Emanuel Sandhu - Interview | Golden Skate

Emanuel Sandhu - Interview

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I saw Emanuel interviewed tonight on a local program. He is seriously thinking of staying a competitor as far as the 2010 Olympics here in Vancouver. He sounds like he is a lot happier and is enjoying his skating more. I also found out he is a good singer! I saw him at the Stars on Ice tour here in Vancouver as a guest skater - he was awesome.

:agree:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Lad for that information. I like Emannuel and hope he does stay.

Dee

If he gets his act together, he will be a formidable competitor. His musical abilities are there but they are not in the same class as Cranston, Curry and Browning.

Joe

chelseamp

Rinkside
I am so glad to hear this. This made my day. I just love Eman. I guess I'll have to go over to his fan site and see if anyone got video of the interview. He hasn't updated his site that much since the Skate Today chat. I'd like to see him do a program that is more like what Curry would do instead of so much modern and avant garde stuff

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m very glad that Eman is staying, because his skating has never bored me, quite the opposite. If he ever manages to conquer his nerves, that remains to be seen. I sure hope that he manages to do it in a big competition one day. With a faultless performance including great choreography and music, Eman could be one of the greatest ever, he has masses of expressiviness and is really versatile, in my opinion. All these comments apply to Cohen also.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
If he gets his act together, he will be a formidable competitor. His musical abilities are there but they are not in the same class as Cranston, Curry and Browning.

Joe

Have you seen him skate live? He is awesome. His musical abilities are fabulous - of course he likes to move to modern music, I would love to see him do something more of a classical line. He does study ballet. I think his temperamental attitude is what has gotten in his way in the past, but from the interview I could tell he has grown and matured. I hope this will be reflected in his future competitive endeavours.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I like Eman and think that at his best, without a flaw (which doesn't happen often) he's easily the best in the world -- BUT -- isn't Vancouver his hometown? Much as I hate to say it, given his penchant for meltdowns, I don't think him skating in a hometown Olympics is going to be a pretty sight. (Look at Carolina Kostner in Torino, and Torino wasn't even her hometown). He's going to have to do something about THAT BRAIN of his if it's going to work at all.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I could watch Eman just stroke around the rink, hes so good

It will be interesting to see Canada's men battle it out over the next 4 years.

Lynn226 said:
Emanuel will be 29, about 3 months old at the time of the Olympics. Is Salchow the oldest ever?
Gillis Grafstrom was 34 when he won the 1932 Olympics, and in 1936 he finished second at age 38. Go, Gramps! :clap:

Wow. I had no idea. That was his third OGM in '28 (not '32, unless US Fig Skating is mistaken - it says the silver was in '32).

So, no problem for either Sasha or Michelle!

However, it seems to have taken a toll, he died at only 45.

Scroll down for a pendant based on a drawing by Grafstrom - based on figures that he skated at the Olympics!

http://store.worldskatingmuseum.org/jewelry.html

Arianne

On the Ice
Well, I'm just wondering, but is Eman's lack of competitive success due to lack of mental concentration, or due to lack of training? Kurt Browning was pretty down on him and said something about his lack of commitment with training. Does anyone know how much truth there is to that?

Arianne said:
Well, I'm just wondering, but is Eman's lack of competitive success due to lack of mental concentration, or due to lack of training? Kurt Browning was pretty down on him and said something about his lack of commitment with training. Does anyone know how much truth there is to that?
Interesting 'wondering'. My feeling about certain skaters is that they have found a niche to show off their talent without really getting the mindset into it. There has to be an innate drive to excel. It takes work and patience. A skater has to have the joy in practice as well as the joy in competing. That's called love in what you do. Looking for the glamor is not enough.

I will not name those skaters, because it will only open a can of worms.

Joe