happening a few years back.

floskate

On the Ice
Dunno about Oksana, but wasn't Kwan being monitored by the FBI in Paris during one Lalique? (Or was it the first Champions series final? ) She'd gotten some pretty ropey fan mail I believe at the time.

Norlite

On the Ice
floskate said:
Dunno about Oksana, but wasn't Kwan being monitored by the FBI in Paris during one Lalique? (Or was it the first Champions series final? ) She'd gotten some pretty ropey fan mail I believe at the time.

She did somewhere. I thought it was Germany, but I really don't remember.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I thought Michelle got some threatening letters early in her career, and it was worst at Worlds that year, but I forget what year...maybe 1996?

Maria B. had some problems, too. Wasn't her car bombed?

It's very strange. Rudy didn't get any threats, so that rules out any 'gay' thing. So who would it be that got upset about his loss? That would rule all the fans of his top competitors who were happy he didn't get a medal. So with which people would want to cut him down figuratively or literally?

Given the seriousness of the accusations, why did he not report all this sooner? He had no problem telling the world his missed the bus in Torino. Was there any further threats for Calgary?

Joe

Alsace

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It's very strange. Rudy didn't get any threats, so that rules out any 'gay' thing.
Joe

Well, Rudy wasn't national champion competing at the Olympics, either. So he wasn't as widely publicized.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johnny should have told someone in Turino about the threats. I guess I don't understand why he didn't. I really don't think he used good judgement by not saying anything.

Anyhow, Johnny sets himself up when he says things like:
His personal phone number is not listed, but his parents' number is.
Why would you say something like that?? His parents will probably have to get their phone number changed.

I'm confused!!!

Dee

Alsace

On the Ice
The fact that his parents' number is listed is public information. The article did not state that Johnny gave them this information.

Alsace said:
The fact that his parents' number is listed is public information. The article did not state that Johnny gave them this information.
And if what he says about threats is true, then the parents are going to get phone calls from the threatening ones to pass on to their son. So much for public information.

Joe

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
And if what he says about threats is true, then the parents are going to get phone calls from the threatening ones to pass on to their son. So much for public information.

Joe

What do you mean "if what he says is true" Are you calling him a liar? I think this may explain why Johnny was so quiet during Worlds. He had the back injury, but gave few if any interviews. Now that the news is out, I'm sure there will be investigations.

EOIskating

Spectator
mmscfdcsu said:
What do you mean "if what he says is true" Are you calling him a liar?

You seem a bit overprotective of Johnny. Are you a relative?

mmscfdcsu said:
I think this may explain why Johnny was so quiet during Worlds. He had the back injury, but gave few if any interviews.

He did do that photoshoot with Kathleen Bangs too, didn't he?

mmscfdcsu said:
Now that the news is out, I'm sure there will be investigations.

Surely, the first step for Johnny would have been to report the threats to the police and not to a newspaper. Now all those people sending hate mail and calling his parents will know that they are having an effect.

It does seem a bit strange that it is still going on though. The Olympics have been off the radar for months.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
You would think that something that serious would be brought forth to the proper people so he could have been watched and provided proper security. I think that a poor judgement call was made by Johnny himself and his people who are close to him. I don't know, why bring all this up now after so much time has passed since Olympics and Worlds. :yes:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Alsace said:
Well, Rudy wasn't national champion competing at the Olympics, either. So he wasn't as widely publicized.

When Rudy was a "big name" (after winning Nats), public interest in skating was at an all time high, whereas the ratings for Torino were at an all time low. IMO, two factors exist now that didn't exist ten years ago (a) the internet, which provides a shield of anonymity and (b) a climate where certain behavior towards certain classes of people is more socially tolerated than it used to be.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
Maria B. had some problems, too. Wasn't her car bombed?
It was, but it probably had to do with her boyfriend. He actually was murdered.

The article makes it seem like the hatred was brought about by the fact that he didn't win a medal at the Olympics.

"I was second place," Weir said of the Olympic short program. "I was going to win a medal for my country . . . Then when I lost it, everyone turned."

To me, that's absurd. Are we to suppose that the crazies out there are just such intense American patriots that they want to commit mayhem to avenge their national honor?

On the other hand if it is run-of-the-mill homophobia, why Johnny? Are there that many redneck good ol' boys who follow men's figure skating looking for someone to vent their spleen on?

dfj

On the Ice
Maybe it's just me, but I don't buy it. Johnny always has a reason for not skating well - this time, death threats. :sheesh:

I used to really like him, but he's developed into a bit of a whiner.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alsace said:
Huh????????????

We all know now that his parents number is listed. He just said so..........he didn't have to.
Mathman said:
On the other hand if it is run-of-the-mill homophobia, why Johnny? Are there that many redneck good ol' boys who follow men's figure skating looking for someone to vent their spleen on?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Responding to Math's comment.

I don't wish Johnny any harm whatsoever but this is really kind of absurd.

Dee